U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2014, 10:23 AM

547 posts, read 535,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaxhawMike View Post
How does a background in Ag give him a better understanding of the different ways of life across the county than say, someone with a background in banking or insurance?
He understands the way of life in Waxhaw because he lives there as well as they way of life in areas on the other side of the county that are largely agricultural. Additionally, his job with Cooperative Extension would have given him contact with people from all areas of the county as there are farms in all areas of the county.

Old 04-24-2014, 10:38 AM

71 posts, read 71,686 times
[quote=WaxhawMike;34502195]Here's some good old boy BOE logic for you... We must not split up a neighborhood, even though there are two sections that aren't physically connected. Those kids, living miles apart, must go to the same cluster. However, it's perfectly logical for a 9th grader and 10th grader that share a last name, live in the same house, and sleep in the same bedroom to be split up.

This is a great point, and it makes little sense to me. Something needed to be done, and with the new construction in the Marvin area, I assume more changes will come in the next few years. And, after driving through Weddington recently, I can only speculate that another redistricting and/or new schools will be needed for all the new residents. For sale signs, and new developments seems to pop up overnight in acreage. Wonder if the land near the end of Rea Rd. will be developed soon, because it seemed surveyors were out there recently...

Old 04-24-2014, 10:57 AM

1,031 posts, read 2,143,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raithfan View Post
Great to see some old faces back (and yes, we have been following the banter). Would love to get everyone's opinion on the up-coming elections. I am in a quandry on candidates. Have been following the forums, online discussions, etc. but still can't get a good feel for the crowd. I have reached out to them and heard back from most but would value your thoughts on the field.
I, like many of you, grew up here but moved away for a looooong time and have recently (relatively) moved back because, despite all the ass clownery, it is a good place to raise kids. I am caught between "the devil you know" (brown derby, wink wink) and the "tax, build (in the West), tax". There doesn't seem to be middle ground candidates, like Bubba said, that will benefit the entire county while still being good managers of the county funds.
Something HAS to give. Residential dev. can't pay the bills (especially with no impact fees). No one wants increased industrial base in their backyard (I don't want Waxhaw to look like Hwy 74 either) and the taxes aren't covering it (and tell me who dares say they will raise the taxes).
At the risk of being told I say this A LOT, we came from the Chicago 'burbs. Taxes were out of control. Higher that LI. And it all went to schools. I benefitted from those schools but in the end several sat empty while taxes continued to rise (I think that is why I am so adamant on this).
I have spoken to several people that feel that Sherri is smart and capable but I can't get past her developer ties. IMHO, residential dev. needs to be reigned in (Waxhaw needs to adjust its zoning restrictions) and an industrial tax base needs to be established...go ahead, I'm ready for the abuse.
You all are smart...what do you think a good direction for the county might be?
Lastly, I'm not looking for a fight...just your opinion. I'm not going to get into rich v poor, burbs v rural, etc. It's not worth the time. I am trying to have a better formed opinion.
Quite frankly..I am not a fan of any of them. Stone and Rushing are retreads that were instrumental in getting us where we are today. Jerry Simpson was part of the block vote with Thomas & Johnson. People are seem to forget that those 3 ran as a block. The new 3 that are running as a block seem like lightweights to me. Tracey I know, and I think she will do a good job if elected, but she bailed out last time when things got tough so I am bothered by that. Kim sat on Wesley Chapel's board but I don't know that she's up to running the county. Lance Johnson also seems nice enough, but also a lightweight. Served in the Navy which I really appreciate. The one thing that bothers me though is that he has only voted a couple of times since he registered. Doesn't seem all that interested. Clint Laster has developer ties as does Sherry. Clint like Lance, only has voted a couple of times in the years that he has been in the county. Sherry is a card carrying member of the BOI so, can't see me voting for her either.

Its going to come down at least for me, the lesser of evils. I don't like the idea of voting for block candidates, so that's a major strike in my book. None of the retreads to me are viable candidates, neither is the incumbent. What I am looking for in a candidate is one that can move the county along without putting all the burden on property owners. There's been little to no attempts by current or previous boards to bring in light industry or even service providers. We have some, but I see things that go to Indian Land, Ft. Mill or Cabarras county that could come here. The whole thing about selling off the hospital, outsourcing water and sewer and 1.5 times the cost, the DSS mess, the kill shelter, the UCPS suit, all this needs to get cleaned up. There needs to be an APO that is enforceable, but again it is going to take more than political lightweights to make that happen. There needs to be more than 5 people on the board, yet no one speaks of that. It would somewhat temper the idea of running 3 in a block would change the board. If the board was larger, and districts were used, then you wouldn't get people all bent out of shape about 3 running from the westside. So I don't know where that leaves us. I may just vote for those that are not incumbents and have not served previously.

Old 04-24-2014, 11:02 AM

18 posts, read 19,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlat View Post
Quite frankly..I am not a fan of any of them. Stone and Rushing are retreads that were instrumental in getting us where we are today. Jerry Simpson was part of the block vote with Thomas & Johnson. People are seem to forget that those 3 ran as a block. The new 3 that are running as a block seem like lightweights to me. Tracey I know, and I think she will do a good job if elected, but she bailed out last time when things got tough so I am bothered by that. Kim sat on Wesley Chapel's board but I don't know that she's up to running the county. Lance Johnson also seems nice enough, but also a lightweight. Served in the Navy which I really appreciate. The one thing that bothers me though is that he has only voted a couple of times since he registered. Doesn't seem all that interested. Clint Laster has developer ties as does Sherry. Clint like Lance, only has voted a couple of times in the years that he has been in the county. Sherry is a card carrying member of the BOI so, can't see me voting for her either.

