U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-08-2014, 10:01 PM

1,226 posts, read 1,044,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
My reference to a "change" was my own experience with previous meetings. To deny the BoE is avoiding a scene is disingenuous - we all know it's coming.

I wasn't suggesting you do anything of the like - it would have taken you less time to link the person to the proper place. Instead you like to drone on "correcting" people and talking down to them. You're not helping your own case and are "beating your head" all by your self. You seem perfectly content not providing any helpful information and trying to make others look foolish. <hint> it's not working.

I would - except they are NOT posted... The last minutes from a facility meeting are up from Nov 6th. There are no minutes posted for either the Nov 25th or Jan 6th meeting. Meanwhile regular board meeting minutes are already up from Jan 7th. You appear to be the confused one and should check before you make yourself look sillier.

They released an edited spreadsheet showing numbers modified by cluster and a poorly written half arse presentation deck with no substance. You seem to be OK with "pretty obvious" from public officials. I'm not and I have every right to be... There is no transparency... there is no documentation... how many times have they gone through this? Nobody took the time to document a process? Nobody will document what has happened at the last TWO facility meetings? I'm glad you're OK with that, but I have every right to question it.

Honestly, you seem as confused as everyone else... Of course they're working on it between meetings - that's my entire point. Save the memo and share working session minutes - minutes from a recent public meeting... Share the numbers they're looking at BY SUBDIVISION - be it students, forecasts, or distance to each school... You like to "assume the obvious" - and it's quite obvious they have those datapoints. How about sharing any of that for starters? and again, you're confused. The presentation is not about "how"... I saw it at the meeting and it's posted online. Go back and re-read it so you can let us all know "how" they will get to those numbers. Oh wait, let me guess... they're going to move kids around! what a shocker... The overall process and decision making should be transparent and it's not. Period.
So elected officials should disregard their set meeting times from each month, and instead call you to ask if you are planning to attend, and if so, what time you attended your last meeting, regardless of what TYPE of meeting, so that they can plan it at that same time. Oh, ok. I get it now.

I'm shocked.....really. Where did you find the board minutes from Jan 7th? I've never, in any of my experience with an elected board, seen published minutes until they are typed up, read, and then voted on for approval, and passed at the next meetings. Please post a link for us to see, and I vow not to make another comment on this subject and agree they are all sneaky SOB. And I will also admit that I know nothing compared to your obvious grasp on the political activity in this county. And i will vote against ALL of them with you, next time they are up for election. Just so that we are clear, since you seem confused about the process, we are talking about:
-UCBOE
-in NC
-jan 7th meeting
-minutes..of THAT meeting..not agenda, not the minutes from Dec's meeting, not copies of policies they were discussing, Jan 7 MINUTES.

Old 01-08-2014, 10:16 PM

Quote:

Honestly, you seem as confused as everyone else... Of course they're working on it between meetings - that's my entire point. Save the memo and share working session minutes - minutes from a recent public meeting... Share the numbers they're looking at BY SUBDIVISION - be it students, forecasts, or distance to each school... You like to "assume the obvious" - and it's quite obvious they have those datapoints. How about sharing any of that for starters? and again, you're confused. The presentation is not about "how"... I saw it at the meeting and it's posted online. Go back and re-read it so you can let us all know "how" they will get to those numbers. Oh wait, let me guess... they're going to move kids around! what a shocker... The overall process and decision making should be transparent and it's not. Period.
I don't know why I bother, but here it goes;
Staff is working on maps and plans. There are no "minutes", it is not a public meeting. Do you take minutes when your boss assigns you a project?

