U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2014, 11:57 AM

631 posts, read 737,794 times

Advertisements

One solution seems obvious to me. Aero Plantation should attend Forrest Hills because they can just fly there from their airport without impacting the buses.

(where's the sarcasm font?)

Old 01-16-2014, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GONYMETS View Post
Funny thing is people didn't know Cuthbertson was built because of Millbridge. Kensington is on Millbridge Property. It was donated by the developer. And is a direct feeder for Cuthbertson not a split feeder. Remember when it opened they added communities that were already in the Parkwood district just to fill it up. Well look how that backfired.
http://fpc.ucps.k12.nc.us/planning_c...HSApproved.pdf

Yup! Here are the Weddington, Marvin Ridge and Parkwood boundaries from 2009.

Old 01-16-2014, 12:09 PM

FYI, I had to search for these again since they are not on the main reassignment page on the UCPS site. Here are the reassignments from 2008 through now. Cuthbertson and Poplin were for the new schools. (scroll to the bottom past the new stuff)

Reassignment Information

Old 01-16-2014, 12:11 PM

48 posts, read 50,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc0789 View Post
So what is the alternative solution? I do hate that all these kids are getting shuffled, but that is just the nature of the problem when there is a fast growing county.

If you are aware of all the facts, you start to see why all these other alternatives just don't make sense. In a county dominated by republicans, you are going to see that people demand fiscal responsibility. It does just not make sense to not use resources that you have.

The only other alternatives that make some sort of sense to me are multi track year around schools (more costs and very difficult at middle and high school level), or doing away with the "cluster" system with the "feeder" schools.

It doesn't have to be this way. If the rules aren't working well, adjust them. "The nature of the problem" doesn't have to be. Does this sound like a great plan- In an effort to make room for students (that mostly don't exist yet) the proposal is to uproot approx. 5800 existing students and make them start over at a new school? There's a better plan and if it means looking at the redistricting policies and procedures as a whole, then please do. Union County will grow at a healthy rate. My kids are just starting to adjust with friends, athletics, social groups, the comfort of knowing your way around. I am quite the drill sergeant at my house and rest assured, my kids will do just fine should a proposal pass that entails moving my kids, but I do not want to see such a poorly planned method continue. This is a black eye for all of Union County.

To demand fiscal responsibility, why haven't the under-utilized schools been consolidated in the areas where the population doesn't support the seating? Combine a middle school with a high school and sell off the unused building/ land. I saw that first hand in my old town years ago and everyone just nodded. It made sense. Proceeds from the sale could then be used where they are needed... fix the existing schools.

Old 01-16-2014, 12:12 PM

22 posts, read 30,069 times
What year was Cuthbertson built?

Old 01-16-2014, 12:28 PM

98 posts, read 145,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvncsunshine View Post
What year was Cuthbertson built?
I believe it opened in 2009

Old 01-16-2014, 12:30 PM

Quote:
I believe it opened in 2009

So was it not built large enough?

Old 01-16-2014, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooLogical View Post
One solution seems obvious to me. Aero Plantation should attend Forrest Hills because they can just fly there from their airport without impacting the buses.

(where's the sarcasm font?)
THIS is the kind of out-of-the-box thinking we NEED!

Old 01-16-2014, 12:44 PM

397 posts, read 519,583 times
Quote:
Well my community is split so we are going to Parkwood.
And GONYMETS...we look forward to having you and making you child's experience a fantastic one.

Old 01-16-2014, 12:50 PM

2,103 posts, read 3,583,787 times
Biggest problem is that most people want to live as close to Charlotte as possible. So the N-E side of UC is the most expensive area, in this case it happens to be Marvin, Weddington & Cuthbertson clusters (no surprise they are in highest demand).

We don't need to waste money in studies that forecast a population increase in this area while they also says school demand will decrease...
How can they say this when population is increasing and first reason why new comers consider UC it is schools?
It makes no sense and it is a poor excuse against building new to match true demand.

Builders will keep pushing to get more new homes approvals, since they can&will sell the lots and house at a premium price, so let them (new comers) pay their part.
Unfortunately with this limited/reactionary thinking of our leadership, in the future this redistricting will happen again - regardless on how much we all hate it. We cannot afford to be reactionary, the small town mentality needs to be upgraded when planing for one of the fastest growing areas in NC.

Our only long term solution to our school problems it is to get money from builders and/or increase taxes to start planning to build schools or better off, additions to existing schools in the NE corner of UC. Most new comers are OK on paying a bit more in taxes as long as the school system is top grade (the return will be in increasing property values and most important, their kids future).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or