Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2014, 01:30 PM

6,321 posts, read 10,335,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMAHER View Post
Waxhawdoc, I see your point but I can promise you that if Massachusetts hall had a mold issue, they would deal with it directly and swiftly. Just as any educational institution or business place should.

Secondly, I do not understand your quote, "I'm glad to see that you've come around on the distinction between the two issues."

I have from day 1 - LONG before any of this redistrict stuff been about Health and Safety, I pretty much have dedicated most of my adult life to it in one form or another. Yes, I like some others became aware of the issues at some of our older schools due to the current redistrict issue, but should I be blamed for being involved directly with my children's school and not being aware of other issues? Once, I found out I have been an advocate for renovating the aging schools and not spending a dime on the newer schools until and only if/when the aging schools are renovated and brought up to 21st century standards across the board.

For the record, my children are not going to Western Union ES, not prior to or after the redistrict - that doesn't change my attitude towards fixing that school for one second, nor should it.

I am not a one trick pony, redistrict has passed, it is in motion - that does not stop, nor should it stop me and others from doing whatever we can to help better our entire School district. One step at a time.

Again, It was the whole "its OK if its a top school" argument that is ridiculous to me - health issues are NEVER OK I don't care if its SPCC or Harvard or WUES etc..

Saw this edit to your comments after my post, "Some of us see it as a little disingenuous to cry out about [unconfirmed, but worrying] mold issues, cite it as a reason to re-redistrict, and then complain about the cost of fixing it for other folk's kids. Can you see that perspective at least?"

I can see that perspective very well, which is why in my post I clearly stated, "I will not put this on anyone else, I will talk about myself only" - I NEVER stated the mold issue was a reason to re-redistrict??? Nor have I complained about the cost to EVER fix issues related to health and safety concerns. Matter of fact I have been screaming from the roof tops to fix the aging schools since day 1.
Earlier you were basically claiming that the redistricting was the only reason some of the older issues were getting addressed. Saying that and "I've been screaming from the rooftops to fix the aging schools" at the same time seems to be playing both sides of the fence a bit.

Old 06-09-2014, 02:08 PM

52,433 posts, read 26,603,454 times
Quote:
Enjoy your arguing with someone else, I engage with those who (even when we disagree) try to make best of a situation. Allowing a condition to continue because thats the way it always was, to me is simply wrong.

We can agree to disagree. Period.
I notice that you didn't address one point made in the post you were responding to and wasn't saying mold was OK as you seem to imply. The party's comments seemed reasonable to me. So how is this trying to engage with someone you, apparently, disagree with?

If you are indeed elected, since you brought this up here previously, and a constituent makes the same comments to you, will you handle it the same way?

Old 06-09-2014, 02:35 PM

451 posts, read 711,840 times
It's great to see that certain admins turned political candidates haven't completely turned into wishy washy politicians with platitudes and talking points. You can always get back to those good old tactics of bashing others on your own site and get your wolf friends to join in on the fun.

I wonder if any other BOE members or candidates publicly do this with comments made to them?

Bravo.

Forgive me as I usually do NOT use this page to discuss actions that take place on other forums but I am hot under the collar right now. On another forum which will remain nameless, one of the people posting stated the following with regard to Mold issues at Western Union ES: "I wonder if the Ivy League schools that are old as the hills have any mildew or mold. I'm betting so. All of you folks who are so concerned about the "mildew" should most definitely research brand new colleges as to prevent such safety hazards when the time comes. Or would Western Union's mildew be more acceptable if it were a "10 out of 10" school?" When I read those words I was shocked that any parent would find it acceptable to knowingly place their child in an atmosphere that may present health risks. So I felt the need to respond on that forum and share my response here as well, I responded to the above post with: " (Name Withheld), so because you arbitrarily have decided with your own cosmic research that top ivy league schools must have mold, therefore our schools with mold shouldn't be an issue???? For real????
I will not put this on anyone else, I will talk about myself only. I almost DIED from "Mold Toxicity" and I am now extremely sensitive to mold as one would imagine. So excuse me if it boggles my mind that anyone with the word "mom" in their title finds it totally acceptable that there is mold issues at Western Union ES. I am very happy that their wasn't any major mold issues at SVHS and those that were discovered will actually "according to the report" be remediated properly.
Hey, I bet those really old Ivy league schools have asbestos and lead paint as well - So I guess thats cool with you too, huh?
Those who disagree on redistricting thats fine, its all about opinions and ideas for what each think is better, but health and safety are not negotiable and anyone that finds toxic fungi to be "acceptable" is either very ignorant to the dangers they present or are simply rejecting the idea because it isn't part of their argument for which ever side they believe in with redistricting.
The issues are NOT related - one is about seats and growth, the other is about health.
I am sure that some here will blast me for my stance on this, but I don't care one bit. Blast away and show your ignorance to the health risks that every parent should become much more aware of. I think every school should be tested and not just with visual inspections. And with each test that comes back without any health concerns we should be happy, and those that come back with elevated spores - we should take immediate and appropriate action."

Last edited by SunshineCJ; 06-09-2014 at 03:24 PM..

Old 06-09-2014, 02:47 PM

51 posts, read 74,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raithfan View Post
But we don't know if there is a dangerous situation.
Raithfan, I stated there needs to be proper testing (WUES Principal stated they felt there were issues), I stated we should test every school and if needed take the appropriate steps. If there is a dangerous situation it must be remedied immediately, if not then we can be rest assured that the kids are not facing any health issues that are out of our control.

I am not trying to make this a complex issue, to me its pretty simplistic. Schedule tests for schools with an ongoing rotated schedule. Not the current twice a year with (visual inspection only) unless a complaint comes in.

If issues found, correct immediately, if not - move to the next test site etc..

Old 06-09-2014, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineCJ View Post
It's great to see that certain admins turned political candidates haven't completely turned into wishy washy politicians with platitudes and talking points. You can always get back to those good old tactics of bashing others your own site and get your wolf friends to join in with the fun.

I wonder if any other BOE members or candidates publicly do this with comments made to them?

Bravo.

Forgive me as I usually do NOT use this page to discuss actions that take place on other forums but I am hot under the collar right now. On another forum which will remain nameless, one of the people posting stated the following with regard to Mold issues at Western Union ES: "I wonder if the Ivy League schools that are old as the hills have any mildew or mold. I'm betting so. All of you folks who are so concerned about the "mildew" should most definitely research brand new colleges as to prevent such safety hazards when the time comes. Or would Western Union's mildew be more acceptable if it were a "10 out of 10" school?" When I read those words I was shocked that any parent would find it acceptable to knowingly place their child in an atmosphere that may present health risks. So I felt the need to respond on that forum and share my response here as well, I responded to the above post with: " (Name Withheld), so because you arbitrarily have decided with your own cosmic research that top ivy league schools must have mold, therefore our schools with mold shouldn't be an issue???? For real????
I will not put this on anyone else, I will talk about myself only. I almost DIED from "Mold Toxicity" and I am now extremely sensitive to mold as one would imagine. So excuse me if it boggles my mind that anyone with the word "mom" in their title finds it totally acceptable that there is mold issues at Western Union ES. I am very happy that their wasn't any major mold issues at SVHS and those that were discovered will actually "according to the report" be remediated properly.
Hey, I bet those really old Ivy league schools have asbestos and lead paint as well - So I guess thats cool with you too, huh?
Those who disagree on redistricting thats fine, its all about opinions and ideas for what each think is better, but health and safety are not negotiable and anyone that finds toxic fungi to be "acceptable" is either very ignorant to the dangers they present or are simply rejecting the idea because it isn't part of their argument for which ever side they believe in with redistricting.
The issues are NOT related - one is about seats and growth, the other is about health.
I am sure that some here will blast me for my stance on this, but I don't care one bit. Blast away and show your ignorance to the health risks that every parent should become much more aware of. I think every school should be tested and not just with visual inspections. And with each test that comes back without any health concerns we should be happy, and those that come back with elevated spores - we should take immediate and appropriate action."
As always, thank you Sunshine for sharing, as you can see I am open to sharing my views with everyone. I post regularly on several forums and not just my own. As you can see ( purposely left out any reference to names or identity of others) as my posts are not meant to create personal issues, but rather they are meant to bring light to the issues themselves.

I do not play backdoor games, I do not hide my views, I share them. I do not say one thing to some and other things to another - my message and views are the same across the board to any group as I believe in my principals and ethics.

In closing, you have referenced my running for office on several occasions. Thank you for that, I am willing to put myself out there in public to be scrutinized and have my views dissected. No one likes having their words and opinions taken apart piece by piece under a microscope but those who are willing to put themselves out there in public knowing that will happen, do it because their goal to try and help is more important than the negative comments that often come with the positions sought. I commend anyone who engages in the process, either as a poster or as a candidate. As long as we are all trying to help a situation then the chances of its success go up tremendously. If I get elected (great) if I do not (no problem), I will continue to try and help because thats who I am by nature.

Old 06-09-2014, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Earlier you were basically claiming that the redistricting was the only reason some of the older issues were getting addressed. Saying that and "I've been screaming from the rooftops to fix the aging schools" at the same time seems to be playing both sides of the fence a bit.
GoPhils, I said and meant that due to the redistrict many of us became aware of the issues at other schools. Most were not aware of the potential issues at other schools because they were involved with their own schools, the only people aware of issues at other schools prior to the redistrict issue were those who had children attend those schools. Due to the redistrict issue, many more people have become aware of the critical needs of all our schools. I do not see how that is both sides of the fence.

What others use as their excuses is there own issue. I have always stated that the redistrict issue and the health and safety of our children and facilities are two totally separate issues. I will always remain committed to the health and safety of our kids and our facilities, elected or not, redistrict or not.

There is NO fence riding on any issue at all.

Fix every school that needs fixing, keep our children safe and don't keep redistricting over and over every few years, find better long term solutions. There isn't any fence seen with that.

Old 06-09-2014, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
I notice that you didn't address one point made in the post you were responding to and wasn't saying mold was OK as you seem to imply. The party's comments seemed reasonable to me. So how is this trying to engage with someone you, apparently, disagree with?

If you are indeed elected, since you brought this up here previously, and a constituent makes the same comments to you, will you handle it the same way?
Waldo, I am not an elected official - I am a parent who cares and want to work with others to make a positive difference in this County. Dump trucks and peanuts were nothing more than potshots at my reference to almost dying due to mold. I do not need to engage in those tactics, to do so escalates a situation and does not help.

If elected, I will serve all the people of UC and therefore, engage with all who look for answers to questions or who bring potential solutions to the table. However, on this forum and at this time I will not continue back and forth with anyone who wishes to do so to simply stir the pot with continued stereotypes and negative prejudices against large groups of people.

Old 06-09-2014, 03:25 PM

52,433 posts, read 26,603,454 times
^Again you didn't address any point I made so I simply don't believe the platitudes that you continue to give yourself. Indeed, you continue to make the point that you are better than others here by accusing them of flaming stereotypes and negative prejudices.

As I said earlier, the more someone moves to tell us of their good and honorable intentions, the less likely it is true. It's sad.

Old 06-09-2014, 03:35 PM

6,321 posts, read 10,335,027 times
Quote:
GoPhils, I said and meant that due to the redistrict many of us became aware of the issues at other schools. Most were not aware of the potential issues at other schools because they were involved with their own schools, the only people aware of issues at other schools prior to the redistrict issue were those who had children attend those schools. Due to the redistrict issue, many more people have become aware of the critical needs of all our schools. I do not see how that is both sides of the fence.

What others use as their excuses is there own issue. I have always stated that the redistrict issue and the health and safety of our children and facilities are two totally separate issues. I will always remain committed to the health and safety of our kids and our facilities, elected or not, redistrict or not.

There is NO fence riding on any issue at all.

Fix every school that needs fixing, keep our children safe and don't keep redistricting over and over every few years, find better long term solutions. There isn't any fence seen with that.
I'm a bit confused as to how this is keeping them as two totally separate issues:

Quote:
Thank goodness I wear Sunglasses because the way some try to twist things is glaring and often gives a headache. I have been touting renovations since I became involved and stand behind the notion that all of our aging schools need to be renovated and enlarged prior to any of the newer schools being touched.

We all know that funding levels requested over the past years were not met and decisions needed to be made to re-prioritize the list of capital improvement projects. Between 2009 and 2014 the items in questions were not contracted, approved or completed. Yet, NOW all of a sudden they are a top priority. They were a priority years ago. i am glad to see these renovations taking place as I am a huge proponent of these needed changes, I and others are just not blinded by the light and realize that the only reason they are being pushed to the front of the list NOW is because of the redistrict. THAT is what this post is about, thank goodness I wear sunglasses. We are not looking for shade from the sunshine, we are simply looking for transparency and truth from UCPS and the BOE

But again, I am all about adding to the aging schools, renovations that are needed, ADA compliance (which is currently breaking the law at some sites by their lack of ADA compliance), I am very happy these additions are being done, I am simply just not blinded by the sunshine as to why they are happening NOW.

Old 06-09-2014, 03:42 PM

451 posts, read 711,840 times
Quote:
As always, thank you Sunshine for sharing, as you can see I am open to sharing my views with everyone. I post regularly on several forums and not just my own. As you can see ( purposely left out any reference to names or identity of others) as my posts are not meant to create personal issues, but rather they are meant to bring light to the issues themselves.
Again bravo for your approach and your openness.

I image that hand of yours must be getting pretty tired of patting yourself on the back so many times at this standpoint.

How about undeleting that FREE redistricting cost comment thread from last week or perhaps you or one of your tin hat friends could recommend a good screen capture program. Admins have so much power as you know. It's a magical way to rewrite history and stupid comments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte