U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2014, 07:57 AM

397 posts, read 579,408 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCcostello View Post
waxhawmom - I may not change UCPS or the current situation, but make no mistake. I always change my situation if it isn't working. I'm a bit stronger than to believe "There's nothing you can do about it just accept it" - never have, never will. It's tiring, but always worth it. Glad you're ok with others in control of your life.
Nobody is controlling my life except me, lol. What are you talking about? I have been redistricted before and always had the option to either 1) move 2) change to private school 3) home school or 4) embrace change and allow my kids to become stronger people by working with the world instead against it. Mind you I don't believe a school change is a tragic event as many seem to interpret it. It's school. There are teachers and kids and opportunities to learn and grow. There is always a choice. Nobody has taken that from you. Just like when you sign your name to an important document, you need to read what it says for yourself - that is not someone else's responsibility. It seems you did not research how the school system around here works. That's on you. As I said earlier, good luck to you in doing what is best for your family.

Old 05-26-2014, 08:21 AM

97 posts, read 98,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waxhawmom75 View Post
Nobody is controlling my life except me, lol. What are you talking about? I have been redistricted before and always had the option to either 1) move 2) change to private school 3) home school or 4) embrace change and allow my kids to become stronger people by working with the world instead against it. Mind you I don't believe a school change is a tragic event as many seem to interpret it. It's school. There are teachers and kids and opportunities to learn and grow. There is always a choice. Nobody has taken that from you. Just like when you sign your name to an important document, you need to read what it says for yourself - that is not someone else's responsibility. It seems you did not research how the school system around here works. That's on you. As I said earlier, good luck to you in doing what is best for your family.
Thank you, we made our decision.

Old 05-26-2014, 12:36 PM

14 posts, read 18,609 times
Has any students in the past been redistricted to a lower performing school or a school that will be overcrowded and already has 13 trailers while their old school will have empty seats and only 1 trailer that is used for drivers ed? Redistricted from WHS to SVHS.

Old 05-26-2014, 01:12 PM

43 posts, read 46,533 times
Quote:
waxhawmom - I may not change UCPS or the current situation, but make no mistake. I always change my situation if it isn't working. I'm a bit stronger than to believe "There's nothing you can do about it just accept it" - never have, never will. It's tiring, but always worth it. Glad you're ok with others in control of your life.
Wow - so, encouraging my children to adapt to the impending change makes me....what? weaker than you? a bad parent? Not sure where you are heading with that and maybe you'll change courses after this....but it seems like nowhere good. I have never once thought, "oh, there's nothing I can do about it, so I may as well just go ahead and accept it." Is that how you believe all the folks who are moving on think? You are most certainly entitled to feel angry and even to fight the decision if you wish, but why is it so hard for you to believe or understand that others feel differently than you? That seems very narrow-minded.

As for my family, we are going to make our new school experience a positive one and make the best of this "opportunity". I am a positive and adaptable person. That does not mean that I do not stand up for my rights (trust me, I do), it means I have good coping skills. I believe in teaching my children to adapt and adjust - not to be rigid in their thinking or their ways. You are entitled to teach your children other lessons. People teach their children values that are important to them. Clearly, with many different people in the world (county), there are many different approaches - and that is okay. However, if you think for a second that because I am encouraging my children to adapt to this situation and embrace their new school that it makes me 'weaker' in some way than you....well, then, I respectfully disagree.

Old 05-26-2014, 01:42 PM

93 posts, read 158,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hope923 View Post
Wow - so, encouraging my children to adapt to the impending change makes me....what? weaker than you? a bad parent? Not sure where you are heading with that and maybe you'll change courses after this....but it seems like nowhere good. I have never once thought, "oh, there's nothing I can do about it, so I may as well just go ahead and accept it." Is that how you believe all the folks who are moving on think? You are most certainly entitled to feel angry and even to fight the decision if you wish, but why is it so hard for you to believe or understand that others feel differently than you? That seems very narrow-minded.

