Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2014, 07:30 PM

6,150 posts, read 9,979,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd Jedd View Post
This is correct, which also means that any new schools or wings to provide relief are a good 6 to 8 years away, so we're likely to see some kind of redistricting again in 3 years.
It sucks. Honestly, that was my biggest beef - shooting for 5 years made it too big... and they're gonna miss anyway. So there has to be a plan tied to "upgrades" and infrastructure. There's no doubt UCPS could spend all $91m. I hope they know they're not getting that much - yet still is enough to pay for capital improvements. They have to build - everyone knows it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineCJ View Post
I love CAPS attempt but it's not about the average of the cluster or just about schools and scores.
Geography... lines... I'd like to see something more study like from them - or more detailed - or something. They don't seem to get what it really is about. They should come up with an analysis of where to draw the cluster lines - where to build a school, assign clusters - draft amendments - GPS coordinates - tax records - Watergate tapes... CAPS!

Old 04-30-2014, 07:51 PM

398 posts, read 612,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
It sucks. Honestly, that was my biggest beef - shooting for 5 years made it too big... and they're gonna miss anyway. So there has to be a plan tied to "upgrades" and infrastructure. There's no doubt UCPS could spend all $91m. I hope they know they're not getting that much - yet still is enough to pay for capital improvements. They have to build - everyone knows it.

Geography... lines... I'd like to see something more study like from them - or more detailed - or something. They don't seem to get what it really is about. They should come up with an analysis of where to draw the cluster lines - where to build a school, assign clusters - draft amendments - GPS coordinates - tax records - Watergate tapes... CAPS!
ROFL!!
Thanks....needed the levity

Old 04-30-2014, 08:00 PM

6,321 posts, read 10,269,968 times
Quote:
Geography... lines... I'd like to see something more study like from them - or more detailed - or something. They don't seem to get what it really is about. They should come up with an analysis of where to draw the cluster lines - where to build a school...
Haven't followed this that closely recently so serious question, has anyone done much of this? Looking back at the beginning of this thread, it's been almost 8 months since this buzz all started. I feel like in that amount of time we'd have seen some more specific alternatives.

Old 04-30-2014, 08:39 PM

451 posts, read 704,761 times
Quote:
Here is the problem.

They don't have any money. The county is clearly divided and it is not just west vs. east at this standpoint (it's now east vs. central vs west (and northwest vs southwest). It's clear after listening to WIXE and those forums that there is a problem and that the west side (i.e. the gang of three) could care less about anything east of 74. The current BoCC and all the BoCC candidates all know that taxes wil increase probably due to budget issues, the judgement and/or revaluation and as a result have already started to shift the blame to the BoE because its easy. And none of them have been smart enough to look at that enterprise entity (fund/fees/transfers/etc) to manage growth or make the new guys pay for growth. Water, sewer, and the bypass are the only long term ways out of this mess.

Old 04-30-2014, 09:04 PM

810 posts, read 2,284,288 times
Quote:
Well using CAPS average sales price by square foot analysis by cluster it does. Because it's all about what cluster you are in according to CAPS.

One of the main points that you, CAPS, and the rest of the anti-redistricting echo chamber folks make is that home values are primarily driven by school rankings/scores. Those school rankings/scores are "the most important factor". The "forced busing" of your kids from a high ranking cluster to a lower ranking cluster caused by redistricting will lower your property values as a direct result causing damages.

CAPS states the following...

"Over the past several weeks, a CAPS parent has been working with a couple of real estate agents to compare real estate values in each cluster. For just about every buyer, the most important factor in choosing their home is the assigned schools. We believe that this redistricting plan will result in a significant loss of value in the majority of affected homes...

...It is our opinion, and the opinion of the real estate agents we worked with, that this redistricting plan will have a significant negative impact on the real estate values for most of those that are affected. We strongly encourage you to contact your own real estate professional and get their opinion as well."

But let's look at Valhalla. It's moving from the Marvin Ridge Cluster (10, 10, 9) to the Cuthbertson Cluster (9.5, 10, 9). School rankings are the same therefore there should be no damage using CAPS logic, not to mention the fact that they are in Marvin and "rich" so who cares about them let alone Marvin sales price averages. But wait a second, Cuthbertson average sales per square foot is $99.25 on average and $99.84 for houses with 3,000-3,500 SQF. This is a real problem for a couple of sellers back in there who are trying to get about $170/SQF right now with similar sized houses. Sure they have some land, 2-4 acres, but its a big stretch for a 70% premium. You can get that with Marvin comps but you can't get that with Cuthbertson comps and I'm really not aware of any neighborhoods like Valhalla down there unlike in Marvin and Weddington. But hey using CAPS logic it's not going to be a problem for them because the scores are the same.

Let's take the score logic further.

