U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2014, 02:09 PM

124 posts, read 139,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaxhawMike View Post
Out of curiosity are you or were you a Cobol programmer (or some other procedural language)? I've done some light coding on the side over my career and I have seen a lot of programmers seriously struggle making the adjustment to the object oriented paradigm. It's not just a syntax switch, it's an entirely new way of thinking. The good news for them was/is that there are still plenty of legacy systems around, the skillset is hard to find, and they are now raking in the dough.
I took Cobol in college, did some light work with it in the field. I'm mainly an IBM AS400 RPG programmer tho I do code for handheld scanners, programmable printers and interface systems with UPS, Connectship, Faxstar and websites. By websites I mean making the AS400 communicate with them passing data back and forth. The AS400 employs the object oriented paradigm. I'm self-employed and have several clients that I do work for, I make a decent living at it.

Old 05-21-2014, 02:13 PM

70 posts, read 122,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCTaxPayer View Post
I realize they are part of CPCC, which is one of the top junior colleges in the country, but still $500!!!
SPCC is not part of CPCC.

Old 05-21-2014, 02:28 PM

136 posts, read 157,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCTaxPayer View Post
I took Cobol in college, did some light work with it in the field. I'm mainly an IBM AS400 RPG programmer tho I do code for handheld scanners, programmable printers and interface systems with UPS, Connectship, Faxstar and websites. By websites I mean making the AS400 communicate with them passing data back and forth. The AS400 employs the object oriented paradigm. I'm self-employed and have several clients that I do work for, I make a decent living at it.
I had to tackle Fortran 77 in college. Only a few of these dinosaurs still roam the Earth.

Old 05-21-2014, 02:33 PM

137 posts, read 164,596 times
Why won't those that harp on Parkwood's test scores give a theory as to why they're lower? It's shockingly easy to see why. Parkwood won academic awards as recently as 2007. Cuthbertson opened in 2009 and took the wealthier parts of Parkwood along with them. Wealth has a correlation with better test scores because parents can afford things like tutors easier. Why is this is a difficult concept for people? With many of those same areas coming back to Parkwood, isn't it reasonable to expect scores to rebound to where they were before?

Old 05-21-2014, 02:38 PM

137 posts, read 164,596 times
The dumbest thing redistricted parents did was to complain about how "shoddy" schools like Parkwood supposedly were. I'll be honest with you: I hate the idea of redistricting. It absolutely affects families negatively. But when you start attacking innocent people and their schools (who did NOT ask for redistricting), it's natural to want to see those people acting vicious lose. That's the entire reason I started posting on city-data and on Facebook. I've been disgusted by people throwing around test scores out of ignorance and I'm trying to set the record straight. Who knows, if people hadn't gone off on Parkwood and Sun Valley unnecessarily, the school board might have been more amenable to what you were saying.

Old 05-21-2014, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flotsamarama View Post
SPCC is not part of CPCC.

My mistake! I thought I had read somewhere that they were now a part of it.

Old 05-21-2014, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waxhawdoc View Post
I had to tackle Fortran 77 in college. Only a few of these dinosaurs still roam the Earth.

I took Fortran in college as well but probably couldn't write a line of code now! Same with Assembler, lol.

Old 05-21-2014, 02:49 PM

451 posts, read 608,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmarti78 View Post
Why won't those that harp on Parkwood's test scores give a theory as to why they're lower?
Because Parkwood doesn't have a lacrosse team...

Old 05-21-2014, 03:42 PM

397 posts, read 579,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nchammer View Post
You are turning a nice shade of envy green rmarti....so test scores have nothing to do with it? its just "elitism and ignorance" and its all a fallacy that the "Holy Trinity" are among the highest performing schools in the county? I personally don't care the reason why they are higher, offer up 100 theories....it doesn't matter. The fact is, THEY PERFORM BETTER... ITS A FACT....so stop arguing about it and just accept it. as far as what is an inferior education....it is your OPINION they wont receive an inferior education, it is not a FACT....its funny how the pro bussing crowd loves to use the overcrowding numbers as FACT to boost their arguments, but will quickly discount the school report card numbers....cherry pick much? Love how you generalize everyone from NY and Ohio, no ignorance there now
Since we're speaking about FACTS, let us not forget this very clear, very well-advertised FACT - straight from the Union County Public Schools website (nothing new here)...

"Please be aware that as the fastest growing school system in North Carolina, school assignments for UCPS students are subject to change."

So what part of that do you NOT understand? Fact, fact, fact, fact, fact. Fact is... you didn't get your way and YOU have turned a nice shade of envy green, yes? Hmmm. Most of us have already seen your green color but perhaps you should take a glance in the mirror and see for yourself (Oh, and you too Mike and jlat)

Old 05-21-2014, 04:52 PM

985 posts, read 1,649,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineCJ View Post
Because Parkwood doesn't have a lacrosse team...
this made me laugh...thanks!!

I could not rep you so I posted t

Last edited by uswith6; 05-21-2014 at 05:06 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or