Old 01-09-2014, 07:29 AM

97 posts, read 79,209 times
Well I guess everyone is going to have their own opinion on this. Guess the bottom line is they can do what ever they want and we have to make our own decisions on what we have to do to give our kids a better education. My neighbor is a reporter for CNBC and started to talk about it on the 5:30 pm news last night. I'm guessing the numbers will drop because most people will probably pull their kids out and home school. I drove to Parkwood myself last night and it's 12 miles and 24 minutes (me driving not a bus) it's in the middle of nowhere. I will probably opt to move and let my home go since property values will drop so much. I think If it affects my neighborhood they probably will stop selling homes for a long time. Some neighborhoods have board members living in them like Quellin, Cureton so they are probably safe. Well I guess we all have to wait and stress until Tuesday 14th to find out whose affected. I'm guessing with 5800 students being affected they will probably have every county and town law enforcement agency there. I'm sure it's going to get ugly real fast. This will probably go down as the worst re district ever because the BOE has no clue how to fore see what's happening. Good luck everyone.

Old 01-09-2014, 07:50 AM

3,474 posts, read 3,350,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GONYMETS View Post
Thanks for correcting me. I apologize to anyone who was offended by a school 3 rating. Parkwood is a "4"
I also went on school digger just to make sure I don't make any more mistakes and I see that they have school rankings of ALL schools in NC. You can rank just the High schools. Cuthbertson is 18 th Parkwood is 275 th and that is in the state of NC out of 564 High schools. So Parkwood is not the worst but but being in the top 20 out of that is very good since it's only be open for 5 yrs. I guess I'm wondering why a school that has been rated so low for awhile has not been addressed by the BOE as to why and what needs to change to make it better.
No, it is not nearly as good as Cuthbertson, but most of these numbers you keep spewing have Parkwood rated as pretty average. Actually greatschools is the only place I've seen as it being rated below average (although the middle school is rated a 7). But 275th out of 564 is better than average, as is the B- rating Parkwood got on the Niche.com website you recommended us visit. It's also rated a 3 out of 5 on schooldigger.

Yet you've said things like "why doesn't the BOE focus on improving this school?" as if it's one of the worst schools in the state when it's not. There are other schools in the same county that would need more improvement, such as Monroe HS. On the bright side, at least this whole situation will probably prevent some people on this forum from making generalizations like "Union County schools are great." Yes, some of them are but not all and you are not guaranteed a great public school just because it was zoned to one when you moved there.

You keep asking who is responsible for their low rating and blaming it all on the teachers. So do you think you will be helping improve the situation by walking away from your house??? If others do the same and all of the redistricted neighborhoods are full of vacant homes and foreclosures, don't you think that will give people even less of an incentive to move into the Parkwood district than they have now?

Old 01-09-2014, 08:22 AM

5,119 posts, read 4,897,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc0789 View Post
So elected officials should disregard their set meeting times from each month, and instead call you to ask if you are planning to attend, and if so, what time you attended your last meeting, regardless of what TYPE of meeting, so that they can plan it at that same time. Oh, ok. I get it now.
Like I said, you're not cute or funny and don't have a good grasp of writing sarcasm... you're bad at it and it makes you look silly.

Quote:
I'm shocked.....really. Where did you find the board minutes from Jan 7th? I've never, in any of my experience with an elected board, seen published minutes until they are typed up, read, and then voted on for approval, and passed at the next meetings. Please post a link for us to see, and I vow not to make another comment on this subject and agree they are all sneaky SOB. And I will also admit that I know nothing compared to your obvious grasp on the political activity in this county. And i will vote against ALL of them with you, next time they are up for election. Just so that we are clear, since you seem confused about the process, we are talking about:
-UCBOE
-in NC
-jan 7th meeting
-minutes..of THAT meeting..not agenda, not the minutes from Dec's meeting, not copies of policies they were discussing, Jan 7 MINUTES.
Deflect all you want - avoid the ultimate point and harp on what I'm writing quickly on an anonymous forum... Whether it's an agenda or minutes I was focusing on the fact that they posted something... Let me go slow here so I don't confuse you...

- On the BOE Meeting Documents site, there are nothing (zero, zip, nada) posted for reference from the last 2 facilities meetings. They had time to review and post MINUTES from the Dec 10 Board meeting and the agenda for the Jan 7th Board meeting. Nothing posted from the Nov 25th facilities meeting... nothing posted from the Jan 6th meeting...