Cuthbertson Cluster (9.5, 10, 9) vs. Weddington Cluster (9.7, 10, 8). Wow, Cuthbertson is better than Weddington, who knew. But wait a second, Weddington has an average of $109.33/SQF while Cuthbertson is $99.25 and in small houses of 2,500-2,999 SQF Weddington is $120.73 while Cuthbertson is $99.25. Weddington has a 10-20% premium but it's schools are worse. How can this be when, "For just about every buyer, the most important factor in choosing their home is the assigned schools." Those people in Weddington are so stupid.

I love CAPS attempt but it's not about the average of the cluster or just about schools and scores.
Fairfax Farms which is in the Cuthbertson cluster is probably similar to Valhalla in regards to land and homes.

Old 04-30-2014, 10:22 PM

6,150 posts, read 9,979,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Haven't followed this that closely recently so serious question, has anyone done much of this? Looking back at the beginning of this thread, it's been almost 8 months since this buzz all started. I feel like in that amount of time we'd have seen some more specific alternatives.
I was kind of serious because you're right - there's been really nothing in that amount of time. There were the Dude and Rally "reports"... if there was anything more official like, I didn't see it. Croal got to present his to the BOCC - which was really a joke as it was as much conspiracy as it was analysis. Rally was a modified Princeton Plan, multiple transitions, etc.

Nobody was willing to take on anything that included at least some redistricting, so they were doomed to take the UCPS administration's plan.

To this day, the organized loud groups are just about stopping and/or reversing the redistricting. They won't admit that some people had to be moved.

Quote:
Here is the problem.

They don't have any money. The county is clearly divided and it is not just west vs. east at this standpoint (it's now east vs. central vs west (and northwest vs southwest). It's clear after listening to WIXE and those forums that there is a problem and that the west side (i.e. the gang of three) could care less about anything east of 74. The current BoCC and all the BoCC candidates all know that taxes wil increase probably due to budget issues, the judgement and/or revaluation and as a result have already started to shift the blame to the BoE because its easy. And none of them have been smart enough to look at that enterprise entity (fund/fees/transfers/etc) to manage growth or make the new guys pay for growth. Water, sewer, and the bypass are the only long term ways out of this mess.
It's really in everyone's best interest to make other clusters (i.e. Parkwood and Sun Valley) better... Sure, they won't get 90MM - but they will get some portion of that (even if it's just on paper) to improve the facilities through the whole county. They should be able to build, improve, or add-on to existing school(s). Taxes are going up regardless.

It goes back to the BOCC elections we discussed in this thread. Managing the growth is tied to the schools in so many ways. It can't be East vs. West forever... they'll just keep packing into the Northwest corner because developers know they'll have the 3 newest and "best" high schools land locked.

Old 05-01-2014, 08:19 AM

527 posts, read 736,178 times
Quote:
Well using CAPS average sales price by square foot analysis by cluster it does. Because it's all about what cluster you are in according to CAPS.
I can't even keep up with what point you are trying to make anymore. Bottom line, in general, people are willing to pay a premium for a home in a highly rated school district. That is a statistical truth that can't be argued (unless of course you went to the BOE school of core capacity calculations where real numbers don't matter). Arguing between MR, Cuthbertson, and Weddington is just splitting hairs.

Quote:
the anti-redistricting echo chamber folks
LOL, passive agressive much?

Old 05-01-2014, 08:23 AM

Quote:
To this day, the organized loud groups are just about stopping and/or reversing the redistricting. They won't admit that some people had to be moved.
Because no one has presented any FACTS showing that some had to be moved. Core capacity is a joke at best, and for some reason MCR's are not an option at Kensington but they are at every single older school in the county... and you can take this to the bank, MCR's will be added to Sun Valley and Monroe in the next 24 months while seats sit empty at Cuthbertson. How's that for filling empty seats?

Old 05-01-2014, 08:30 AM

18 posts, read 22,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaxhawMike View Post
Because no one has presented any FACTS showing that some had to be moved. Core capacity is a joke at best, and for some reason MCR's are not an option at Kensington but they are at every single older school in the county... and you can take this to the bank, MCR's will be added to Sun Valley and Monroe in the next 24 months while seats sit empty at Cuthbertson. How's that for filling empty seats?
From what I understand no additional MCRs are an option at Kensington as they are land locked. There is just no room to put any.

Old 05-01-2014, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrobertson005 View Post
From what I understand no additional MCRs are an option at Kensington as they are land locked. There is just no room to put any.
Where did you get that understanding? We were led to believe a lot of things during the "process" unfortunately most of it was hooey made up to support a predetermined result.

I wish the people on this forum, not you jrob, were as passionate about getting facts from UCPS and the BOE as they are about discrediting concerned parents.

Plaintiffs suing UCPS irate at lack of studies - myfoxcarolinas.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte