Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2014, 09:33 AM

527 posts, read 736,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaHelms View Post
I know you weren't asking me, but no.

District 1-No
District 3-Maybe
District 4-No
District 6-Yes
At-Large-Maybe [But not (United) guy. It really depends on if people have an alternative option.]

All five? No way.

https://boe.ucps.k12.nc.us/districtmap.php
http://fpc.ucps.k12.nc.us/documents/..._Locations.pdf
That map sucks, the Board of Elections has a much better version...

http://www.co.union.nc.us/Portals/0/BOE/Maps/school.pdf

Old 05-08-2014, 09:45 AM

124 posts, read 160,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrobertson005 View Post
Will the same "puppet masters" run a slate for the BOE in your opinion as I believe the majority of the seats are up this November? And given the May results, do you think they could sweep all of the seats in November?
I think they will try but I also think that voters will be reminded of the attack on Connie W, which only seeing the one post and her saying nothing different than CAPS, the Croal report and everyone else who was anti-redistricting was saying, without clear concrete proof that she was indeed "blackmailing" will backfire on them again. That was evil, vile, underhanded and worse than what the BOE did as far as I'm concerned in reference to redistricting. I'm thinking that the Judge isn't going to be so friendly when they go back to court being they were releasing discovery to the media that was meant to be for their court case. Also, I think if they lose this court case that voters aren't going to be too impressed with their tax dollars being wasted on a frivolous lawsuit. Their main objective if they did win a majority would be to immediately reverse the redistricting and with explosive growth once again occurring in the western part of the county they would then have to redistrict once more in a year or so to make room for those new families.

Old 05-08-2014, 10:03 AM

527 posts, read 736,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCTaxPayer View Post
Connie W, which only seeing the one post and her saying nothing different than CAPS, the Croal report and everyone else who was anti-redistricting was saying
Really? Everyone else came forward publicly with their findings (valid or not) and said we need to stop because there are inaccuracies. This is distinctly different than sending private messages saying that you'll sit on information as long as it goes your way. You really don't see the difference?

Old 05-08-2014, 10:25 AM

398 posts, read 612,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaxhawMike View Post
Really? Everyone else came forward publicly with their findings (valid or not) and said we need to stop because there are inaccuracies. This is distinctly different than sending private messages saying that you'll sit on information as long as it goes your way. You really don't see the difference?
Perhaps I'm biased (yeah...who am I foolin' ) but I didn't read it that way. I read it more as "why fuel the fire more". I saw no "threat". Again, I think we are all coming from different perspectives and all tend to put emphasis where it will benefit our case/cause. I know I am guilty but in most instances all of us do it unintentionally. We see what we want or don't want to see.

Old 05-08-2014, 10:27 AM

136 posts, read 179,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooLogical View Post
The way I understand it, there are 3 options they can take:
  1. Do nothing. Let the vote stand as is.
  2. Kim AND Tracy request a revote. Then Lance, Stoney, Kim and Tracy would have a runoff for 2 spots. They are still guaranteed 1 seat, but could they push out Stoney? If they take this path, their best bet is to really only promote 2 candidates and hope there aren't accidental votes for the 3rd.
  3. Kim OR Tracy request a runoff (just one). Lance would be safe it would be a two way runoff between Stoney and _____ for the last seat.

Lots of strategy behind those decisions I'm sure.
Not so much strategy really. Jerry's support reluctantly goes to Stoney, Lance probably can't ride the "my name sounds local" boost a second time.

Scenario 1: Jerry, Lance, Stoney

Scenario 2: Jerry, Stoney, Lance

Scenario 3: Jerry, Lance, Stoney

Don't see much of a point, but a group of County Commissioners throwing $80K on the bonfire will be good practice for what they'll do in office.

Old 05-08-2014, 10:40 AM

12 posts, read 16,803 times
Default Good Points Here

Everyone here has some good stuff to think about. Maybe I am a simpleton, but where I'm from the BOE never controlled much more than the readin n writin n math. They seem to have a lot more power here. Maybe good, maybe bad. I keep hearing from both sides that this is about opening up school seats for development in the west and filling school seats around IT/Monroe so that new schools will have to be built to replace old ones there. Any merit to this? Seems that a lot of folks are kind of caught in the middle. I think I just let it slip who I think is really benefitting from everyone else's pain ... school seats seem to be a hot commodity around these parts, especially newer ones.

Old 05-08-2014, 10:51 AM

12 posts, read 16,803 times
Why doesn't the BOE make some projections as to where the think new schools will go in the future and let some of the developers get ahead of things a little bit? Could pacify some folks in these redistrictings too if they thought things were temporary and there was a plan. Seems like a school in Wes Chap or Min Sprgs would buffer development in all directions?

Old 05-08-2014, 10:57 AM

631 posts, read 883,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waxhawdoc View Post
Not so much strategy really. Jerry's support reluctantly goes to Stoney, Lance probably can't ride the "my name sounds local" boost a second time.

Scenario 1: Jerry, Lance, Stoney

Scenario 2: Jerry, Stoney, Lance

Scenario 3: Jerry, Lance, Stoney

Don't see much of a point, but a group of County Commissioners throwing $80K on the bonfire will be good practice for what they'll do in office.
I'd say you're spot on with the outcome. Will be waiting to see how we get there.

Old 05-08-2014, 10:59 AM

13 posts, read 18,595 times
Quote:
Everyone came forward publicly? Not so. Out of all of the public forums where public comments were allowed, how many actually spoke up? Granted, there was a limit, which in itself says not all in attendance spoke up. What "everyone else" DID do, is exercise their right to send emails to intentionally flood the BOE and other UCPS employees inboxes, as did Connie W. What information she supposedly "sat on" is the same information that those who DID speak up at public forums shared with the BOE. What she did NOT do was send irate, condescending emails, and therefore probably made some headway in getting her point across simply because of her approach.

This is the most ridiculously asinine attack to date. This woman agreed with redistricting, sent civil emails, argued what everyone knew - that splitting a neighborhood was stupid - and BAM now she's a criminal. Give me a break.

Old 05-08-2014, 11:01 AM

124 posts, read 160,313 times
Quote:
What did she really say that was any different than the Croal report or CAPS? They only showed one post and in the response from the BOE member she was emailing he didn't seem concerned at all. He didn't act like someone who was being blackmailed at all. If someone was truly being blackmailed it would have been shown in his response to her. There was nothing there unless they withheld part of the email response. It was still an evil, vile thing to do no matter which way you slice it. That was part of their discovery process which should have come out in court FIRST not fed to the media the night before the election took place and especially to a "reporter" who went to Weddington High school. Can we say bias on his part? None of the other major news outlets or newspapers carried that story (unless I totally missed it) so that should tell you something. It was a totally calculated move on their part and one that seemingly backfired a bit!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte