U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2014, 11:11 AM

5,787 posts, read 8,431,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by waxhawmom75 View Post
Nobody yet. We will have a much better idea tonight, though.
I suspect you're right about nobody, but doubt we'll have a better idea tonight. Yet people in this thread throw out specific numbers for distances... and then carry through with further assumptions about options based on those numbers. Baffling considering they have no clue how the committee did it.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - there is no transparency or documented procedures for this process. We are left to guess. It will be interesting to see what this facilities committee releases tonight... based on history it will be a list of those impacted with no clear definitions on how the determinations were made. I hope they prove me wrong, but I highly doubt it.

Old 01-14-2014, 11:34 AM

1,226 posts, read 2,055,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooLogical View Post
Maybe it comes down more to who's good at math and who isn't?

Newtown Village is 8.2 miles to Parkwood. Weddington Chase is 13.7 miles.
Newtown Village is 4.2 miles to Cuthberson. Weddington Chase is 3.8 miles.

It's an extra 4 miles for Newtown Village to attend PW vs. CHS.
It's an extra 10 miles for Weddington Chase to attend PW vs. CHS.

If we gave these maps and population numbers to any random person with no knowledge of incomes or housing values, they would make the exact same decision.
makes sense to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaxhawMike View Post
the richest in the county will remain at the top performing schools but that's just coincidence, there are no other options.... gotcha
So, I guess you are expecting The Reserves and Somerset to be districted out of Marvin Ridge, since they are the lower priced, and Weddington Chase and those mansion south of Bonds Grove to stay at Marvin Ridge, since location isn't an issue, but money is???

Old 01-14-2014, 11:54 AM

451 posts, read 609,404 times
Bus routes are the key. Start with the current ES boundaries, look at the southern and eastern boundaries, subdivision info (where they are, # of houses, density, and age of the subdivision) then know that each bus is about 40 kids then compare it to the proposal, throw in the municipal politics (incorporated vs unincorporated) and go from there. Distances can be calculated based upon the entrance to the particular subdivision.

For example, with Sandy Ridge the proposal has Marvin ES losing 17 students and Sandy Ridge losing 223 students. The Marvin ES students will probably come from the Chatsworth subdivision, east of Providence and north New Town, and get moved to Weddington ES which is picking up 32. The 223 from Sandy Ridge ES will likely go to Kensington which is crazy on the face of it. The only subdivisions with any real density and for political reasons that would be easily be moved are Chimneys, again sounds crazy, and the Barrington subdivision. Neither are actually in "Marvin", which would go nuts and both are dense enough that 5-6 buses could do both of them quickly to Kensington/Cuthbertson. Reserve may go, since it also isn't in "Marvin" but it is fully built out while Chimneys isn't completely done yet and is further south. Somerset is Rea ES so it won't go even though it isn't Marvin either. Weddington Chase is in "Marvin" and as a result probably won't get moved. As for the rest if you the subdivision and politics you probably have a good guess. Waxhaw has to be split up just because of the numbers.

Everyone will know in less than 8 hours...

Old 01-14-2014, 12:07 PM

18 posts, read 28,509 times

Union County Public Schools

The Union County Board of Education Facilities Committee will meet tonight at Walter Bickett Education Center at 6PM. The first item on the agenda is a presentation of a potential student reassignment plan. The associated maps used during the presentation will be posted on the school system’s website at approximately 6:05PM tonight. There will not be an opportunity for public comment at this meeting.

Old 01-14-2014, 12:54 PM

2,104 posts, read 3,585,433 times
Quote:
Money doesn't matter?

Let's use Weddington Chase and Newtown Village as examples... Depending on where you are in each neighborhood you are somewhere between 9-12 miles from Parkwood and 4-5 miles from Cuthbertson.

Now, which neighborhood do you think is at a greater risk of being redistricted to Parkwood?
Well for one, Weddington Chase is part of Marvin and they pay taxes to both UC and Marvin, so it makes sense to stay there.
If It has to be moved, Cuthbertson is almost adjacent to Weddington Chase and Weddington schools are next to be close by - just makes sense from bus route perspective alone.

Old 01-14-2014, 01:03 PM

631 posts, read 737,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
How does one get these specific measurements for distances? Especially when you're talking about a community like Weddington Chase... which is huge. As the crow flies Cuthbertson is literally behind them. If you're measuring "geographically" is it distance from the center of the neighborhood? ...the entrance (which one if there's multiple)?... the deepest house in? ... do you follow roads?

