U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2014, 11:19 AM

51 posts, read 63,738 times

Advertisements

Very happy to see that much needed repair work has started at both Wesley Chapel Elementary School and Parkwood High School.

Old 05-23-2014, 11:35 AM

527 posts, read 637,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMARIA View Post
Outside of the dramatic and horror filled world of the FB pages, many I have spoken to have moved on to acceptance, and are actually excited about their new schools. I think actually visiting and speaking with current parents of the new schools has alleviated alot of the fear. It makes me happy for the kids.
People that don't have an impacted child say that most people have moved on... every person that I talk to that does have an impacted child hasn't moved on.

Old 05-23-2014, 11:38 AM

397 posts, read 519,992 times
Quote:
It's almost seeming a bit manipulative at this point - periodic vague accusations dangled to encourage donations from desperate,upset people. CAPS is actually quite NON transparent, ironic considering the accusations they have made about the BOE. I wonder how many more months it will take them to publish their long promised financial disclosures.

Outside of the dramatic and horror filled world of the FB pages, many I have spoken to have moved on to acceptance, and are actually excited about their new schools. I think actually visiting and speaking with current parents of the new schools has alleviated alot of the fear. It makes me happy for the kids.
I have GOT to give CAPS a pass on this. I am assuming that there has to be some "super secret, decoder ring-type" correspondence outside of what we are seeing posted. If I kept pouring money into this and that release was REALLY all I received in return I would be more than upset. There is no way we are seeing everything...no way.
Now...I also get the impress that the CAPS board is vetting candidates for a potential BOE run(s). Could be quite a warchest...
Lastly, the boe response asked for attorney fees. How do you stock up to cover those fees if you loose? Hmmm.
CAPSMEMBER...tell us the strategy.

Old 05-23-2014, 11:46 AM

137 posts, read 164,925 times
People were saying from the moment CAPS started fundraising that people were just throwing their money in a pit. No school board has ever been reversed on something like this that didn't involve racial issues. Why would this be any different?

Old 05-23-2014, 11:51 AM

149 posts, read 477,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raithfan View Post
I have GOT to give CAPS a pass on this. I am assuming that there has to be some "super secret, decoder ring-type" correspondence outside of what we are seeing posted. If I kept pouring money into this and that release was REALLY all I received in return I would be more than upset. There is no way we are seeing everything...no way.
Raith, now that you've pointed that out, it makes perfect sense as a strategy.

There must be something of substance that is justifying CAPS moving forward, but I do get why only the "fluff' updates are made available to the general public.

Old 05-23-2014, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaxhawMike View Post
If the wealthiest part of Parkwood was sent to Cuthbertson then how can, as we've been told in this thread, the home values be comporable? Don't wealthier people typically spend more on homes? I'm having a hard time finding my way through this maze of logic provided by supporters of the "plan".

It's funny to see someone mention 2007 as recent. When we toured PHS a month or so ago they had a banner hanging showcasing they won an NC school of excellence award in........ 2005.
The neighborhoods being redrawn into Parkwood...are you saying there are many of those already in the Parkwood district? I sure don't see many.

According to that site everyone uses as gospel that says Cutty is a 9 and Parkwood is a 4 or 5, Parkwood won an academic distinction award as recently as 2007. No, that isn't too recent but that wasn't my point. My point was that Parkwood was winning academic awards right up until Cuthbertson opened.

Old 05-23-2014, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Raith, now that you've pointed that out, it makes perfect sense as a strategy.

There must be something of substance that is justifying CAPS moving forward, but I do get why only the "fluff' updates are made available to the general public.
Why DOES there have to be something? If you have a monetary reason to keep it going like CAPS has, isn't that reason enough?

Old 05-23-2014, 12:04 PM

136 posts, read 157,468 times
Quote:
It's almost seeming a bit manipulative at this point - periodic vague accusations dangled to encourage donations from desperate,upset people. CAPS is actually quite NON transparent, ironic considering the accusations they have made about the BOE. I wonder how many more months it will take them to publish their long promised financial disclosures.

If you really want to see their books... ( and I have zero interest in doing so) any member (donor) has the right to see all financial documents and meeting minutes. It's in the CAPS bylaws.

The kids moved on a long time ago- particularly those with caring, supportive parents. They're great examples.

Old 05-23-2014, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmarti78 View Post
Why DOES there have to be something? If you have a monetary reason to keep it going like CAPS has, isn't that reason enough?

rmarti, I'm not sure I understand your question, but may be misunderstanding your post http://pics3.city-data.com/forum/ima...ilies/wink.gif

I meant that surely there is some justification to continue asking people to give money, some justificaton that the lawsuit has merit.

Old 05-23-2014, 12:08 PM

Darn, why do my smiley's never work?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or