U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2014, 01:05 PM

1 posts, read 1,370 times

Advertisements

There is a meeting being held out side the new Wesley Chapel town hall on Saturday 1/18 at 11:00.
They are trying to organize to go AGAINST the re districting.

Old 01-16-2014, 01:39 PM

5,791 posts, read 8,444,119 times
I have to say that planning on simply trying to stop the redistrict effort completely may be counter-productive... the limited reading I've seen on the UCPS powers with regard to this are pretty clear. They don't need our permission to draw new lines and they set the wheels in motion by instituting official caps. The train is in motion.

As much as one may not like it - dealing neighborhood vs. neighborhood seems a more viable strategy to get changes in. The bigger the group the more difficult it is to accommodate under the caps.

Old 01-16-2014, 01:48 PM

31 posts, read 39,523 times
For those of you interested in multi-track "year-round" options, the average change of capacity for a school following a typical 4-track schedule is an increase of 25 %. The most commonly used 4-track schedules are the 60/20 (60 days of instruction followed by 20 days off-track) and the 45/15 (45 days of instruction followed by 15 days off-track). Students and teachers are assigned to the same track, and siblings remain on the same track. At any given time, 3 tracks are "on" while the 4th is "off". There are pros and cons to this strategy, and unfortunately there is no one solution that all will be happy with.

Old 01-16-2014, 01:53 PM

631 posts, read 739,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvncsunshine View Post
So was it not built large enough?
I'm sure others have more details, but basically it was proposed, designed, and built in the height of the market. When the housing market and overall market crashed in 2008-2009 it was being completed just as everything froze up. We all know the empty cleared fields that sat vacant for years. The anticipated population wasn't there anymore, so they added other areas to fill it up. At one point, I believe they proposed or used a wing for students serving in school suspensions or at risk kids or something. (You can imagine the outrage that created with the "not in my backyard" crowd). Over the past few years as things have started to pick back up, the new houses originally planned are now being filled in.

Unfortunately, some of the neighborhoods that were used to fill it up are now under the proposed redistricting to move back out. It stinks and I really do sympathize with the folks that became accustomed to their new school or those that bought houses and are feeling the bait-n-switch shock from the developers.

Old 01-16-2014, 02:25 PM

1,076 posts, read 2,002,772 times
This is just my personal story but I lived on a small farm with my horses in my yard, but in the Parkwood district. I loved living out in the country. In order to get my child into a higher achieving school district I sold a horse, took on costs of boarding another, moved to a .25 acre lot in a subdivision, and settled my wants and needs to ensure my childs were met. This is simply not right to now displace us for people who do not live here yet. I don't feel selfish, I made the choice based on my child. Elitist? I don't feel better than anyone, I loved living in the country. Entitled? I feel entitled to send my child to the school we moved here for.

Old 01-16-2014, 02:52 PM

98 posts, read 145,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooLogical View Post
I'm sure others have more details, but basically it was proposed, designed, and built in the height of the market. When the housing market and overall market crashed in 2008-2009 it was being completed just as everything froze up. We all know the empty cleared fields that sat vacant for years. The anticipated population wasn't there anymore, so they added other areas to fill it up. At one point, I believe they proposed or used a wing for students serving in school suspensions or at risk kids or something. (You can imagine the outrage that created with the "not in my backyard" crowd). Over the past few years as things have started to pick back up, the new houses originally planned are now being filled in.

Unfortunately, some of the neighborhoods that were used to fill it up are now under the proposed redistricting to move back out. It stinks and I really do sympathize with the folks that became accustomed to their new school or those that bought houses and are feeling the bait-n-switch shock from the developers.
Like I said before. It's sucks all around. But how am I supposed to feel when I bought those schools were built because of my community knowing it was needed. Then like you said things slowed down so other communities were brought in. Now it's getting crowded and in your opinion do you think it's fair that my community should be the one redistricted ? Honestly? It just seems strange that people that went to other schools before Cuthbertson ie Parkwood don't want to go back?. