U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2014, 10:20 AM

46 posts, read 59,116 times

Advertisements

Agree with you MikeyKid. Hodges and Savage appeared to be all in it for the people, but they showed they are not EFFECTIVE leaders. Marce walked out, and Hodges failed to bring a motion to bring other neighborhoods back in like what was done for Millbridge. They will not automatically get my vote just because they were part of the opposition. I hope the CAPS group puts up some good people. Even though I'm against their lawsuit and their tactics, I may still support their candidate. My vote changed several times during the BOCC race because of their supporters and backers. How they handle the BOE race is going to be key in how the vote turns out.

Old 05-10-2014, 10:53 AM

55 posts, read 63,406 times
Hello all, and thanks for the welcome. It's nice to be talking with some informed people with opposing viewpoints, as well as some who share mine. Let me say this, being as honest as I can be, CAPS doesn't use or condone the tactics you all here have talked about. No personal attacks or anything like that are tolerated. None. I think what has happened is that a few people on both sides of this that have been fighting on Facebook and elsewhere from the start are still at it. Personal spats that go back months are bringing the rest of us down. Believe me, I have seen some of these people yell at each other. It has nothing to do with the rest of us, who want to engage in reasoned debate. When I said the BOE wouldn't talk to me, that probably wasn't quite accurate. In my case, the BOE misled me. First, I was told there wouldn't be any redistricting, then I was told that my area wouldn't be affected. All was okay. Then the maps came out moving me. From that point on, the BOE wouldn't respond to any of my inquiries. They went completely silent on me. Then the rush vote was a big slap in the face. I have tried to stay productive and positive throughout. All I ever wanted was to know that there is a long term plan of some kind, that this isn't how we are going to deal with capacity problems every time. My hope for the lawsuit was that it would prompt discussions again. I don't think that will happen now because of the few that are so involved in fighting on both sides. My goal has always been to clean up the process so that we don't repeat mistakes again in three years. That's it. Lots of people share this view.

Old 05-10-2014, 11:17 AM

5,783 posts, read 8,410,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPSMEMBER View Post
Hello all, and thanks for the welcome. It's nice to be talking with some informed people with opposing viewpoints, as well as some who share mine. Let me say this, being as honest as I can be, CAPS doesn't use or condone the tactics you all here have talked about. No personal attacks or anything like that are tolerated. None. I think what has happened is that a few people on both sides of this that have been fighting on Facebook and elsewhere from the start are still at it. Personal spats that go back months are bringing the rest of us down. Believe me, I have seen some of these people yell at each other. It has nothing to do with the rest of us, who want to engage in reasoned debate. When I said the BOE wouldn't talk to me, that probably wasn't quite accurate. In my case, the BOE misled me. First, I was told there wouldn't be any redistricting, then I was told that my area wouldn't be affected. All was okay. Then the maps came out moving me. From that point on, the BOE wouldn't respond to any of my inquiries. They went completely silent on me. Then the rush vote was a big slap in the face. I have tried to stay productive and positive throughout. All I ever wanted was to know that there is a long term plan of some kind, that this isn't how we are going to deal with capacity problems every time. My hope for the lawsuit was that it would prompt discussions again. I don't think that will happen now because of the few that are so involved in fighting on both sides. My goal has always been to clean up the process so that we don't repeat mistakes again in three years. That's it. Lots of people share this view.
Thank you for sharing... Please continue to participate in the discussions here. I wish I have seen more of this reasonable point of view from the CAPS PR machine.

Old 05-10-2014, 11:24 AM

If I had to sum up what has bothered me in the redistricting process, it's that the BOE spent so much time reassuring people who weren't being moved and garnering their support, and so little time honestly talking to us that were being moved about exactly why. They could have explained what their plan is to make sure that kids aren't being bussed 15 miles next time, instead of 10. We're pretty smart, and pretty reasonable, and pretty willing to make necessary sacrifices for the good of the county, but you have to be straight with us. I and many of my friends are still willing to have that conversation.

Old 05-10-2014, 11:27 AM

As for the PR machine, it's fun to see yourself in the news for about 5 minutes, then it becomes a decided negative! Anonymity is underrated!

