U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2014, 05:00 AM

103 posts, read 143,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineCJ View Post

Those who think that they can "vote out" those responsible with Facebook/Twitter/etc. don't understand the make up of the BOE (what district they are from and when they are up). There are 9 members (6 districts and 3 at-large).
We understand the makeup and the time each member is up for re-election. What makes you think parents in Monroe are happy? Did you see that many of those parents will now have to bus their children 10-12 miles out to Marshville to attend schools within the Forest Hills cluster. Many of our children are young and unless those of us move out of county we will not forget this potential redistrict. Social media will help to remind each member's re-election date and what they are doing to our kids. An event like this will engage more people in the process whether it is running for a board position or working to end a current member's position.

Last edited by LINYTransplant; 01-15-2014 at 05:58 AM..

Old 01-15-2014, 05:03 AM

527 posts, read 638,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineCJ View Post
These guys did after all win a $91M judgement against the the county. You may think they are stupid but they know some pretty good lawyers and I think they were consulted as part of this process.

Move on and make the best of it for yourselves and most importantly for your kids.
Knowing good lawyers does not make you smart... and no, we won't just move on and make the best of it.

Old 01-15-2014, 06:34 AM

397 posts, read 580,464 times
I do believe, in this midst of all of the chaos, that certain schools will experience an increase in desirability/scores/etc. When you take half of a high rated school and send them to a lower rated school, something has to happen. Not attempting to make anyone feel better per se or to lessen the upset... but perhaps as a whole UCPS will grow stronger with these changes.... any thoughts?

Old 01-15-2014, 06:48 AM

666 posts, read 527,228 times
I'm new to the area...but what makes people think the BOE had ulterior motives? From an outsiders perspective, it looks like the schools were getting overcrowded and they were tasked with redistricting. There must be a reason why they re-drew the lines where they did...so if it's not due to efficiency and effectiveness, then why did they draw them where they did?

Separately, my heart goes out to all of the families that were redistricted...just a terrible situation all around

Old 01-15-2014, 06:51 AM

4 posts, read 7,600 times
It seems the plans for the southwest part of the district actually alleviates some of the population projections. However, I am shocked at the redistricting of east side of the county. Even with all the disruption to so many residents (Weddington, Sun Valley, Porter Ridge, Piedmont) the end result is not much better? Every school remains at a razor's edge of being overcrowded or still on a watch/cap list. Why can't the board present the redistricting data to the state to 'prove' the need for more schools- at least in that Sun Valley area? The board seems to be making the case that we can't build more schools until the vacant seats are filled. That argument works for Parkwood area but not for the east side of the county. Why redistrict those areas at all?

Moving doesn't seem like a great option unless we move out of NC. CMS seems worse by comparison.

Old 01-15-2014, 06:51 AM

397 posts, read 580,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UDcc123 View Post
I'm new to the area...but what makes people think the BOE had ulterior motives? From an outsiders perspective, it looks like the schools were getting overcrowded and they were tasked with redistricting. There must be a reason why they re-drew the lines where they did...so if it's not due to efficiency and effectiveness, then why did they draw them where they did?

Separately, my heart goes out to all of the families that were redistricted...just a terrible situation all around

There are lots of conspiracy theories. But the reality is that there were some severe overcrowding situations that had to be addressed. I think your outsider perspective is more than likely accurate. But I will have an army that disagrees with me I'm sure

Old 01-15-2014, 06:52 AM

2,109 posts, read 3,589,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waxhawmom75 View Post
I do believe, in this midst of all of the chaos, that certain schools will experience an increase in desirability/scores/etc. When you take half of a high rated school and send them to a lower rated school, something has to happen. Not attempting to make anyone feel better per se or to lessen the upset... but perhaps as a whole UCPS will grow stronger with these changes.... any thoughts?
Agree. Plus some kids moving from top schools could see increased grades, which will help them in the college admission process.

Old 01-15-2014, 07:01 AM

56 posts, read 67,011 times
Quote:

I agree. Its personal for alot of people and kids lives are getting affected that sucks but the numbers are the numbers. The district has plenty of seats to accommodate all the kids they just need to sit at different tables. Instead of focusing on trying to change the map lines focus needs to be put on bettering the education and scores of schools.

Old 01-15-2014, 07:13 AM

7,672 posts, read 9,931,209 times
Wow, my daughter's phone blew up with texts from her UCPS friends about having to go to a new school next year. I feel so badly for her friends and families. And during finals week, that was brilliant as well.

Old 01-15-2014, 07:17 AM

103 posts, read 143,409 times
Quote:
From an outsiders perspective, it looks like the schools were getting overcrowded and they were tasked with redistricting. There must be a reason why they re-drew the lines where they did
The reason comes down to money- always has and always will. Still reviewing all the numbers but it does look like the Cuthbertson cluster, specifically the MS & HS, is taking the biggest hit. Looks like enough seats have been cleared for homes that are just being built or will be built within the next 2 years. Lawson is still building homes in their current space and across the street they plan to expand to create another subdivision. From what I've been told heavy equipment is present and they have already begun clearing some trees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or