Its going to come down at least for me, the lesser of evils. I don't like the idea of voting for block candidates, so that's a major strike in my book. None of the retreads to me are viable candidates, neither is the incumbent. What I am looking for in a candidate is one that can move the county along without putting all the burden on property owners. There's been little to no attempts by current or previous boards to bring in light industry or even service providers. We have some, but I see things that go to Indian Land, Ft. Mill or Cabarras county that could come here. The whole thing about selling off the hospital, outsourcing water and sewer and 1.5 times the cost, the DSS mess, the kill shelter, the UCPS suit, all this needs to get cleaned up. There needs to be an APO that is enforceable, but again it is going to take more than political lightweights to make that happen. There needs to be more than 5 people on the board, yet no one speaks of that. It would somewhat temper the idea of running 3 in a block would change the board. If the board was larger, and districts were used, then you wouldn't get people all bent out of shape about 3 running from the westside. So I don't know where that leaves us. I may just vote for those that are not incumbents and have not served previously.
I actually agree with you, that we need 3 independents on the board. Do we have a great slate, No. But I don't like the thought of putting in (or back in) a majority block. We need people who are going to have to debate the issues and then figure out a way to work together for the common good.

Old 04-24-2014, 11:20 AM

136 posts, read 157,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
I am completely with you raith and feel very much the same exact way... trying to see past the rhetoric is difficult at best. Most seem to be content warning us or throwing eggs at the CAPS 3 instead of explaining why another candidate might be better. Based on talking with people and historical reference, most of the other candidates are just simply retreads who helped get us into this situation in the first place. They'll just as likely be worse than better.

Smearing people or ideas without providing alternatives (when we all know something has to change) reminds me of the national agenda we see from the GOP nowadays... it's kind of sad and funny at the same time that our own UC politics are a microcosm of that big picture.
No obvious alternatives to go to. Time to look for the least-worst candidates. The CAPS three are not conservatives, and will bankrupt the county while on DiBasio's leash. Stone and Stony aren't heavyweights but might be the least-worst. I like Jerry Simpson. The wild-wild-west needs an advocate, not sure if there is a least-worst there.

Old 04-24-2014, 11:34 AM

547 posts, read 535,432 times
I also am leaning towards Stony Rushing. He has a good feel for what is going on in Union County. Hear his WIXE interview from earlier today. He seems a lot more knowledgeable than a lot of the other candidates. I agree with what he says about Horn's plan to push recall legislation and his view on blocks of candidates. Stony advocates voting for himself, Jerry Simpson and Clint Laster.

Starts at 99:00 mark. http://www.radiop1.com/wixe/?StationID=69&programid=596220&autoplay=y

Old 04-24-2014, 11:50 AM

124 posts, read 139,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlat View Post
I'm with you Mike to a point. But when I read the comments like those from the OP, it really starts to wear you down. People that have no skin in the game, come out and post ridiculous stuff like it was fact. It just gets pretty stupid after a while. This has been a big game from jump street. It had little to do with overcrowding, that was just the "convenient" truth. Everyone that has been involved with this from square one knows this, so for people to come here and post otherwise simply is just hot air.

You can argue geo-boundaries etc. but in the end, the facts are, most of MR stayed intact, while Cuthbertson and Weddington took it in the shorts. So to me, yes there are definitely neighborhood schools, you just have to live in the "right" neighborhood.

As far as Valhalla goes, yes they got hosed and so did Berkshire, who also made nice at the meetings. There was no reason that the line had to split Silver Creek and Berkshire. Pushing it back to Billy Howey would have been just fine, but then again, we don't know and will probably never know why lines where drawn as they were. The rep for that district certainly has been zero help to her constituents and as for the rest of the board, well they stuck it to the west side, so it's happy time for them.

I've tried too to be level headed, and mostly have failed in that respect. But I'm tired of the ass clownery from those that have no skin in the game acting like they have won some moral victory over us poor clod kickers that dare speak out over this clusterfluff.
Just a reminder that all UC taxpayers have skin in this game whether you like it or not, we all pay taxes and have a right to say how our tax money is spent just not the parents who have kids in UCPS.

Old 04-24-2014, 12:12 PM

386 posts, read 839,018 times
And the dividing of the redistricted kids has started. SVMS and MMS have scheduled things on the same night already. SVMS is doing their Evening at the Valley Game Night which is supposed to be an evening of fun and games for current and new students on May 8th. MMS has scheduled their new student orientation on the same night. So now I get to drop off my rising 9th grader at SVMS to have fun and because he is playing in the jazz band that night and we already committed to it while my rising 7th grader misses out on the fun so we can go to MMS for orientation.

Old 04-24-2014, 12:19 PM

5,783 posts, read 8,408,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catonc View Post
And the dividing of the redistricted kids has started. SVMS and MRMS have scheduled things on the same night already. SVMS is doing their Evening at the Valley Game Night which is supposed to be an evening of fun and games for current and new students on May 8th. MRMS has scheduled their new student orientation on the same night. So now I get to drop off my rising 9th grader at SVMS to have fun and because he is playing in the jazz band that night and we already committed to it while my rising 7th grader misses out on the fun so we can go to MRMS for orientation.
I'm not following this... Sun Valley and Marvin Ridge? There was no redistricting scenario involving those 2 clusters.

Old 04-24-2014, 12:20 PM

386 posts, read 839,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
I'm not following this... Sun Valley and Marvin Ridge? There was no redistricting scenario involving those 2 clusters.
sorry I mis-typed in my frustration. MMS not MRMS
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or