U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2014, 06:56 PM

397 posts, read 519,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaxhawMike View Post
It's a real shame that some neighborhoods... cough, cough Wesley Oaks, are trying to set themselves up as being 'special'. We all need to work together. If we are divided, none of us have a chance.
Absolutely Mike. I've seen this before in our last school district. Everyone is united until the lines are drawn. Then the long knives come out and its neighborhood vs neighborhood. Never ends well.

Old 01-15-2014, 07:35 PM

305 posts, read 661,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd Jedd View Post
I see it as both ends being the problem.

What I mean is no one on the BOE had the insight to ask to the BOC, "Hey, we are going to run out of room soon with all this building going on..."?

Or someone the BOC (knowing that a lot of building was going) on could have asked the BOE "How are we fixed for space?

Someone on the BOE or BOC could have done a little applied thinking and took a little initiative to bring up a looming problem instead of operating in separate vacuums.
Your post supposes that everyone on the BOC and BOE just seem to be a little befuddled, which is a quaint way of looking at a more selfish problem. The BOC didn't care if there was enough space. And the BOE was left to figure out the problem on its own. There is a history of disregard when it comes to the BOC and education in UC. All you have to do is look at how the BOE had to sue the BOC to get $ to make needed repairs at the schools. Maybe some of the parents here wouldn't feel like their kids are getting shafted at a sub-par school facility if the BOC had actually given the BOE a decent amt. of money all along to make repairs.

Old 01-15-2014, 08:46 PM

3,521 posts, read 2,243,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somersmom View Post
Your post supposes that everyone on the BOC and BOE just seem to be a little befuddled, which is a quaint way of looking at a more selfish problem. The BOC didn't care if there was enough space. And the BOE was left to figure out the problem on its own. There is a history of disregard when it comes to the BOC and education in UC. All you have to do is look at how the BOE had to sue the BOC to get $ to make needed repairs at the schools. Maybe some of the parents here wouldn't feel like their kids are getting shafted at a sub-par school facility if the BOC had actually given the BOE a decent amt. of money all along to make repairs.
Not befuddled, just thinking that doing the minimum amount of work their positions require is enough.

Old 01-15-2014, 08:53 PM

2,155 posts, read 3,386,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaxhawMike View Post
It's a real shame that some neighborhoods... cough, cough Wesley Oaks, are trying to set themselves up as being 'special'. We all need to work together. If we are divided, none of us have a chance.
I must have missed the part about Wesley Oaks being special.

Before we saw the maps, there was an assumption that Wesley Oaks would end up at Parkwood as well.

Old 01-15-2014, 08:57 PM

5,787 posts, read 8,436,546 times
Unless I'm reading the map wrong Wesley Oaks is in Sun Valley.

Old 01-15-2014, 09:16 PM

103 posts, read 143,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZnGuy View Post
Well, I bet Central Academy's wait list will grow longer, big time!
Someone I know connected with Metrolina Christian Academy told me they have already received more than 100 applications in the last 48 hours.

Old 01-15-2014, 09:47 PM

1,226 posts, read 2,056,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpl77 View Post
UCPS must provide the information to backup what they just served. Who was the person who drew the lines on the map? Surely there was a piece by piece approach and there were board members deciding where to draw lines on a map. My question is, what was the criteria? I bet I could rework that map and come up with a less dramatic solution. I have no confidence in a group that offered up that redistricting proposal last night. This is a black eye to the WHOLE COUNTY, not just the affected areas. Will a prospective buyer move to UCPS right now? I sure wouldn't. I would wait another year or so to look again when the smoke clears. If I did not have the luxury of time, I would just stay away from Union County. It's too volatile with it's school redistricting issues. We all lose with this lame solution that is proposed and it will be hard to rebuild confidence in the current board. Change for the sake of improvement is good.... change for the sake of change is not...
I'll try to explain the process a bit, since so many people seem so confused by the process, please forgive me if its over simplified.

Board of Education is 9 elected officials. They meet the first Tuesday of the month at 7pm, per board policy (unless holiday, etc).

Facilities Committee is 4 OF THOSE elected officials. You don't elect them separately, each member is placed in several committees, each committee consists of a minority of the board, since more than 4 would constitute a quorum and be considered an official board meeting. The committee just serves to get a more in depth understanding of each issue and decide whether to bring it up to board level. No decisions are made at this level except to vote to bring it to the board level. They always meet at 8:30 am, this has never changed. They do not draw the lines.... these are elected officials, so their level of educations and skill set ranges widely, and some actually have real jobs, so no, they are not the ones holding the pen.

