Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2014, 09:53 AM

186 posts, read 287,315 times

Advertisements

There will be a lot of real estate available in Union Co this spring.

Old 01-15-2014, 09:55 AM

186 posts, read 287,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jostmary View Post
I am JUST on the other side of the line now going to Western Union...I live 1.1 miles from NewTown!!!! Really? Is there anything I can do? Petition? Protest? This seems ridiculous!! Help!!!! Please!!!

Here's a link to the petition if you're interested. It's gotten quite a lot of action in the past <24 hours.

http://www.change.org/petitions/unio...porter_message

Old 01-15-2014, 09:59 AM

18 posts, read 32,724 times
Here is another issue I never understood that is not unique to Union County, why in the hell do we ELECT the Board of Education? Unless these folks are your neighbor you generally know nothing about them on election day except for rumors. Most folks don't have time to dive into the backgrounds of BOE candidates and yet the decisions they make (like this one) are vital. I would much rather make it a job that you qualify and interview for. Maybe I am crazy but it just seems dumb to do it this way....

Old 01-15-2014, 10:37 AM

238 posts, read 567,704 times
Someone at the meeting yesterday, stated he didn't want his kids consorting with low class families from low income areas. Maybe he wrote that facebook post too. This is going to get ugly.

Old 01-15-2014, 10:47 AM

398 posts, read 618,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooLogical View Post
Here's exactly why many people are upset and won't admit it. Direct quote off one of the Facebook sites:

"We need more than that. We need the housing caliber to be of the same as the rest in the rezoning choices. If not, values will drastically go down as well as the effects of our children not being with their own kind will dramatically effectthem. This was not thought through correctly and should not be approved."

You have to be kidding me!!!!
Thanks TooLogical...saw this as well and it made my blood boil. Exactly what I don't want my kids to experience.

Old 01-15-2014, 10:48 AM

533 posts, read 936,081 times
So was the rezone formed because of overcrowding or to blend low/medium/high family incomes across all the schools?

Old 01-15-2014, 10:53 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,813,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloante74 View Post
So was the rezone formed because of overcrowding or to blend low/medium/high family incomes across all the schools?
I had proposed that earlier upthread and got a DM with that UCPS would never ever do that...lol (before the maps were released)

Old 01-15-2014, 11:38 AM

451 posts, read 712,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd Jedd View Post
And come down off your moral high horse. It has nothing to do with money as you imply. It's all about test scores. Maybe if the grades of Sun Valley and Parkwood had better test scores, we wouldn't mind as much. But they don't and test scores and graduation rates are the only way to compare schools straight up. Your attitude is the one that needs adjusting. You seem to have a chip on your shoulder about people who make more money than you and you're casting your ill conceived perceptions on anyone who suggests a different opinion on the matter other than yours. "We're snobs because we don't want to associate with the people of lower income on the other side of the county". Nice. It's all about the grades hot shot. They don't lie.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineCJ View Post
It's not about the "grades and graduation rates" and all of you are smart enough to know it but don't want to say it.

Grades and graduation rates are a factor of what?

Facilities? Cuthbertson and Weddington schools are newer and nicer than Parkwood/Sun Valley therefore have higher grades.

Intelligence? Cuthbertson and Weddington kids are smarter than Parkwood/Sun Valley kids.

Teachers? Cuthbertson and Weddington have better teachers than Parkwood/Sun Valley.

Is this really the argument people want to make for not redistricting because the district can fix the facility issue and the teacher issue just by busing the Weddington/Cuthbertson kids to Sun Valley/Parkwood and vice versa or do we want to mention the unmentionable?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd Jedd View Post
Go ahead.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiLShorty4lyfe View Post
No do not say it. Race is irrelevant... domegraphic income may be relevant but please, do not. I am not going to tolerate it as my daughter falls into the 4% hispanic population in Waxhaw, and we have a combined household income more than most. We were affected by this redistricting going from a 10 to a 5 but race is not the issue. If that's where you were going... I saw another forum where someone brought this up, and it ruffled my feathers.
Never said it was race. Was never going there and didn't think it was ever implied.

In fact it's not race at all because the makeup of the high schools across the district are fairly similar. Cuthbertson to Parkwood, Weddington to Sun Valley, etc. Fairly similar, not exactly. Even MR isn't that far off from other nearby clusters. There are exceptions of in the district of course.

MR is much, much less diverse in more ways than any other cluster in the district. It's almost like a private school system and that really ticks a lot of people off as reflected in this thread and all the redistricting Facebook groups. Even more so now than ever.

The unmentionable in this case(for which I will be quickly blasted by hundreds in this thread) is socioeconomic status, SES, as it directly impacts test scores and graduation rates. “Kind” is a combination of education, income, and occupation. Cuthbertson and Weddington are of a similar “kind”. Parkwood and Sun Valley are viewed as not of that “kind”. The eligibility for a free lunch is often used as a measure of a student’s socioeconomic status. It’s not perfect but it’s reflected here. Cuthbertson is 14% while Parkwood is 39.2%. Weddington is 9.5% while Sun Valley is 36.2%. Privilege, power and control. It’s not fair and it’s not right but it’s the reality in this case.

There was no outrage before the caps and redistricting proposal about the conditions at Parkwood, Sun Valley or any of the other schools in the eastern part of the county. No facebook groups, no petitions, no marching on board meetings. Nothing. Out of sight, out of mind. Just keep MY schools good and MY taxes low. Only now when that privilege, power and control are challenged is there outrage. And even this current outrage is misguided. Nothing to address the inequities and problems. Only to continue to avoid them by not sending MY kids there.

My school has a lacrosse team, that school does not. My child can’t get to an after school program because that school is too far. Etc., etc., etc….

Union County Public Schools is a countywide school system not a cluster system. Everyone who moved here should have known that and should have taken that into account. If you want a cluster system move back to New Jersey, Long Island, Ohio, or wherever else just not to CMS.

Last edited by SunshineCJ; 01-15-2014 at 12:00 PM..

Old 01-15-2014, 11:45 AM

4 posts, read 8,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooLogical View Post
Here's exactly why many people are upset and won't admit it. Direct quote off one of the Facebook sites:

"We need more than that. We need the housing caliber to be of the same as the rest in the rezoning choices. If not, values will drastically go down as well as the effects of our children not being with their own kind will dramatically effectthem. This was not thought through correctly and should not be approved."

You have to be kidding me!!!!
That is just shameful. I have to believe that opinion is the minority. if it is not, I may need to consider moving for that reason rather than redistricting. Hate breeds hate. Elitism breed elitism. Sad

Old 01-15-2014, 12:08 PM

238 posts, read 567,704 times
Quote:
There was no outrage before the caps and redistricting proposal about the conditions at Parkwood, Sun Valley or any of the other schools in the eastern part of the county. No facebook groups, no petitions, no marching on board meetings. Nothing. Out of sight, out of mind. Just keep MY schools good and MY taxes low. Only now when that privilege, power and control are challenged is there outrage. And even this current outrage is misguided. Nothing to address the inequities and problems. Only to continue to avoid them by not sending MY kids there.
This to me proves how uninvolved the parents at Parkwood are. Their scores are low and nothing has been done to better the school. No outrage as you say. Nothing. Why? Because those parents don't care. Let's face it, some parents don't care about their kids education. It's not number one on their priorities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte