U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 05-20-2014, 06:52 PM
 
55 posts, read 63,497 times
Reputation: 28

Advertisements

Wow, all over the map lately, from settlement plans to school rankings. Nice.

Bubba, I agree, that Texas school spent its money worse than we have. Our only point was that the roof at Sun Valley should probably be fixed before we worry about the stadium, just saying.

To go back a little bit, I am absolutely opposed to moving any students mid-year. We change this thing right now or not at all. After that, the only option is to let the kids adapt and settle in and make it work. No argument from me there, completely agree.

 
Old 05-20-2014, 07:49 PM
 
137 posts, read 164,914 times
Reputation: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by mewith3 View Post
so we have rehashed this several times, what do you believe the difference is in the schools? The teachers and how they teach? The kids and their attitude toward leaning? What do you say make that big of a difference between schools?
It's a combination of ignorance and elitism that lets people come to the conclusion that a school like Weddington or Cuthbertson is better than Sun Valley or Parkwood. Bottom line. I'm tired of arguing with people from the "Holy Trinity" of UCP high schools that think they know anything about Sun Valley or Parkwood. They will never offer up any actual theories as to why these three schools test higher, but the implication is that native UCers are dumber than the Ohio and New York transplants.

Like I said on the United group page, there are plenty of legitimate reasons why someone could be opposed to redistricting. Thinking that you're going to get an inferior education at your new school is NOT one of them.
 
Old 05-20-2014, 07:50 PM
 
397 posts, read 519,914 times
Reputation: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPSMEMBER View Post
Wow, all over the map lately, from settlement plans to school rankings. Nice.

Bubba, I agree, that Texas school spent its money worse than we have. Our only point was that the roof at Sun Valley should probably be fixed before we worry about the stadium, just saying.

To go back a little bit, I am absolutely opposed to moving any students mid-year. We change this thing right now or not at all. After that, the only option is to let the kids adapt and settle in and make it work. No argument from me there, completely agree.
Thanks for clariying CAPSMEM. I apppreciate the candor and agree that we have to have a final answer prior to the beginning of the school year.
 
Old 05-20-2014, 07:56 PM
 
397 posts, read 519,914 times
Reputation: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaHelms View Post
Puts CAPS complaining about the money UCPS is spending on repairing football stadiums at Piedmont and Sun Valley into perspective....

Major structural problems close Texas high school's $60 million stadium | FOX Sports on MSN
Also to put it in perspective...a cursory search shows that Allen, TX pays appx 2.5x the property tax rate we enjoy in UC (and they still floated a bond).
 
Old 05-20-2014, 08:19 PM
 
98 posts, read 116,762 times
Reputation: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmarti78 View Post
It's a combination of ignorance and elitism that lets people come to the conclusion that a school like Weddington or Cuthbertson is better than Sun Valley or Parkwood. Bottom line. I'm tired of arguing with people from the "Holy Trinity" of UCP high schools that think they know anything about Sun Valley or Parkwood. They will never offer up any actual theories as to why these three schools test higher, but the implication is that native UCers are dumber than the Ohio and New York transplants.

Like I said on the United group page, there are plenty of legitimate reasons why someone could be opposed to redistricting. Thinking that you're going to get an inferior education at your new school is NOT one of them.

You are turning a nice shade of envy green rmarti....so test scores have nothing to do with it? its just "elitism and ignorance" and its all a fallacy that the "Holy Trinity" are among the highest performing schools in the county? I personally don't care the reason why they are higher, offer up 100 theories....it doesn't matter. The fact is, THEY PERFORM BETTER....ITS A FACT....so stop arguing about it and just accept it. as far as what is an inferior education....it is your OPINION they wont receive an inferior education, it is not a FACT....its funny how the pro bussing crowd loves to use the overcrowding numbers as FACT to boost their arguments, but will quickly discount the school report card numbers....cherry pick much? Love how you generalize everyone from NY and Ohio, no ignorance there now
 
Old 05-20-2014, 10:18 PM
 
Location: Wesley Chapel
51 posts, read 63,733 times
Reputation: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmarti78 View Post
It's a combination of ignorance and elitism that lets people come to the conclusion that a school like Weddington or Cuthbertson is better than Sun Valley or Parkwood. Bottom line. I'm tired of arguing with people from the "Holy Trinity" of UCP high schools that think they know anything about Sun Valley or Parkwood. They will never offer up any actual theories as to why these three schools test higher, but the implication is that native UCers are dumber than the Ohio and New York transplants.

Like I said on the United group page, there are plenty of legitimate reasons why someone could be opposed to redistricting. Thinking that you're going to get an inferior education at your new school is NOT one of them.
rmarti, this New Yorker certainly doesn't feel he is better than anyone else, no matter where they grew up or chose to relocate to. My children certainly don't think that way, not the way my wife and I raised them. I am as Blue Color as they come, no elitism here, I despise elitism, I always look out for the underdog and try to help anyone in need - thats the way my parents raised me to be.

Ignorance is ignorance and exists everywhere, those who think they are smarter than others or those who think others are wrong or arrogant simply because of where they grew up - its all ignorance and a bit of bigotry in my view. None of it is fair, nor is it healthy.

I cannot ever answer what darkness may linger in another man's heart, I do hope that your generalization of New Yorkers is wrong, and that those you list in your post do not really think that way. Hey, there is a reason why I moved and it was to provide a better life for my kids.

I know my views against the redistrict had to do with not wanting to be moved again and again and again. They also once the schools were announced had to do with my child being moved to a school with out any friends he grew up with, i even asked EVERY BOE member if my child had to leave his current school to please send them to the same school as the others leaving our school to help with the transition and to keep some friends he has known his whole school life. This of course did not happen and my community is moving alone from one school to another when all others from our school are moving to another school together. Such is life, we tried but we did not succeed. My child will make the most of it and we will embrace our new school.

My issue with Schools is mainly on the conditions of the facilities in some areas and the negligence on the part of UCPS/BOE/BOCC to let them get to this point.
 
Old 05-20-2014, 11:39 PM
 
137 posts, read 164,914 times
Reputation: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by nchammer View Post
You are turning a nice shade of envy green rmarti....so test scores have nothing to do with it? its just "elitism and ignorance" and its all a fallacy that the "Holy Trinity" are among the highest performing schools in the county? I personally don't care the reason why they are higher, offer up 100 theories....it doesn't matter. The fact is, THEY PERFORM BETTER....ITS A FACT....so stop arguing about it and just accept it. as far as what is an inferior education....it is your OPINION they wont receive an inferior education, it is not a FACT....its funny how the pro bussing crowd loves to use the overcrowding numbers as FACT to boost their arguments, but will quickly discount the school report card numbers....cherry pick much? Love how you generalize everyone from NY and Ohio, no ignorance there now
Pick any student from Cuthbertson at random. Could be the one with the highest test scores or the lowest. Take them out of Cuthbertson and put them into Parkwood. Will they perform worse? Perhaps for the first 6 weeks grading period as they're adjusting, but I promise you they will end up with the same scores at Parkwood.
 
Old 05-21-2014, 04:24 AM
 
397 posts, read 519,914 times
Reputation: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmarti78 View Post
Pick any student from Cuthbertson at random. Could be the one with the highest test scores or the lowest. Take them out of Cuthbertson and put them into Parkwood. Will they perform worse? Perhaps for the first 6 weeks grading period as they're adjusting, but I promise you they will end up with the same scores at Parkwood.
That student would be fine if their parents would just quit telling them how much their school sucks....
When we first moved here we learned quickly that there is a snob factor (I don't know what else to call it) around the UCPS schools. Didn't bother the us but it is there. That attitude comes from the same group that brought you "what neighborhood do you live in" and "what kind off car do you drive". Been there, done that. Our son killed it at Parkwood...going to NCSU and younger sibs are all honor students. Its what you make of it and what you expect from your kids.

I do like some people finally calling it what it is. I would ratherr have this debate than all the phony objections that have been tossed around.
 
Old 05-21-2014, 04:54 AM
 
45,252 posts, read 17,960,183 times
Reputation: 18944
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmarti78 View Post
Pick any student from Cuthbertson at random. Could be the one with the highest test scores or the lowest. Take them out of Cuthbertson and put them into Parkwood. Will they perform worse? Perhaps for the first 6 weeks grading period as they're adjusting, but I promise you they will end up with the same scores at Parkwood.
Indeed. This is exactly why the lawsuit failed. The parents bringing the lawsuit failed in any way to demonstrate the reassignment would mean less education received. In fact, I don't think it was even mentioned as an issue. I suppose they believed their own rhetoric enough to ignore reality and more importantly NC state law.
 
Old 05-21-2014, 05:10 AM
 
5,894 posts, read 7,748,067 times
Reputation: 3387
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Indeed. This is exactly why the lawsuit failed. The parents bringing the lawsuit failed in any way to demonstrate the reassignment would mean less education received. In fact, I don't think it was even mentioned as an issue. I suppose they believed their own rhetoric enough to ignore reality and more importantly NC state law.
I know it's been mentioned here but this is why it seems odd to me that CAPS would actually use the word "adequate" in their name. Maybe those getting redistricted to Monroe or Forest Hills could use that argument, but they're not the ones creating the most uproar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:37 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top