Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2014, 05:12 PM

56 posts, read 79,519 times

Advertisements

Thank god were safe. Feel terrible for all the kids and parents that got the shaft.

Old 01-14-2014, 05:56 PM

397 posts, read 664,491 times
Some of cuthbertson is now going to sun valley. Some going to parkwood. Some back to weddington. Some actually staying at cuthbertson (not many!). Millbridge split in half. Well, they weren't kidding about moving some things around!! I feel for the kids/families who may have to move but I hope that they have plenty of neighborhood friends to accompany them. I was fortunate this time around to stay at the same schools. 3 more years and anything goes... again.

Old 01-14-2014, 05:57 PM

103 posts, read 162,281 times
I think it is safe to say after attending tonight's meeting, that Union County's home schooling will increase tenfold as a result of the overhaul of our public schools.

Old 01-14-2014, 06:03 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,718,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINYTransplant View Post
I think it is safe to say after attending tonight's meeting, that Union County's home schooling will increase tenfold as a result of the overhaul of our public schools.
Or applying for charter/private schools....

Old 01-14-2014, 06:10 PM

751 posts, read 933,803 times
What do the lines on the maps represent? For instance, I went to map 7 (Weddington Cluster) and there are blue lines, but also white/gray background. Is the blue lines the proposal and the white/gray what is existing? ie: Anything white outside of blue lines would be a change of schools?

Old 01-14-2014, 06:11 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,022,564 times
... and the poo will fly!

Old 01-14-2014, 06:14 PM

397 posts, read 664,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaxhawMike View Post
lol, assignments are worse than even I would have ever imagined...

So many transfers from Weddington to Sun Valley. So many transfers from Cuthbertson to Sun Valley and Parkwood. Wow, you're not kidding. I had no idea it was going to entail SO much.

Old 01-14-2014, 06:17 PM

3,519 posts, read 2,820,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineCJ View Post
Gee I don't know. How about Weddington. It's about a 2 miles away.

The only current residents of the county getting the perceived shaft are the ones who don't want their kids to be moved from the Cuthbertson cluster to the Parkwood cluster or from Weddington to Sun Valley/Monroe. Which is like saying to half the county our kids are too good for your kind. Good luck trying to convince over half the BOE that redistricting shouldn't happen with that attitude when over half of them represent that side of the county who have felt for years like they are the ones being shafted all the time by the north western half.
Gee Sunshine, I live about 2 miles away from Weddington and Cuthberston. Now we go to a school 8 miles away. How'd that work out for our neighborhood. Not as well as one the doesn't even exist yet.

And come down off your moral high horse. It has nothing to do with money as you imply. It's all about test scores. Maybe if the grades of Sun Valley and Parkwood had better test scores, we wouldn't mind as much. But they don't and test scores and graduation rates are the only way to compare schools straight up. Your attitude is the one that needs adjusting. You seem to have a chip on your shoulder about people who make more money than you and you're casting your ill conceived perceptions on anyone who suggests a different opinion on the matter other than yours. "We're snobs because we don't want to associate with the people of lower income on the other side of the county". Nice. It's all about the grades hot shot. They don't lie.

Old 01-14-2014, 06:18 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,718,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UDcc123 View Post
What do the lines on the maps represent? For instance, I went to map 7 (Weddington Cluster) and there are blue lines, but also white/gray background. Is the blue lines the proposal and the white/gray what is existing? ie: Anything white outside of blue lines would be a change of schools?
For map #7:

Anything within the blue lines is the proposed district for WHS.

Anything within WHITE is EXISTING for WHS (what you have now)

As you can see, WHS seems to be constricting....it gave away alot to SV (and Hensley Meadows and parts of Wensley park to Monroe),and took a small neighborhood from Cuthbertson...

Old 01-14-2014, 07:05 PM

116 posts, read 255,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
For map #7:

Anything within the blue lines is the proposed district for WHS.

Anything within WHITE is EXISTING for WHS (what you have now)

As you can see, WHS seems to be constricting....it gave away alot to SV (and Hensley Meadows and parts of Wensley park to Monroe),and took a small neighborhood from Cuthbertson...
and a couple of neighborhoods from MR:
Weddington Chase, Chatsworth, Therrell Farms, Meadows, Weddingonton Forest, Victoria Lake, Providence Glen

lot's of kids with red eyes and furious parents tonight in many divisions in UC...

Last edited by Severin1; 01-14-2014 at 07:18 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte