U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2014, 12:18 PM

451 posts, read 609,666 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCbound01 View Post
This to me proves how uninvolved the parents at Parkwood are. Their scores are low and nothing has been done to better the school. No outrage as you say. Nothing. Why? Because those parents don't care. Let's face it, some parents don't care about their kids education. It's not number one on their priorities.
Thanks for proving my point. Only took a few minutes.

Old 01-15-2014, 12:27 PM

4 posts, read 7,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCbound01 View Post
This to me proves how uninvolved the parents at Parkwood are. Their scores are low and nothing has been done to better the school. No outrage as you say. Nothing. Why? Because those parents don't care. Let's face it, some parents don't care about their kids education. It's not number one on their priorities.
Maybe some of "those" parents are working 2 minimum wage jobs to make ends meet. And have become apathetic to a system that has stripped them of their political power and voice. I hope you never find yourself in the shoes of someone less fortunate than you. You'll likely find that you have no idea what you are talking about.

Old 01-15-2014, 12:35 PM

1,076 posts, read 2,000,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by involvedparent View Post
Maybe some of "those" parents are working 2 minimum wage jobs to make ends meet. And have become apathetic to a system that has stripped them of their political power and voice. I hope you never find yourself in the shoes of someone less fortunate than you. You'll likely find that you have no idea what you are talking about.

Be that as it may, it does affect our childrens education.

Old 01-15-2014, 12:37 PM

527 posts, read 637,926 times
Quote:
100% agree, but at the end of the day it's about test scores... Parkwood doesn't have them so people don't want to go there. I know of a lot of folks in the Cuthbertson disctrict that bought more house than they could comfortably afford because of the schools. They too are making sacrifices.

Old 01-15-2014, 12:37 PM

2,108 posts, read 3,588,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineCJ View Post
... Nothing to address the inequities and problems....
So how do you propose we make everybody equal in our society/county???

Communists have tried that and failed - where the state/government owns everything and we all are getting equal pay regardless of education/work... It ended up with countries full of starving people and broken economies...

What do you propose we all do besides volunteering and donating to less fortunate?

Old 01-15-2014, 12:42 PM

36 posts, read 99,888 times
The fact is, if I wanted my children to attend Sun Valley, Parkwood, Cuthberson, Marvin or Monroe, I would have built my house there 9 months ago. WE CHOSE and paid for the area where we wanted to send our children...now the BOE gets to chose??? They need to address any issues with long term solutions, not band-aids only to rip them off and start over again in a few years. For the record, my children are not affected by the redistricting... but just barely! This is the second time we have gone through this and I want this to stop, for ALL the kids involved and the parents that lose sleep over it. Instead of arguing with each other, lets take that energy and band together for our kids sake. We have the power of social media this time and I hope we can make it work for us and turn this around!

Old 01-15-2014, 12:42 PM

3,521 posts, read 2,243,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waxhawmom75 View Post
I do believe, in this midst of all of the chaos, that certain schools will experience an increase in desirability/scores/etc. When you take half of a high rated school and send them to a lower rated school, something has to happen. Not attempting to make anyone feel better per se or to lessen the upset... but perhaps as a whole UCPS will grow stronger with these changes.... any thoughts?
Sure the test scores will go up by bringing in kids from a high rated school to a lower rated one, but will the test scores of the kids already in the lower rated school go up to?

Ask yourself why the test scores in the more affluent neighborhoods are higher than those in less affluent ones. And this is nothing specific to Union County, NC.

Old 01-15-2014, 12:50 PM

103 posts, read 143,378 times
Quote:
Well said. It is truly disheartening to read what people think on this thread. I mentioned my circumstances previously and know of at least 3-4 other families in my neighborhood that are under tremendous stress regarding this news. Two parents working, one child in the school system who currently gets picked up by an after school program (of the parent's choice because of location/quality and services provided). That same program does not know if they can provide the same pickup service based on the potential location of the new school.

I know this might be a minor issue for some but for a two-parent household that works that after school service is invaluable. We are middle-income families, looking to provide the best we can for our children.

Old 01-15-2014, 12:51 PM

3,521 posts, read 2,243,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UDcc123 View Post
I'm new to the area...but what makes people think the BOE had ulterior motives? From an outsiders perspective, it looks like the schools were getting overcrowded and they were tasked with redistricting. There must be a reason why they re-drew the lines where they did...so if it's not due to efficiency and effectiveness, then why did they draw them where they did?

Separately, my heart goes out to all of the families that were redistricted...just a terrible situation all around
This is the question MikeyKid asked, "Where is the transparency?" Apparently some people are willing to take the BOE at it's word that they are doing what's best for the county, while some of us would like to know the methodology they used to come up with this plan other than "we used the McKibben Report".

Old 01-15-2014, 12:53 PM

4 posts, read 7,597 times
With regards to the test score question, if (as it seems some people suggest) it is the parents fault, then how will that impact your child? Why would your child's test scores go down simply by being in "proximity" to a student with lower test scores? Afraid the lower test scores will somehow rub off? If you think the teachers are to blame for the lower test scores, say that. If you think that more resources need to put into these schools to ensure everyone has an equal shot at decent education, say that. If you think Union County has failed some areas of the district, say that. Everyone should be able to rally to any one of those causes. We should unite around all of those causes. But saying keep me where I am at because only higher SES parents care about their children's education? C'mom
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or