Old 05-10-2014, 11:59 AM

113 posts, read 123,090 times
Quote:
As for the PR machine, it's fun to see yourself in the news for about 5 minutes, then it becomes a decided negative! Anonymity is underrated!
I am sure Connie feels the same way (Especially when a story was manipulated by members of CAPS and not at all accurate)

Old 05-10-2014, 12:07 PM

149 posts, read 475,952 times
Quote:
If I had to sum up what has bothered me in the redistricting process, it's that the BOE spent so much time reassuring people who weren't being moved and garnering their support, and so little time honestly talking to us that were being moved about exactly why. They could have explained what their plan is to make sure that kids aren't being bussed 15 miles next time, instead of 10. We're pretty smart, and pretty reasonable, and pretty willing to make necessary sacrifices for the good of the county, but you have to be straight with us. I and many of my friends are still willing to have that conversation.
Thanks for your input Capsmember!
I was unaware of assurances by the BOE that certain people wouldnt be impacted.

I did feel that Webb explained the methodology behind the assignments, but again- I am hearing it from a different perspective.

Does CAPS still beleive that no redistricting is necessary? Aside from not neccessarily agreeeing with 'tactics', I think this is my biggest disconnect from understanding the CAPS perspective. I understand CAPS view to be that there is no overcrowding, and no need to move kids. I think there is current overcrowding, and impending increases in overcrowding, and that redrawing the lines was neccessary. I don't agree with the volume of the reassignments. With the interest in, as others have said, all of us coming together as a county to fix our schools, your insights to this would be appreciated!

Old 05-10-2014, 02:00 PM

I feel bad for Connie, I honestly do. Like I said, I think there were some very personal disputes brewing long before CAPS came together. Remember, most of us didn't even know each other until after the vote. As a group, we don't believe in ANY personal attacks, period. It doesn't help the situation one bit. We can all completely agree on that. I don't dispute that we have some overcrowded schools. Most of us would have preferred the trailers for a year or two to see if the numbers pan out like McKibben says, but a reasonable redistricting probably would have been acceptable, if it came with a plan for later expansion or a new cluster. The BOE could have actually used us to beat on the BOCC for money, and likely still can if this can be resolved. The problem I had was the size of the redistricting. I was assured by two BOE members and several at UCPS that there definitely wouldn't be a mass rolling of students from West to East, which is what we got. The scary part now is that some of our older schools are going to be the overcrowded ones. That is the alarm we have been sounding. You wouldn't believe how many principals and teachers have privately come to us about that issue. Have you seen how many trailers are already behind some of these older schools? Our paranoid fear (and I guess hope) is that there is some secret BOE plan behind this. If they would only come to us directly and tell us about it...

By the way, I've seen my name thrown around out there with some choice four-letter words. Tell Connie that people forget about you again in a week or two. Things do settle down and get better. The Millbridge exception was a huge BOE blunder. Inflamed the masses. They should have just left them out from the start if their stated policy was going to be "no exceptions."

Old 05-10-2014, 02:11 PM

One more note. Back in 2012 facilities was telling all the developers that overcrowding was temporary based on McKibben and that trailers would be used if necessary. The developers were good with that. McKibben still thinks that we are seeing a bubble (in about 7th grade), with some contraction after that. Then new facilities came in and the message changed. A concern I have is that development is inevitably moving east, and that's where we are pushing the overcrowding problem. Seems reactive and not proactive. I have talked to BOE members in other counties, as well as some of our former BOE members, and they all agree that it is a bad idea to push a big redistricting through from one year to the next. Probably would have been better to work things out with everyone for the 2015-2016 school year.

Old 05-10-2014, 03:20 PM

44,339 posts, read 17,695,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMARIA View Post
Thanks for your input Capsmember!
I was unaware of assurances by the BOE that certain people wouldnt be impacted.
There wasn't. Just like there aren't any assurances that this won't happen again next year.

The BOE presented a pupil re-assignment plan, took public comment on it, tweaked it, and then voted it into effect. There is nothing more to it than that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or