U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-16-2014, 10:44 AM
 
631 posts, read 736,736 times
Reputation: 305

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvncsunshine View Post
...we have to take on Marvin and Cutherbertson students because of Marvin's growth, which shows no signs of stopping.
Most of the current growth creating this on the western edge of the county is further south and east of Marvin.

Based on the current projections on the current assignments, here's the anticipated growth of each cluster (Elem through HS) from 2013-2018:
  • Marvin Ridge +308
  • Weddington +454
  • Cuthbertson +1374

Can MR handle the 308? Probably.
Can Weddington handle the 454? Maybe.
Can Cuthbertson handle the 1374? No way.

I haven't analyzed the numbers around Porter Ridge, etc, but just wanted to point out that its not just one area causing all of this. We are all in the same boat.

Last edited by TooLogical; 01-16-2014 at 10:52 AM.. Reason: spelling and added last sentence

 
Old 01-16-2014, 10:50 AM
 
631 posts, read 736,736 times
Reputation: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by GONYMETS View Post
Thought we were fighting this as a county?? Seems like some want to turn this into a community against community. Yeah that's the way to get everyone involved huh? Now true colors come out. I was willing to help fight the cause but when they start throwing your community under the bus ( no pun intended) then it's everyone for themselves as I see it.
It's a shame! If its a county issue, then everyone should be protesting and signing petitions to fix the current schools with leaks, etc. Make sure they all have the same facilities and activities etc. But nope... Instead they are pitting their neighborhood against another so "they" don't have to move.
 
Old 01-16-2014, 10:57 AM
 
98 posts, read 145,534 times
Reputation: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooLogical View Post
It's a shame! If its a county issue, then everyone should be protesting and signing petitions to fix the current schools with leaks, etc. Make sure they all have the same facilities and activities etc. But nope... Instead they are pitting their neighborhood against another so "they" don't have to move.
That's why I'm getting upset. I've been signing petitions and backing as a whole. But now I see that I'm wasting my time. Because seems like nobody has my back now.
 
Old 01-16-2014, 11:17 AM
 
5,874 posts, read 7,714,524 times
Reputation: 3372
Quote:
Originally Posted by GONYMETS View Post
That's why I'm getting upset. I've been signing petitions and backing as a whole. But now I see that I'm wasting my time. Because seems like nobody has my back now.
You have? You were doing a lot of bashing of all things Parkwood and didn't seem to care that the influx of students should help improve its ratings because your kid would only be there for a short time. I'd be willing to bet that if your house stayed at Cuthbertson that you wouldn't have made any negative posts here the past couple days...
 
Old 01-16-2014, 11:21 AM
 
98 posts, read 145,534 times
Reputation: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
You have? You were doing a lot of bashing of all things Parkwood and didn't seem to care that the influx of students should help improve its ratings because your kid would only be there for a short time. I'd be willing to bet that if your neighborhood (I'm assuming Millbridge) stayed at Cuthbertson that you wouldn't have made any negative posts here the past couple days...
Well my community is split so we are going to Parkwood.
 
Old 01-16-2014, 11:22 AM
 
22 posts, read 30,030 times
Reputation: 31
I see your point, TooLogical. Thank you.
 
Old 01-16-2014, 11:38 AM
 
Location: Union County
5,783 posts, read 8,417,724 times
Reputation: 4818
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpl77 View Post
...I am convinced no one on the BOE, no one working for the superintendent, and no one on the BOC is poorly qualified or incompetent. It is, however, a system that isn't working well anymore. ... maybe the process should change to make what's best for everyone's child.
Exactly - the "process", certainly the documented process is laughable at face value... I won't even get into the legal side of it because it's so poorly written as a starting point. Process, procedures, laws - you don't write things open to interpretation and unclear...

UTILIZATION - First (and "most important"?) guideline:
"Schools may operate above capacity through the use of mobile classroom units and/or special purpose classrooms."
* Really? 2nd sentence... So what's the problem?

I won't even touch the other "standards" which are littered with "best effort" / "attempt" and out clauses containing ZERO specifics with regard to thresholds, procedures, etc. It essentially leaves the decision up to the Superintendent with the Board voting. That's it... I can save them a whole bunch of paper.

You are 100% correct in that the Board is operating under flawed principles and outdated policies for a county this size. Someone should be fixing that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineCJ View Post
Lets look at the initial premise that the McKibben report was wrong in the past because it grossly OVERESTIMATED the current number of students, therefore is wrong now and therefore no redistricting needed. I won't even talk about the effects of the Affordable Care Act and increasing interest rates comment.

How was the 12/2009 McKibben report wrong?

...
The elephant in the room... There's an old IT saying with regard to all systems - Garbage In = Garbage Out. If the entire basis for the redistricting is built on faulty data, it's no wonder they expect to redistrict every 3 years.
 
Old 01-16-2014, 11:41 AM
 
238 posts, read 495,076 times
Reputation: 158
Yeah this is getting ugly. Apparently there was a petition being passed around Cuthbertson to remove Millbridge completely to add other communities. Communities are turning against each other.
 
Old 01-16-2014, 11:53 AM
 
98 posts, read 145,534 times
Reputation: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCbound01 View Post
Yeah this is getting ugly. Apparently there was a petition being passed around Cuthbertson to remove Millbridge completely to add other communities. Communities are turning against each other.
Funny thing is people didn't know Cuthbertson was built because of Millbridge. Kensington is on Millbridge Property. It was donated by the developer. And is a direct feeder for Cuthbertson not a split feeder. Remember when it opened they added communities that were already in the Parkwood district just to fill it up. Well look how that backfired.
 
Old 01-16-2014, 11:57 AM
 
98 posts, read 145,534 times
Reputation: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCbound01 View Post
Yeah this is getting ugly. Apparently there was a petition being passed around Cuthbertson to remove Millbridge completely to add other communities. Communities are turning against each other.
So when was this petition passed around? Just curious since neighbors that are pretty involved w Cuthbertson live in Millbridge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:39 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top