Stop deflecting and address my point... NOTHING posted from the past 2 facilities meetings.

I believe we all would agree that what the facilities meeting is doing over the past month bears the most important and impactful decision in the entire process... they are deciding what kids move where... everything else is a bunch of fluff. Let me repeat again to be sure you got it - what they have been doing in the past 2 facilities meetings (and between the meetings recently) is the biggest of the big deals. So this is where they need the most transparency and frighteningly they have given the LEAST - in fact, they have given NONE.

I can't make 8:30am meetings during the week and I want to stay informed... the facilities committee is not allowing me to... I have to rely on hearsay, twitter feeds, and anonymous forums for info - which is really just that - 2nd hand info. Where is the communications from the committee?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc0789 View Post
I don't know why I bother, but here it goes;
Staff is working on maps and plans. There are no "minutes", it is not a public meeting. Do you take minutes when your boss assigns you a project?
Frankly, I don't know why I bother... but here goes: These are PUBLIC officials - elected or appointed. They don't get the luxury of doing a private sector job. If they don't like it, guess what? Resign, don't run again, walk away... otherwise, as a publicly elected or appointed official, you answer to ME. Like it or not. You seem OK with "we got it from here" and letting them work behind closed doors - nope... Those emails and those texts for "BOE business"... all public record and can be requested - we get to read them. To compare this to my boss and a project I may be assigned in the private sector is the silliest of all your posts so far.

What I find the most funny about your lame attempts at arguing with me is not how bad you are at it... although, you really are... It's how I now believe you simply don't know what transparency means in a public official setting. They don't get to "work on it" and then come show us the final draft... transparency is letting everyone know HOW you came to the recommendation... what INPUTS did you use into making your decisions... what weighting factors did you assign these inputs into the ultimate decision - was geographical distance twice as important as forecasted middle school counts, was it equally as important? or most importantly - did subdivision A get special treatment because you live there or someone is a good customer of your business? Without full transparency it's too easy to abuse the privilege afforded to this small committee making such a huge decision in the overall process. How do you not get it? Now I'm the one beating my head.

Old 01-09-2014, 08:28 AM

97 posts, read 79,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
No, it is not nearly as good as Cuthbertson, but most of these numbers you keep spewing have Parkwood rated as pretty average. Actually greatschools is the only place I've seen as it being rated below average (although the middle school is rated a 7). But 275th out of 564 is better than average, as is the B- rating Parkwood got on the Niche.com website you recommended us visit. It's also rated a 3 out of 5 on schooldigger.

Yet you've said things like "why doesn't the BOE focus on improving this school?" as if it's one of the worst schools in the state when it's not. There are other schools in the same county that would need more improvement, such as Monroe HS. On the bright side, at least this whole situation will probably prevent some people on this forum from making generalizations like "Union County schools are great." Yes, some of them are but not all and you are not guaranteed a great public school just because it was zoned to one when you moved there.

You keep asking who is responsible for their low rating and blaming it all on the teachers. So do you think you will be helping improve the situation by walking away from your house??? If others do the same and all of the redistricted neighborhoods are full of vacant homes and foreclosures, don't you think that will give people even less of an incentive to move into the Parkwood district than they have now?
I don't have control of what EVERYONE else does. Sounds like you are a fan of Parkwood. And that's fine that's your opinion. And if you think average is good for your children then again good for you. Also be inclined to look at test scores before you try to make it seem as if they don't need to fix that school. If I chose to walk away from my home that's MY decision. As far as a 3 Star or a 5 star well let's just say it could look ok in that sense unless you compare that to a hotel. I would rather be a 5 star. Again just MY opinion. I think my children deserve more than average. So why do you think Parkwood is 275 and not in the Top 20 ? How come their scores are low? Why isn't it a 9 grade like Cuthberson,Marvin,weddington? And why are there more incidents there also w kids. Just curious what your answer is because just being out in the country shouldn't effect how kids are taught right ? Just help me figure out those questions and maybe it will give me something to think about.