The Board directs the superintendent to come up with a proposal and maps. They don't have a vote in the process, they are merely bringing the proposal to the committee and the board. The board makes all final decisions, and can tell them to go back to the drawing board if they so choose. She and the director of facilities and deputy superintendent and their subordinates were the ones that went over the numbers and based on board policy (which is clearly posted on their site), they come up with the lines, first trying to utilize their existing facilities (putting students in empty desks), then on distance (which is why each cluster had a list of distances), etc, etc . Here is the criteria, cut and pasted from board policy, notice the most important factor is utilization:

Spoiler

[SIZE=3]CRITERIA FOR PUPIL ASSIGNMENTS [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]

[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]In the elementary, middle and senior high schools [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]the criteria for pupil assignment will be based on utilization of facilities, [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]travel time from home, efficient operation of buses, continuity of attendance [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]lines, continuity of neighborhoods and otherwise as required by law. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]1. Utilization: Capacity shall be based on [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]the number of standard teaching spaces. Schools may operate above capacity [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]through the use of mobile classroom units and/or special purpose classrooms. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]2. Stability: Stability of attendance areas [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]is understood to mean that attendance areas should be altered only in accordance [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]with standards adopted by the Board and made known to the community. These [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]standards are: [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]a. Redistricting (or reassignment en mass) more [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]often than every three years should be avoided if possible. The Board may find [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]redistricting or reassignment to be made necessary more frequently in order to [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]fully utilize staff and facilities and to avoid overcrowding or under use of [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]available educational facilities and curriculum. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]b. Prior to school opening in the fall, with the [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]approval of the Board and proper public notice, the Superintendent may adjust [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]school attendance lines. When adjustments are necessary, an attempt will be made [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]to preserve small neighborhood groups and no geographic areas will be moved more [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]than once between redistricting.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]SCHOOL ASSIGNMENT 4-13 (Page 2 of 8) [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]c. Where residential developments cross over [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]established attendance lines, developers, property owners, or residents may [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]petition for changes in school assignment. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]3. Travel Time: Within the constraints of [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]previously defined criteria, the school attendance areas should be drawn to [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]minimize total travel time and distance. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]4. Busing: Within the constraints of [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]previously defined criteria, an effort will be made to assign students to the [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]closest school. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]5. Continuity: Where possible, attendance [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]lines should be contiguous [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]

Once you've been around long enough in such a rapidly growing county, you get used to all the redistricting. They have to rely on the projections, and remember, they are projections, not predictions. And of course the numbers are wrong based on today's numbers.... the report is made so you can take action based on those numbers. And you can't predict exact moments of recessions, and the fact that one builder will be more successful than another, and that sewer issues will impede one are but not another, that one builder will decide to build four homes on land previously approved for one, etc, etc. I'm sure if McKibben could predict all that perfectly, he wouldn't be working for Union County, but would be serving on the Presidential cabinet or playing cards in Las Vegas.

If you look at it objectively, it is the best thing for the county. Everybody that is affected is in an uproar about building new schools. But why in the world would the rest of the 85% of the county want to vote to build a new school (after having our taxes sky rocket after the 91 million is paid) when we desperately need the money to fix the existing ones that have plenty of space that that have been ignored for decades in the east while we built shiny new schools in the west. And 5 of the 9 Board members are representing constituents from those districts that y'all are too good for, and have been begging to fix those schools for years that nobody wants their kids in. Well.... their kids have been emptying garbage cans full of water for some time now from leaky roofs, and nobody cared to notice, but now they have to hear everyone whining about their kid being devastated because there isn't a lacrosse team.

It's so disappointing to see parents attacking students from other schools and having such an elitist attitude and a sense of entitlement. I look at my daughter's instagram account and am absolutely not shocked at kids telling other kids too bad they have to go to "Poorwood", or calling Sun Valley "ghetto". The apple doesn't fall far from the tree. Like I read somewhere on this thread, I now feel worse for those kids at those schools that are going to get flooded with kids that think they are better than them and are going in with their nose turned down at their schools that they are proud of because it's all they have.

Last edited by cc0789; 01-15-2014 at 10:20 PM..

Old 01-15-2014, 10:10 PM

397 posts, read 519,992 times
Best post yet cc. Thanks.

Old 01-15-2014, 10:24 PM

2,155 posts, read 3,386,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
Unless I'm reading the map wrong Wesley Oaks is in Sun Valley.
You're reading correctly. The original speculation was that everything east of Waxhaw-Indian Trail Road would go to Parkwood.

Old 01-16-2014, 03:40 AM

48 posts, read 50,680 times
cc0789:

Thank you for your post. Please confirm that the person(s) in control and who determine which development gets moved around and which development can stay put is then the superintendent, director of facilities, and subordinates? I understand the procedures used, and the factors they consider.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or