U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2014, 11:03 AM

397 posts, read 579,016 times

Advertisements

Oh the travesties of the upper middle class. Having to abandon their homes and destroy their credit to avoid the possibility of their child attending an ordinary school. Sigh.

Old 01-09-2014, 11:14 AM

22,974 posts, read 58,470,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinzone View Post
This is fantastic news! When all of the homes being reassigned to Parkwood go into Foreclosure, I can buy a few of them as rental properties. In 3 years, when Parkwood hits an "8" score or better, I'll be sitting pretty with some highly desirable rental units.

I hope you are not solely choosing a school or home base on some site that anyone can rate, Parkwood is also rated 3 on education.com but that site anyone can rate also.

If your going to look at scores choose a site base off real information submitted to the state like NCreportcards.org
School Profile - School Level

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 01-09-2014 at 11:26 AM..

Old 01-09-2014, 11:56 AM

631 posts, read 736,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GONYMETS View Post
Gee that's strange. So their ratings went up when everyone was on Christmas break? So the school improved when nobody was there? Somebody is kissing a lot of a$$ to change that. Maybe they made it into the top 20 also.
If you'd take time to go look at the updated ratings you'll see that they are beginning to add in all the 2013 results. Perhaps you recall all the new test scores that were released last fall and the news stations were all saying the sky was falling? Not all the data is entered yet from what I can see, but here are some items for you.

New High School scores:
- Parkwood HS increased to a 5.
- Marvin Ridge HS and Cuthberson HS dropped to a 9.
- Weddington HS dropped to an 8.

I'm sure you'll do a full investigation on all those teachers that screwed up their schools. I think my property value just fell a few thousand dollars as I typed this.

Let's look at the new Middle School scores (which do appear to have complete 2013 results now):
- Parkwood 8
- Piedmont 9
- Weddington 10
- Cuthbertson 10
- Sun Valley 8
- Porter Ridge 9
- Marvin Ridge 10

Not a lot of variation there. I'm very proud of all the kids in all schools for doing so well under the new standards of testing. Their teachers all deserve a round of applause too.

Old 01-09-2014, 11:58 AM

2,082 posts, read 3,565,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waxhawmom75 View Post
Oh the travesties of the upper middle class. Having to abandon their homes and destroy their credit to avoid the possibility of their child attending an ordinary school. Sigh.
Some call it love for their children (aka putting their children first), but you are free to call it whatever you want...

Last edited by 28173; 01-09-2014 at 12:25 PM..

Old 01-09-2014, 12:15 PM

985 posts, read 1,649,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooLogical View Post
If you'd take time to go look at the updated ratings you'll see that they are beginning to add in all the 2013 results. Perhaps you recall all the new test scores that were released last fall and the news stations were all saying the sky was falling? Not all the data is entered yet from what I can see, but here are some items for you.

New High School scores:

I'm sure you'll do a full investigation on all those teachers that screwed up their schools. I think my property value just fell a few thousand dollars as I typed this.

Let's look at the new Middle School scores (which do appear to have complete 2013 results now):
- Parkwood 8
- Piedmont 9
- Weddington 10
- Cuthbertson 10
- Sun Valley 8
- Porter Ridge 9
- Marvin Ridge 10

Not a lot of variation there. I'm very proud of all the kids in all schools for doing so well under the new standards of testing. Their teachers all deserve a round of applause too.
and a raise!!!

Old 01-09-2014, 12:17 PM

93 posts, read 158,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
I hope you are not solely choosing a school or home base on some site that anyone can rate, Parkwood is also rated 3 on education.com but that site anyone can rate also.

If your going to look at scores choose a site base off real information submitted to the state like NCreportcards.org
School Profile - School Level
It was my attempt at sarcasm in response to the threats of foreclosure based on being reassigned.
Sorry... My wife tells me I need to improve my communication skills. Thanks for proving her right.

Old 01-09-2014, 12:25 PM

98 posts, read 145,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooLogical View Post

New High School scores:

- Parkwood 8
- Piedmont 9
- Weddington 10
- Cuthbertson 10
- Sun Valley 8
- Porter Ridge 9
- Marvin Ridge 10

Might be my mistake but I'm pretty sure Cuthbertson has been a 9 so to say they "Dropped" might not be correct. The only one I remember being a 10 was Marvin.

But there still is a difference between 9 and 5 you could see it as a test score. Would you rather have a 90 or a 50? Or like someone else said a 3star was average as opposed to a 5 star. Ever go to a 3 star hotel vs a 5 Star?
As far as money goes. Someone made a comment about that too. I don't see what that has to do with teaching. If your a union county certified teacher isn't your pay based upon your district not school? I'm not sure so I'm asking. If you teach in an area where household income is lower that shouldn't affect how you teach a child? I'm just asking not causing an argument.

Old 01-09-2014, 12:40 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,143,813 times
I know some folks are looking for information. Here's what is posted on the UCPS website. Not tons of detail but there some interesting data and meeting minutes are there.

UCPS - Redistricting Information

Old 01-09-2014, 01:05 PM

161 posts, read 263,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GONYMETS View Post
Might be my mistake but I'm pretty sure Cuthbertson has been a 9 so to say they "Dropped" might not be correct. The only one I remember being a 10 was Marvin.

But there still is a difference between 9 and 5 you could see it as a test score. Would you rather have a 90 or a 50? Or like someone else said a 3star was average as opposed to a 5 star. Ever go to a 3 star hotel vs a 5 Star?
As far as money goes. Someone made a comment about that too. I don't see what that has to do with teaching. If your a union county certified teacher isn't your pay based upon your district not school? I'm not sure so I'm asking. If you teach in an area where household income is lower that shouldn't affect how you teach a child? I'm just asking not causing an argument.
I remember the days of Weddington being a 10! I am so shocked that we are now at an 8. :-(

Old 01-09-2014, 01:31 PM

631 posts, read 736,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinlp View Post
I remember the days of Weddington being a 10! I am so shocked that we are now at an 8. :-(
I searched around on the Great Schools site. If you search all public NC high schools within a 60 mile radius of Weddington it lists 262 schools.

Only two rated "10." Huh??? Wow. Lake Norman Charter and Northview elementary (listed as grades 6-10?).

14 schools rated "9" followed including Cuthbertson, Marvin, Union Academy, Union Early College, Union County Career Center, Providence, Ardrey Kell, etc.

Interesting stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or