U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2014, 12:57 PM

48 posts, read 50,654 times

Advertisements

UCPS must provide the information to backup what they just served. Who was the person who drew the lines on the map? Surely there was a piece by piece approach and there were board members deciding where to draw lines on a map. My question is, what was the criteria? I bet I could rework that map and come up with a less dramatic solution. I have no confidence in a group that offered up that redistricting proposal last night. This is a black eye to the WHOLE COUNTY, not just the affected areas. Will a prospective buyer move to UCPS right now? I sure wouldn't. I would wait another year or so to look again when the smoke clears. If I did not have the luxury of time, I would just stay away from Union County. It's too volatile with it's school redistricting issues. We all lose with this lame solution that is proposed and it will be hard to rebuild confidence in the current board. Change for the sake of improvement is good.... change for the sake of change is not...

Old 01-15-2014, 12:58 PM

103 posts, read 143,349 times
The below website is interesting.

Union County Public Schools, NC - District Ratings

Old 01-15-2014, 12:58 PM

98 posts, read 145,751 times
May as well live in a Communist country. Because if I remember correctly, we live in a country that has FREEDOM of speech. Oh and also when I bought my home nobody told me what color I can paint my bedroom or what I can BBQ either. It's called MY Freedom. But I have a solution. When the Board of Education pays my mortgage and the town and county pay my taxes . Then and only then they should be aloud to tell me where I should send my kids. But like when donkeys fly or he'll freezes over. I choose where I want my kids to go. My wife and I brought them into this world and we saved to buy a house in a good neighborhood and sacrificed a lotto give them the best we could. Don't take that away. I don't care if you have less money or more money than me that's not the issue. We all choose what we can or cannot afford and for that it dictates where we live or don't. So don't move people to areas they didn't buy in. Thanks my opinion

Old 01-15-2014, 01:16 PM

7,672 posts, read 9,921,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by involvedparent View Post
With regards to the test score question, if (as it seems some people suggest) it is the parents fault, then how will that impact your child? Why would your child's test scores go down simply by being in "proximity" to a student with lower test scores? Afraid the lower test scores will somehow rub off? If you think the teachers are to blame for the lower test scores, say that. If you think that more resources need to put into these schools to ensure everyone has an equal shot at decent education, say that. If you think Union County has failed some areas of the district, say that. Everyone should be able to rally to any one of those causes. We should unite around all of those causes. But saying keep me where I am at because only higher SES parents care about their children's education? C'mom
Lower scores overall generally can mean more time is spent on re-teaching, more coaching on test methods, slowing down learning in the class etc. As for parent involvement, this can be simple as making sure homework is done at home. Making sure they read, study etc. Checking grades online and asking your kids about them. It boggles my mind how many parents I know don't do this and it's so simple. That to me is an involved parent. Everything else is extra and if your schedule/lifestyle permits.

Old 01-15-2014, 01:39 PM

3,521 posts, read 2,242,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itstimetomuskup View Post
I agree. Its personal for alot of people and kids lives are getting affected that sucks but the numbers are the numbers. The district has plenty of seats to accommodate all the kids they just need to sit at different tables. Instead of focusing on trying to change the map lines focus needs to be put on bettering the education and scores of schools.
And what numbers would these be? The ones in the McKibben Report?

By my research, Union County has been using McKibben for 10 years to report on the county's demographics. In that time, the county has received had at least 3 reports. In a quick review I see estimates from the earlier reports that don't match up with actual numbers in the later ones.

Putting that aside for the moment, since the county has been using these reports for the last 10 years to shape the cluster boundaries, they have had to redistrict to re-balance school populations several times. Now they need to do so again because several schools far surpass their capacities yet again.

So I ask, what's the disconnect?

Is the BOE not doing a good job of following the recommendations of the report to implement a proper re-balancing effort?

Are the numbers in the report wrong? Yes, I know these are predictions from McKibben, but the county is paying them for a little bit more than an educated guess. This is what they do, so the are the numbers accurate or is the school board not implementing a remedy correctly? If it was because the numbers were incorrect in the past, why do we keep using them.

The root question is why are we in the situation we are in now?

If the county's plan is to keep making wholesale redistricting changes every 3 years, the reputation of Union county will suffer and people will look to live elsewhere. Indeed the new plan has big holes as some schools will be on capacity watch the year after the latest redistricting is implemented. Shuffling kids around like they are just numbers every 3 years so everyone fits at "a table" is not a very good way to run a stable school system.

Old 01-15-2014, 01:48 PM

5,787 posts, read 8,433,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd Jedd View Post
This is the question MikeyKid asked, "Where is the transparency?" Apparently some people are willing to take the BOE at it's word that they are doing what's best for the county, while some of us would like to know the methodology they used to come up with this plan other than "we used the McKibben Report".
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpl77 View Post
UCPS must provide the information to backup what they just served. Who was the person who drew the lines on the map? Surely there was a piece by piece approach and there were board members deciding where to draw lines on a map. My question is, what was the criteria? I bet I could rework that map and come up with a less dramatic solution. I have no confidence in a group that offered up that redistricting proposal last night. This is a black eye to the WHOLE COUNTY, not just the affected areas. Will a prospective buyer move to UCPS right now? I sure wouldn't. I would wait another year or so to look again when the smoke clears. If I did not have the luxury of time, I would just stay away from Union County. It's too volatile with it's school redistricting issues. We all lose with this lame solution that is proposed and it will be hard to rebuild confidence in the current board. Change for the sake of improvement is good.... change for the sake of change is not...
Exactly - as I suspected; no transparency, no documentation... just some magical new lines - decided by 4 people acting on an appointed committee... no minutes from any recent meetings... nothing related to the process. This is what I've been taking issue with since the Board shipped the whole thing off to this committee and they essentially acted in secret.

They deserve everything they get.

However, I will say that we all knew at the time we bought our houses that the school district is run at the county level... and there is a proven history of redistricting. My wife and I seriously considered this possibility when we chose the location of our home.

Old 01-15-2014, 01:53 PM

533 posts, read 767,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpl77 View Post
Will a prospective buyer move to UCPS right now? I sure wouldn't. I would wait another year or so to look again when the smoke clears. If I did not have the luxury of time, I would just stay away from Union County.
To be honest that's exactly what UC needs atm. It's grown too fast.

Old 01-15-2014, 02:23 PM

238 posts, read 496,100 times
Quote:
However, I will say that we all knew at the time we bought our houses that the school district is run at the county level... and there is a proven history of redistricting. My wife and I seriously considered this possibility when we chose the location of our home
I considered that as well. I knew redistricting in public schools is always an option, which is why I chose to be as close as possible to the schools I wanted. 1 mile vs. 14 miles...hmm, that's pretty safe bet.

Honestly I don't think all of the re-assignments they did were bad. Several made sense. Some people were just inconvenienced by a mile or 2. Worst was 8.

The millbridge side that was affected is very close to waxhaw highway. We know the redistricting goes by community entrance. Another reason why I didn't buy there.

Old 01-15-2014, 02:27 PM

48 posts, read 50,654 times
Sloante I agree... now take it one step further, if building stalls out due to the politics of this redistricting, the McKibbon report becomes even more worthless, and that negative snowball effect begins. Then, like I stated earlier this morning, there will be plenty of seats at all the schools....

Old 01-15-2014, 02:42 PM

5,787 posts, read 8,433,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCbound01 View Post
I considered that as well. I knew redistricting in public schools is always an option, which is why I chose to be as close as possible to the schools I wanted. 1 mile vs. 14 miles...hmm, that's pretty safe bet.

Honestly I don't think all of the re-assignments they did were bad. Several made sense. Some people were just inconvenienced by a mile or 2. Worst was 8.

The millbridge side that was affected is very close to waxhaw highway. We know the redistricting goes by community entrance. Another reason why I didn't buy there.
8 additional miles is significant - like 10 miles to the new school vs 2 miles in current school... I believe that warrants further evaluation.

I remember driving around the area when we just arrived looking at the new developments to see what each builder was offering for comparison. We were all over MR, Cuthbertson, and Weddington. Cuthbertson was so expansive I remember being shocked. Millbridge, as your example, set off alarms going that far South... and all the way across over by Billy Howey I was shaking my head thinking they shared the same HS. Weddington, even though being the most mature of the "newer" schools was so big, too. Wesley Chapel didn't seem to fit since it extended so far out and South... some of those communities surprised me when I realized they were zoned to Weddington.

I agree some make sense... Hollister to Weddington... Weddington Chase back to Weddington... off the top of my head... probably think of many more.

I will say they gave just about every cluster something to hate. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or