U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2014, 03:07 PM

533 posts, read 767,477 times

Advertisements

Back in 1986 I was bussed to Carmel Jr High school (now known as Carmel Middle) all the way from Tilley Morris road (Matthews) - where we lived...believe it was 11-12 miles. Charlotte school system was a wreck back then. The schools were very segregated. CMS hired a hot shot principle (Mr Clemmer) to clean up Carmel, which he did - and then went on to become Providence Sr High's first principle, where I went to high school. Be thankful your kids will not be riding the bus as far as we did thru traffic on Providence Rd....man it took forever lol

In the end it all worked out fine. My friends living in close proximity all went to Carmel with me.

Old 01-15-2014, 03:08 PM

3,521 posts, read 2,240,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINYTransplant View Post
The reason comes down to money- always has and always will. Still reviewing all the numbers but it does look like the Cuthbertson cluster, specifically the MS & HS, is taking the biggest hit. Looks like enough seats have been cleared for homes that are just being built or will be built within the next 2 years. Lawson is still building homes in their current space and across the street they plan to expand to create another subdivision. From what I've been told heavy equipment is present and they have already begun clearing some trees.
And again, it means making current residents sacrificing for future ones.

Also, it seems like the county is going to be on the loosing side of a school issue again. From the county Tax Administration web site page:

"The next revaluation cycle has been set for 2015."

Awwwwwwwwwwwwww, if the BOE could have waited one more year....

I'll be looking into how to make sure my property evaluation is based on current 2015 values next year.

Old 01-15-2014, 03:23 PM

19 posts, read 29,930 times
I posted this on a FB page but I'll post here to because I really do want to know:

Not to be the bad guy here, but I would love to hear what other realistic options people think would work? I don't think it's realistic to cap the schools for too much longer Building a new school might help some of us but certainly not everyone. How fast do they build schools here and is it right to build another school instead of fix and update existing schools that are only at 60% capacity?

I moved here a year ago so this is our first time going through this. I have no ill intention with question, just curious as to what other effective solutions people have.

Old 01-15-2014, 03:41 PM

103 posts, read 143,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCbound01 View Post
Honestly I don't think all of the re-assignments they did were bad. Several made sense. Some people were just inconvenienced by a mile or 2. Worst was 8.
A good number of Monroe parents will be subjecting their kids to 10-12 mile bus rides in some cases.

Old 01-15-2014, 03:54 PM

5 posts, read 9,182 times
Smile Union County Board Of Commissioners are the Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by northunion View Post
After reading an article about the roof leaks and flooding at Sun Valley High, I was shocked. It sounds so bad at SVHS that safety is a major concern for the principal. Repairs were deemed urgent in 2009 but nothing has happened. Even if my neighborhood isn't rezoned, this process has really opened my eyes to the UCPS board, they aren't really doing right by the kids in some cases. Is a dry school too much to ask?
You can't blame UCPS. The recent $91m judgement that UCPS was awarded against the Union County Board of Commissioners tells the real story. The BOC is not discouraging excessive development in areas where school overcrowding occurs and has not allowed capital improvement, etc to be done over the last few years. The UCPS is funded by the BOE so next time there is an election of county commissioners you can either:
1) vote for a school friendly commissioner or
2) run for a commissioner seat if a school-friendly commissioner is not running! (which will probably be the case!)

Old 01-15-2014, 04:28 PM

3,521 posts, read 2,240,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cncforum View Post
You can't blame UCPS. The recent $91m judgement that UCPS was awarded against the Union County Board of Commissioners tells the real story. The BOC is not discouraging excessive development in areas where school overcrowding occurs and has not allowed capital improvement, etc to be done over the last few years. The UCPS is funded by the BOE so next time there is an election of county commissioners you can either:
1) vote for a school friendly commissioner or
2) run for a commissioner seat if a school-friendly commissioner is not running! (which will probably be the case!)
I see it as both ends being the problem.

What I mean is no one on the BOE had the insight to ask to the BOC, "Hey, we are going to run out of room soon with all this building going on..."?

Or someone the BOC (knowing that a lot of building was going) on could have asked the BOE "How are we fixed for space?

Someone on the BOE or BOC could have done a little applied thinking and took a little initiative to bring up a looming problem instead of operating in separate vacuums.

Old 01-15-2014, 04:31 PM

2,148 posts, read 3,669,364 times
Well, I bet Central Academy's wait list will grow longer, big time! My daughter was in the first graduating class and it was a good experience for her. We lived in Weddington school district. She went there for the dance academy. It was a 25-30 minute drive and with her cheerleading practice, after school activities she would go to school, come home go back for after school activities and back home. We drove her the first year or 2 so we survived, not a big deal. She had many friends that did not necessarily attend for the specific curriculum (dance, theatre, medical science), they went there to 'escape' their zoned school. Most of these kids attended Piedmont, Forest Hills, Parkwood.

Old 01-15-2014, 05:44 PM

397 posts, read 580,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCbound01 View Post
This to me proves how uninvolved the parents at Parkwood are. Their scores are low and nothing has been done to better the school. No outrage as you say. Nothing. Why? Because those parents don't care. Let's face it, some parents don't care about their kids education. It's not number one on their priorities.
Well hopefully you are now going to BE a Parkwood parent so you can save all the poor little children from their awful environments. They need you.

Old 01-15-2014, 05:46 PM

397 posts, read 580,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by involvedparent View Post
Maybe some of "those" parents are working 2 minimum wage jobs to make ends meet. And have become apathetic to a system that has stripped them of their political power and voice. I hope you never find yourself in the shoes of someone less fortunate than you. You'll likely find that you have no idea what you are talking about.

I hope she does, actually. With that attitude she deserves a little Karma kick in the behind.

Old 01-15-2014, 06:37 PM

527 posts, read 637,573 times
It's a real shame that some neighborhoods... cough, cough Wesley Oaks, are trying to set themselves up as being 'special'. We all need to work together. If we are divided, none of us have a chance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or