I'm sure people will "guess" or be "logical"... but who knows for sure?
I used Google Maps and asked for directions. I clicked the approximate middle of each subdivision and then the address for both schools. The map function found the shortest driving route. So, yes I didn't do it for every house, but they are not going to zone house by house. It will be neighborhood by neighborhood. You're correct that CHS is very close to Wedd Chase, but the drive around the block makes up the ~4 miles.

I certainly don't know what the school district will use for their decisions, but wanted to get the proper details out there. When the buses figure out their efficiency, they will use road miles travelled and student volume to optimize their routes as best they can.

Old 01-14-2014, 01:11 PM

2,104 posts, read 3,585,433 times
Quote:
the richest in the county will remain at the top performing schools but that's just coincidence, there are no other options.... gotcha

Some of the not so "rich" neighborhoods (Reserve, Somerset, Hunter Oaks) in MR district will most likely stay at MR due to proximity. The fact that some of the "richest" ones (Longview, Firethorne, Windham Hall, PD) are close by N-E border of UC, it makes little sense to send them elsewhere. Then we have subdivisions like Weddington Chase that pays taxes to Marvin and UC and most likely they pay extra so they can be part of Marvin town & schools as well.

We'll see in couple of hours, it will be a busy time for realtors...only ones that will gain from this mess...

Last edited by 28173; 01-14-2014 at 01:43 PM..

Old 01-14-2014, 01:35 PM

5,787 posts, read 8,431,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooLogical View Post
I used Google Maps and asked for directions. I clicked the approximate middle of each subdivision and then the address for both schools. The map function found the shortest driving route. So, yes I didn't do it for every house, but they are not going to zone house by house. It will be neighborhood by neighborhood. You're correct that CHS is very close to Wedd Chase, but the drive around the block makes up the ~4 miles.

I certainly don't know what the school district will use for their decisions, but wanted to get the proper details out there. When the buses figure out their efficiency, they will use road miles travelled and student volume to optimize their routes as best they can.
Earlier in the thread someone said they use the entrance, not the middle like you did for measuring... wouldn't your details change using entrances?

Old 01-14-2014, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
Earlier in the thread someone said they use the entrance, not the middle like you did for measuring... wouldn't your details change using entrances?
OK Let's try the entrance. I'm picking the entrance closest to the school if there are multiple.

Original values from the center of the neighborhood:
  • Newtown Village is 8.2 miles to Parkwood. Weddington Chase is 13.7 miles.
  • Newtown Village is 4.2 miles to Cuthberson. Weddington Chase is 3.8 miles.
  • It's an extra 4 miles for Newtown Village to attend PW vs. CHS.
  • It's an extra 10 miles for Weddington Chase to attend PW vs. CHS.

Updated values from the entrance of the neighborhood:
  • Newtown Village is 8.0 miles to Parkwood. Weddington Chase is 12.4 miles.
  • Newtown Village is 4.0 miles to Cuthberson. Weddington Chase is 3.6 miles.
  • It's an extra 4.0 miles for Newtown Village to attend PW vs. CHS.
  • It's an extra 8.8 miles for Weddington Chase to attend PW vs. CHS.

Insignificant difference.

The other important factor that's been pointed out is that, in general, the shift will push to the east and south. There is no other direction for the Kensington and Sandy Ridge neighborhoods to go because of the county/state lines. So if a neighborhood is on the bubble towards the east and or south of their current school, they will most likely move to the next school in that direction.

We will find out tonight.

Old 01-14-2014, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28173 View Post
Some of the not so "rich" neighborhoods (Reserve, Somerset, Hunter Oaks) in MR district will most likely stay at MR due to proximity. The fact that some of the "richest" ones (Longview, Firethorne, Windham Hall, PD) are close by N-E border of UC, it makes little sense to send them elsewhere. Then we have subdivisions like Weddington Chase that pays taxes to Marvin and UC and most likely they pay extra so they can be part of Marvin town & schools as well.

We'll see in couple of hours, it will be a busy time for realtors...only ones that will gain from this mess...
I'm sure the town politicians will jump in and try to "save their citizens" but town taxes for Marvin, Weddington, Waxhaw, Mineral Springs, etc contribute zero to the schools. We pay for that out of our county taxes, hence why we have a county district.

All of those neighborhoods listed are almost right next to each other (Somerset-Hunter Oaks-Longview and Reserve-ProvDowns, etc) and are all north and west of MR. They have no other direction to go without crossing county or state lines. How "rich" they all are has nothing to do with their location to the school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or