U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2014, 08:01 AM

46 posts, read 59,149 times

Advertisements

Just take a look at the names on the CAPS websites and cross reference that with the attacks made by these people on the United and Ask the Candidate page.

Neighborhood Leads | Citizens For Adequate Public Schools

Old 05-11-2014, 08:28 AM

13 posts, read 16,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPSMEMBER View Post
I feel bad for Connie, I honestly do. Like I said, I think there were some very personal disputes brewing long before CAPS came together. Remember, most of us didn't even know each other until after the vote. As a group, we don't believe in ANY personal attacks, period. It doesn't help the situation one bit. We can all completely agree on that. I don't dispute that we have some overcrowded schools. Most of us would have preferred the trailers for a year or two to see if the numbers pan out like McKibben says, but a reasonable redistricting probably would have been acceptable, if it came with a plan for later expansion or a new cluster. The BOE could have actually used us to beat on the BOCC for money, and likely still can if this can be resolved. The problem I had was the size of the redistricting. I was assured by two BOE members and several at UCPS that there definitely wouldn't be a mass rolling of students from West to East, which is what we got. The scary part now is that some of our older schools are going to be the overcrowded ones. That is the alarm we have been sounding. You wouldn't believe how many principals and teachers have privately come to us about that issue. Have you seen how many trailers are already behind some of these older schools? Our paranoid fear (and I guess hope) is that there is some secret BOE plan behind this. If they would only come to us directly and tell us about it...

By the way, I've seen my name thrown around out there with some choice four-letter words. Tell Connie that people forget about you again in a week or two. Things do settle down and get better. The Millbridge exception was a huge BOE blunder. Inflamed the masses. They should have just left them out from the start if their stated policy was going to be "no exceptions."
Based on the information available, CAPS released Connie's name to Fox as well as Angry Dad - using information obtained through discovery which was specifically released for use in COURT. It's hard to hear that CAPS does not support individual attacks or this or that when clearly the group has fanned the flames, heck in this case started the fire. A CAPS leader has actively promoted this story online while throwing in the flaky disclaimer that she hopes it is not held against all. People can see right through it. Additionally, while it is refreshing to hear that perhaps you don't support the tactics observed by many of us, however, we also have not seen any CAPS leaders speaking out against it. When you give birth to an organization, you are also responsible for the direction it takes. CAPS 'leaders' ought to be coaching their members on what is acceptable representative behavior.

Old 05-11-2014, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCTaxPayer View Post
Perhaps you should join it as quite a lot of your CAPS people belong to it. It may change your mind about wanting to be associated with them. They are now back to apparently getting ready to launch an attack against Kevin Stewart again and one of the last comments is from one of the huge backers talking about driving thru Millbridge today and not seeing that crazy lady (assuming he's talking of Connie) saying she might be stalking Stony now and gave up on Clint. You should see with your own eyes the people you associate yourself with and are associated with CAPS. Like Jimmy said, he never thought people he knew would act in such a manner. Keep in mind that page was open for a long time and a lot of Union County residents saw it.
I've seen a screen shot of this comment. Someone posted asking about Kevin Stewart's grading company. A CAPS member - yes, I could name him but won't - commented that he took a drive through Millbridge looking for someone. How ridiculous is this? I believe local authorities should be contacted. Stalking someone because of their opposing views? If these are the characteristics of some of CAPS most avid supporters, I question the organization as whole. And as for people like this guy, I sure hope his children are not paying attention. Way to be an upstanding member of the community!

Old 05-11-2014, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPSMEMBER View Post
UCTaxPayer - Haven't heard about most of the things you mention, but I can assure you that none of this stuff has ever been talked about at a CAPS meeting! Is it possible we have some outside troublemakers stirring things up for fun? I can assure you 100% that the CAPS members are just concerned parents and county residents looking to do the right thing by all. I would invite anyone interested to come to a meeting, they're all open. No yelling, no scheming. I will tell you that we have a good number of non-redistricted members from all over. They are focused on transparency and the like. Without exception, all the members love all of our schools. That's the one thing that should be bringing everyone together at this point.

I keep reading about the BOCC candidates. Without disclosing my vote, I voted for the candidates that I liked ASIDE from the redistricting issue. Too dangerous to focus on one divisive thing.
Glad to know the meetings are positive, however, if the attendees are all CAPS members I would expect nothing less as you all share the same or similar views. What is disturbing is the reaction to and inability to work cohesively with people who do not share those views.

Old 05-11-2014, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspy View Post
I think I've seen that in many of the Facebook posts from the CAPS Prez....
Definitely have. Sad, sad, sad.

Old 05-11-2014, 09:20 AM

547 posts, read 535,928 times
I can't even follow most of CAPS prez's latest PR post, but the statement I bolded in the cut and paste below makes it clear to me that she does not truly support spending on the older schools.

Posted on FB by CAPS Prez...
Within the first 30 days after the maps were released, I sent the BOE/UCPS three separate "scaled back" versions of reassignment and was mocked, ridiculed or ignored. I spoke at length with NCDPI about transportation costs, and shared my resulting concerns at the public hearing- and was called a liar. Reading through the mountain of documents we have received - both voluntarily from the community and through discovery, I am so proud and impressed with all of the thoughtful, p...rofessional, sincere data, facts and requests that were made by individuals and neighborhoods throughout the county. Although we were told there would be no compromise due to the "butterfly effect" I cannot for the life of me figure out why the lines for neighborhoods such as Berkshire and Valhalla (among others) could not have been adjusted. The BOE had an agenda and would not waiver, literally.
CAPS goal is to STOP the current redistricting so that stakeholders can be involved in finding solutions to the current bubble and future growth. Where is this big reveal of the public/private "master plan"? Can it be duplicated? What options do we have? Honestly, the superintendent's dream budget full of multimillion dollar stadiums, gyms and cafeterias has me very concerned. It does not address our three most pressing issues- bubbles of overcrowding, pockets of growth, and safe, clean, adequate facilities. Instead it prioritizes the desire for "facilities equity" over actual needs.
It's about as responsible as failing to buy shoes and a coat for my child; but instead buying her a Coach handbag because a neighbor down the street has one.
I've talked to most of the current and future BOC, and they agree we simply can't have it all without massive tax hikes that will destroy many families.
Looking toward the future, I'd love to get your ideas about how to provide for the needed repairs/renovations, them middle school bubble, and the pockets of dense growth.
You've heard it from me:
1. Minimal, distance sensitive reassignment.
2. Assign new subdivisions to schools with space.
3. K-6 where needed and space allows to relieve MS bubble
4. Move IB to the center of the county, or open second IB on east side of county.
5. Repairs/renovations/rebuilding as needed prioritized for older schools. Not just band aids year after year.
6. We are currently over 94% of our "county wide seating capacity" and projected to be at 96% next year. IMHO, it is irresponsible to waste time, money and ill will by NOT building now.
What would you like to see? Please comment below.

Last edited by BubbaHelms; 05-11-2014 at 09:39 AM..

Old 05-11-2014, 09:23 AM

547 posts, read 535,928 times
I've seen CAPS Prez make many other telling statements on FB such as this one below (***** added by me due to the twisting of another's words and bolding added by me for emphasis):

*****, the problem that has been repeated to me over and over is that there is great resentment that has been stoked over the years against the "newcomers". We heard a little of it at the forums and from our BOE. For the past 3 months hundreds of us have been fighting to UNITE the county so that everyone can support both improving the older schools AND expanding/ building in the newer, higher density areas. The needs are diverse. There are some, fueled by BOE rhetoric, that will refuse to vote for any new seats or expansion in the areas that it is needed. They would rather redistribute kids and dollars and make everything exactly equal. It simply doesn't make good community sense, economic sense, and again goes back, like you mentioned *****, to personal philosophical beliefs about who is responsible for supporting whom.

Statements such as these by CAPS Prez make it clear to me that CAPS is not "Union County Residents Fighting To Protect All Of Our Children" as is espoused on their website. In this statement, Prez started out with their mantra but then lets her true feelings show by the end.

I don't think anyone is buying that CAPS is for the benefit of all. They should just give that spin up and openly admit they are an anti-redistricting organization. This is their true purpose taken straight from their homepage:

We formed this group to channel the words of thousands of e-mails and hours of speeches into one simple message to the Board of Education: Stop. We’re starting a Non-Profit organization to facilitate a legal fund to put this matter before a judge who will deliver one simple message to the Board of Education: Stop. We want to turn our individual voices into the deafening roar of 10,000 united voices delivering one simple message to the Board of Education: Stop.

That seems pretty clear to me. It is not about improving all Union County schools. It is about avoiding having to attend some of them.

Last edited by BubbaHelms; 05-11-2014 at 09:44 AM..

Old 05-11-2014, 09:41 AM

527 posts, read 636,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyd1 View Post
Changing topics :

Another thought rather than pursing the lawsuit which I do not at this time believe will be successful in changing the course we are on what if CAPS redirected the funds and energy more on the items that we can influence. I see you have raised to date 25k. Lets maximize the value of this and see if we can grow the # of supporters.

- Understand gaps in schools - should we be assisting the efforts of the PTOs in obtaining equipment or supplies
- Understand the challenges that may exist from a traffic flow perspective should we be working with (not demanding) the BOE to help obtain additional traffic directors
- Could we develop welcome kits for the children as they arrive in their new school
- Is it possible to have activity busses for the children staying after school
- Are there rising Seniors that have transportation challenges that we can resolve
Aren't those all things the BOE should have already done or considered? If the BOE needed help why didn't they take up the hundreds of offers from parents? More validation that this was rushed, not well planned, and with disregard to the stakeholders.

Old 05-11-2014, 09:49 AM

527 posts, read 636,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbound4 View Post
Based on the information available, CAPS released Connie's name to Fox as well as Angry Dad - using information obtained through discovery which was specifically released for use in COURT.
It's public info, had nothing to do with discovery or a court case. If you've ever gotten an email from the BOE or UCPS there is a disclaimer that all correspondence is public domain, other than a few specific exceptions.

Old 05-11-2014, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaxhawMike View Post
It's public info, had nothing to do with discovery or a court case. If you've ever gotten an email from the BOE or UCPS there is a disclaimer that all correspondence is public domain, other than a few specific exceptions.
Let's not pretend this email chain wasn't "discovered" while digging through info turned over for discovery. It's already been stated this was "stumbled upon" while reading through the many emails turned over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or