U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2014, 07:46 AM

527 posts, read 636,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severin1 View Post
This "risk" has to do with the way UC is expanding since it is limited on both West and North, nothing more. Don't see where the "financially well off" are protected unless they happen to live in the N-W side which is closest to MR and there is no other logical option (it is not like they can be sent to Ardrey Kell)...
Money doesn't matter?

Let's use Weddington Chase and Newtown Village as examples... Depending on where you are in each neighborhood you are somewhere between 9-12 miles from Parkwood and 4-5 miles from Cuthbertson.

Now, which neighborhood do you think is at a greater risk of being redistricted to Parkwood?

Old 01-14-2014, 08:10 AM

397 posts, read 579,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaxhawMike View Post
Money doesn't matter?

Let's use Weddington Chase and Newtown Village as examples... Depending on where you are in each neighborhood you are somewhere between 9-12 miles from Parkwood and 4-5 miles from Cuthbertson.

Now, which neighborhood do you think is at a greater risk of being redistricted to Parkwood?
The one that is CLOSER. Which would be New Town Village (closer to Park wood that is). Also the one closest to the end of the boundary line (again, New Town Village). As a side note - living in Weddington Chase by no means makes one more "financially sound". Someone may be house poor living there and another in New Town Village with 100k in the bank. Cmon, now. Its gonna come down to gas prices for busses to run, not the price of an individuals home. The BOE doesn't care what your mortgage payment is, I 100% guarantee it!!!!

Old 01-14-2014, 08:15 AM

[quote=Mom of 3 girls;33011591]There are some kids in my neighborhood that have been switched several times. Went to Sardis (SV cluster) for kinder, 1st-4th grade at Indian Trail (SV cluster), then Stallings Elem (PR cluster) was built so finished 5th grade there. The logic behind this switch was to alleviate crowding from SV since the infrastructure was smaller therefore core capacity was smaller than newer schools, and to keep the cluster boundaries along major roads (for the school board at that time). Our road boundary is Hwy 74 and since the proposed Bypass hasn't been pulled by NCDOT, there will be a significant bigger boundary with the 20-25 feet wall for the toll road. This logic and philosophy made sense to me even though I cried the last week of school, I didn't like it...we were going to a new school.

Okay fast forward to now. I am only guessing but based on comparing the forecast reports, it appears we are being switched AGAIN. So now these kids are currently sophomores and can't be grandfathered. The core capacity hasn't changed at any of the schools (new or old) and I am curious on how the capacity has changed for a few schools. This is a safety issue for when there is an emergency (width of halls during a lockdown and/or tornado drill) and infrastructure such as how many lunches can the cafeteria serve.

We are not flipping yo-yos and how is any parent or student expected to be invested in any school if there is a threat of being switched every 3-5 years. Whatever policy is in place, it is not being consistently followed and needs to be reevaluated/revised so it makes sense and is fair.

Thank you for allowing me to vent. I feel better now

I've been thru the same thing. Waxhaw elementary to Kensington. Park wood to Marvin Ridge to Cuthbertson. It can be frustrating. But this county's growth is so rapid. It is what it is and it will be what it needs to be.

Old 01-14-2014, 08:33 AM

451 posts, read 608,447 times
Quote:
Money doesn't matter?
It's not money.

It's the current overcrowding at Kensington ES combined with planned growth (1,500+ houses) at Millbridge, Lawson, etc. that will feed Kensington/New Town and Cuthbertson. Marvin has some growth and crowding but nothing like Waxhaw.

That's why Newtown Village will likely be impacted more than Weddington Chase. It's goes to New Town ES and is further south and east. Weddington Chase may go Weddington but I doubt it.

Everything starts at Sandy Ridge ES (240 to get moved). Everything then moves east and south. If you live near an eastern or southern ES border you probably get moved. MS/HS will likely follow ES borders Kensington/New Town ES get biggest hit with 700+ being moved elsewhere. By the time it hits Porter Ridge the impact goes down but still east and south.

Old 01-14-2014, 08:44 AM

527 posts, read 636,741 times
the richest in the county will remain at the top performing schools but that's just coincidence, there are no other options.... gotcha

Old 01-14-2014, 09:17 AM

Quote:
the richest in the county will remain at the top performing schools but that's just coincidence, there are no other options.... gotcha
Have you looked at a school boundary map lately? It's not that difficult to figure out what makes the most sense. They aren't going to bus kids from Providence Downs to Parkwood "just because". There are other neighborhoods that are far closer. But conspiracy theories are always fun and productive. So thanks for entertaining us.

Old 01-14-2014, 09:22 AM

3,521 posts, read 2,234,701 times
Quote:
Money doesn't matter?

Where will the kids in the new Atherton development (where homes start in the $500's) on 84 near 16 go when that opens? Parkwood? Not likely. Why do current residents of the county get the shaft over ones that don't even live here yet?

Old 01-14-2014, 09:22 AM

631 posts, read 736,570 times
Quote:
Maybe it comes down more to who's good at math and who isn't?

Newtown Village is 8.2 miles to Parkwood. Weddington Chase is 13.7 miles.
Newtown Village is 4.2 miles to Cuthberson. Weddington Chase is 3.8 miles.

It's an extra 4 miles for Newtown Village to attend PW vs. CHS.
It's an extra 10 miles for Weddington Chase to attend PW vs. CHS.

If we gave these maps and population numbers to any random person with no knowledge of incomes or housing values, they would make the exact same decision.

Old 01-14-2014, 09:28 AM

Default Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooLogical View Post
Maybe it comes down more to who's good at math and who isn't?

Newtown Village is 8.2 miles to Parkwood. Weddington Chase is 13.7 miles.
Newtown Village is 4.2 miles to Cuthberson. Weddington Chase is 3.8 miles.

It's an extra 4 miles for Newtown Village to attend PW vs. CHS.
It's an extra 10 miles for Weddington Chase to attend PW vs. CHS.

If we gave these maps and population numbers to any random person with no knowledge of incomes or housing values, they would make the exact same decision.

Thanks for putting the actual numbers out there. Hard to argue with good old math 101.

Old 01-14-2014, 09:29 AM

7,672 posts, read 9,875,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waxhawmom75 View Post
Have you looked at a school boundary map lately? It's not that difficult to figure out what makes the most sense. They aren't going to bus kids from Providence Downs to Parkwood "just because". There are other neighborhoods that are far closer. But conspiracy theories are always fun and productive. So thanks for entertaining us.
Actually money will be become an issue. I have asked on this board if not in this very thread that why don't they just assign purely on proximity. I was told and had googled that they zone trying to include the poorer sections to the "richer" areas etc. I do agree there are a lot of speculations based on ridiculous accusations but I am very interested in seeing the final product to see what ends up happening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or