As for my family, we are going to make our new school experience a positive one and make the best of this "opportunity". I am a positive and adaptable person. That does not mean that I do not stand up for my rights (trust me, I do), it means I have good coping skills. I believe in teaching my children to adapt and adjust - not to be rigid in their thinking or their ways. You are entitled to teach your children other lessons. People teach their children values that are important to them. Clearly, with many different people in the world (county), there are many different approaches - and that is okay. However, if you think for a second that because I am encouraging my children to adapt to this situation and embrace their new school that it makes me 'weaker' in some way than you....well, then, I respectfully disagree.
Excellent post!

Old 05-26-2014, 01:57 PM

5,872 posts, read 7,714,524 times
Quote:
Thank you, we made our decision.
And what was that?

Old 05-26-2014, 08:28 PM

124 posts, read 139,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hope923 View Post

Wow, spot on and an awesome post! (wouldn't let me rep you so here it is!) A lot of parents could learn a thing or two from you Hope!

Old 05-26-2014, 09:03 PM

451 posts, read 608,588 times
So now that this thread is back, for now...

Where do our illustrious community leaders stand on:

1. The BoE operating budget? And where is that redistricting line item by the way?

2. The BoE capital budget? I found 1 bus by the way for those ADA snowflakes.

3. The BoCC tax increase?
- If it's too much where do you cut? Operating and Capital, take a stand or don't run or sue.

4. Monroe bypass? If you don't think it's an issue then it must not be an issue.

Old 05-27-2014, 07:53 AM

103 posts, read 143,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mewith3 View Post
I am sure there are some of each. I met 2 new people this week both were ready to move on and embracing the new school. Others, I know are still mad about all of it. I do think there are many on both sides.
Absolutely, I think a lot is based on the school. I have talked with three people that have had their children redistricted from NTE to WUE. Two are sending their kids to private school and the other is considering home schooling if transfer (parent has a rising 5th grader goint to NTE and her kindergartner would be going to WUE) isn't accepted. Not too much to get excited about when discussing this transfer- one of the newest elementary schools to the oldest elementary school in the county that smells musty, has mold issues and small classrooms.

Old 05-27-2014, 05:14 PM

136 posts, read 157,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineCJ View Post
So now that this thread is back, for now...

Where do our illustrious community leaders stand on:

1. The BoE operating budget? And where is that redistricting line item by the way?

2. The BoE capital budget? I found 1 bus by the way for those ADA snowflakes.

3. The BoCC tax increase?
- If it's too much where do you cut? Operating and Capital, take a stand or don't run or sue.

4. Monroe bypass? If you don't think it's an issue then it must not be an issue.
Hey Sunshine... Great way to start the week!
Who knows for the illustrious leaders, more likely to hear from county curmudgeons.

Questions 1&2 - Perhaps the best questions on the thread. You won't find that line item or any line items, only smoke & mirrors. Wouldn't it be nice to see something like one of these: https://www.wcpss.net/about-us/our-finances/ Like Ragu, it's all in there...

I'm well aware that the State has squeezed every dime out of it's school funding, and that the Education Lottery barely trickles down anything to schools these days. Evidently, we've made up the difference with deferred maintenance and half a billion in county debt - but where exactly has it all gone? I know that the bottom line is a big #, I'd love to see the item level detail.

Question 3 - Nobody likes taxes. Bills come due eventually. Realizing that the 'long-term plan' can't be more of the same (borrow and dig deeper), even the FB re-redistricting crowd is moving on to 'acceptance.' Some in the in-crowd are moving entirely (were they planning this all along? intending to walk out on the tab by running up the debt and selling before the bill came due?). - too much conspiracy theory for me. In truth, some in our community can afford to pay the tax bill. Some simply can't. Our commercial tax base is so small that it can't shoulder much of the burden. Outside of the schools, the county has been pretty good at belt tightening and has been decently transparent about it - but ~90% of spending goes to Questions 1&2.

Question 4 - I think we're bystanders in the bypass drama. NCDOT wants it, my guess is that they'll get it. We're the ones bypassed, I wouldn't expect it to fuel another wave of growth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or