Old 01-09-2014, 09:09 AM

3,474 posts, read 3,350,968 times
Quote:
I don't have control of what EVERYONE else does. Sounds like you are a fan of Parkwood. And that's fine that's your opinion. And if you think average is good for your children then again good for you. Also be inclined to look at test scores before you try to make it seem as if they don't need to fix that school. If I chose to walk away from my home that's MY decision. As far as a 3 Star or a 5 star well let's just say it could look ok in that sense unless you compare that to a hotel. I would rather be a 5 star. Again just MY opinion. I think my children deserve more than average. So why do you think Parkwood is 275 and not in the Top 20 ? How come their scores are low? Why isn't it a 9 grade like Cuthberson,Marvin,weddington? And why are there more incidents there also w kids. Just curious what your answer is because just being out in the country shouldn't effect how kids are taught right ? Just help me figure out those questions and maybe it will give me something to think about.
I already answered that. I think the most important factor (no, not the only one) in many of the things you are listing is the income levels of the families there. That's great that you want your kid to be in a school surrounded by kids that come from upper middle class families, and yes I'd probably rather that environment for my kids (which I don't have) if given the choice, but it's not the end of the world if they go to a school that has a more diverse socioeconomic population, which might prepare them better for the real world. In my opinion, it would be foolish to trash your credit score and go from a house to an apartment just so your kid can go to a "9 or 10 rated school" for 2 years. If your kid is a good enough student and you are a good enough parent then your kid should still be able to get into a good college regardless of what high school they go to.

Oh, and you want to talk about test scores? The average SAT score at Cuthbertson is a whole 18 points higher than at Parkwood.

And speaking of teachers. Parkwood has 1% more "Fully Licensed Teachers" than Cuthbertson. Both Parkwood and Cuthberson have 100% of their classes taught by "Highly Qualified Teachers." (Parkwood has been 100% the last 2 years whereas Cuthbertson was 97% in 2011-2012). Parkwood has a much lower teacher turnover rate than Cuthbertson. I'm not saying Parkwood is a better school than Cuthbertson. But maybe it wouldn't be quite as much of a travesty as you're making it out to be if your kid is redistricted there.

Old 01-09-2014, 09:19 AM

4 posts, read 4,036 times
For those of us keep scores at home Parkwood High is now @ 5 out of 10 on greatschools.org & Parkwood Middle is now 8 out of 10. It's quite interesting! Last I checked the HS was 4/10 & MS 7/10.

Old 01-09-2014, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Like I said, you're not cute or funny and don't have a good grasp of writing sarcasm... you're bad at it and it makes you look silly.

Deflect all you want - avoid the ultimate point and harp on what I'm writing quickly on an anonymous forum... Whether it's an agenda or minutes I was focusing on the fact that they posted something... Let me go slow here so I don't confuse you...

- On the BOE Meeting Documents site, there are nothing (zero, zip, nada) posted for reference from the last 2 facilities meetings. They had time to review and post MINUTES from the Dec 10 Board meeting and the agenda for the Jan 7th Board meeting. Nothing posted from the Nov 25th facilities meeting... nothing posted from the Jan 6th meeting...

Stop deflecting and address my point... NOTHING posted from the past 2 facilities meetings.

I believe we all would agree that what the facilities meeting is doing over the past month bears the most important and impactful decision in the entire process... they are deciding what kids move where... everything else is a bunch of fluff. Let me repeat again to be sure you got it - what they have been doing in the past 2 facilities meetings (and between the meetings recently) is the biggest of the big deals. So this is where they need the most transparency and frighteningly they have given the LEAST - in fact, they have given NONE.

