U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2014, 07:30 AM

48 posts, read 50,543 times

Advertisements

***save this message***

If the board of ed. and county commissioners keep this approach to the population increase and refuse to build more where it is needed, there will be plenty of room for the children in a couple years.

I'm not impressed with UCPS nor Union County as a whole. When the menu gets worse and the wait line is real long, I choose a different restaurant. It wasn't that long ago that this county was nothing to speak of. When your home value drops, the schools become average or below, and the infrastructure is lacking, people move away..... trust me. Many of us have moved before- we can move again if need be.

Old 01-15-2014, 07:44 AM

238 posts, read 495,016 times
I was at the meeting last night. I was relieved that we were safe, but so sadden for others that were in tears over the news. We dodged a bullet...for now.

Old 01-15-2014, 07:51 AM

2,147 posts, read 3,662,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 28173 View Post
Agree. Plus some kids moving from top schools could see increased grades, which will help them in the college admission process.
my son would have been in top 5 (GPA) at Sun Valley with his grades vs. WHS top 35. Most definitely he would have better college options coming from SV...with that being sad I am glad my kids are done with HS after this year

Old 01-15-2014, 08:54 AM

3,521 posts, read 2,235,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineCJ View Post
It's not about the "grades and graduation rates" and all of you are smart enough to know it but don't want to say it.

Grades and graduation rates are a factor of what?

Facilities? Cuthbertson and Weddington schools are newer and nicer than Parkwood/Sun Valley therefore have higher grades.

Intelligence? Cuthbertson and Weddington kids are smarter than Parkwood/Sun Valley kids.

Teachers? Cuthbertson and Weddington have better teachers than Parkwood/Sun Valley.

Is this really the argument people want to make for not redistricting because the district can fix the facility issue and the teacher issue just by busing the Weddington/Cuthbertson kids to Sun Valley/Parkwood and vice versa or do we want to mention the unmentionable?
Go ahead.

Old 01-15-2014, 09:19 AM

631 posts, read 736,674 times
Here's exactly why many people are upset and won't admit it. Direct quote off one of the Facebook sites:

"We need more than that. We need the housing caliber to be of the same as the rest in the rezoning choices. If not, values will drastically go down as well as the effects of our children not being with their own kind will dramatically effectthem. This was not thought through correctly and should not be approved."

You have to be kidding me!!!!

Old 01-15-2014, 09:19 AM

1,076 posts, read 1,995,532 times
No do not say it. Race is irrelevant... domegraphic income may be relevant but please, do not. I am not going to tolerate it as my daughter falls into the 4% hispanic population in Waxhaw, and we have a combined household income more than most. We were affected by this redistricting going from a 10 to a 5 but race is not the issue. If that's where you were going... I saw another forum where someone brought this up, and it ruffled my feathers.

Old 01-15-2014, 09:33 AM

103 posts, read 143,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooLogical View Post
Here's exactly why many people are upset and won't admit it. Direct quote off one of the Facebook sites:

"We need more than that. We need the housing caliber to be of the same as the rest in the rezoning choices. If not, values will drastically go down as well as the effects of our children not being with their own kind will dramatically effectthem. This was not thought through correctly and should not be approved."

One random comment off of a facebook page? Really?!?? I actually agree with the last sentence regarding the thought process behind the proposal. I for one am concerned with a number if issues:

1.) test scores at proposed new school
2.) graduation rates at proposed new school
3.) teachers with less advanced degrees and experience at proposed new school
4.) my child's after school program might not p/u from proposed new school because of distance
5.) facilities (and I'm not talking about inside the class room)
6.) distance
7.) stability of family
8.) stability of child's friends

Old 01-15-2014, 09:47 AM

397 posts, read 579,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooLogical View Post

Does this surprise you though? I totally expect that many people think this way. The parents that think this way are not doing a great job preparing their children for the real world, that's for sure. My advice to them (as it has been in the past) is this.... if you want "caliber" and your "own kind" PLEASE for the love god move your kids to PRIVATE SCHOOL!!!!!!

Old 01-15-2014, 09:48 AM

397 posts, read 579,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiLShorty4lyfe View Post
No do not say it. Race is irrelevant... domegraphic income may be relevant but please, do not. I am not going to tolerate it as my daughter falls into the 4% hispanic population in Waxhaw, and we have a combined household income more than most. We were affected by this redistricting going from a 10 to a 5 but race is not the issue. If that's where you were going... I saw another forum where someone brought this up, and it ruffled my feathers.

As it should. You are stronger, smarter, and tougher than them. So keep on doing your thing and proving them wrong I'm sure your daughter is going to be an amazing adult!!

Old 01-15-2014, 09:53 AM

4 posts, read 5,745 times
I am JUST on the other side of the line now going to Western Union...I live 1.1 miles from NewTown!!!! Really? Is there anything I can do? Petition? Protest? This seems ridiculous!! Help!!!! Please!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or