I can't make 8:30am meetings during the week and I want to stay informed... the facilities committee is not allowing me to... I have to rely on hearsay, twitter feeds, and anonymous forums for info - which is really just that - 2nd hand info. Where is the communications from the committee?

Frankly, I don't know why I bother... but here goes: These are PUBLIC officials - elected or appointed. They don't get the luxury of doing a private sector job. If they don't like it, guess what? Resign, don't run again, walk away... otherwise, as a publicly elected or appointed official, you answer to ME. Like it or not. You seem OK with "we got it from here" and letting them work behind closed doors - nope... Those emails and those texts for "BOE business"... all public record and can be requested - we get to read them. To compare this to my boss and a project I may be assigned in the private sector is the silliest of all your posts so far.

What I find the most funny about your lame attempts at arguing with me is not how bad you are at it... although, you really are... It's how I now believe you simply don't know what transparency means in a public official setting. They don't get to "work on it" and then come show us the final draft... transparency is letting everyone know HOW you came to the recommendation... what INPUTS did you use into making your decisions... what weighting factors did you assign these inputs into the ultimate decision - was geographical distance twice as important as forecasted middle school counts, was it equally as important? or most importantly - did subdivision A get special treatment because you live there or someone is a good customer of your business? Without full transparency it's too easy to abuse the privilege afforded to this small committee making such a huge decision in the overall process. How do you not get it? Now I'm the one beating my head.
Ok, so there is no minutes yet, you mispoke. And there was no change in time "last minute", you would just prefer them to meet at a more convenient time for you, even though they always meet at 8:30 am.....hey, I don't disagree with you, someone probably should have thought ahead and didn't, but it was hardly deceitful and a conspiracy, is my point. They did do it for next meeting upon someones request.
Again, the elected officials don't come up with the plan, they vote to approve, deny, or alter it.....all in a public setting.
If minutes were approved, and not posted, I would email Rob Jackson, I'm sure he sometimes makes mistakes.

Old 01-09-2014, 09:31 AM

980 posts, read 944,149 times
Quote:
There are plenty of studies of why kids in rural or urban schools perform differently, you just need to continue your research.

for example: In her 2002 dissertation study, Susan Taylor found that parents in rural settings set lower educational expectations for their children who, conversely, had lower academic aspirations than their urban and suburban counterparts.

I can say for a fact my husband graduate from a small high school in upstate NY which had a major University also in the town. There are the kids that lived there because their parents liked being in a "rural" setting, some of them in that case were going to be farmers like their parents. Their high school scores were not as good as say the professor of the University's children that attended the same school.

I would also say from what has been said I would guess Parkwood is much more diverse, and to be honest it is better to learn about diversity younger than be blindsided by it as an adult either at college or at your place of employment.

The teachers teaching at Parkwood interviewed with Union County, the same applications will come for any school when they need to hire new teachers at some school to accommodate the adjustments. They do NOT pick a lesser qualified candidate because it is Parkwood. The teachers want nothing more than to teach, and as many students in their class that WANT to learn.

I do know several teachers frustrated as heck with some select few at every school that have little desire to learn, no matter who their parents are or what their parents say. There are also those students who have parents that do not have the same aspirations as you or even I have, but to be honest those people are needed as well.

Just because a student may not want to go to a 4 year college, but wants to work on cars does not make that person bad (just an example where we used to live many had chosen this path even those with father's that were professionals)

And no just being in more rural does not effect how they are taught, they have to be there wanting to learn. Statistically Parkwood probably represents the "real world" better, there are many lessons in that just opposed to what is learned in a classroom.

I would say while law enforcement mentions the problems at Parkwood (which you have not mentioned what they have said) you can also say that there have been incidences at other schools or in neighborhoods in the county with things like drinking and drugs. There was a drug bust at MR in the middle of the cafeteria when my oldest was a freshman (I believe I have the year right) she watched them go undercover and watched the girl try to flee the cops as they took her down and walked her out.

I do believe the major issue students go to a different school altogether, across from the Waxhaw Public Library.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte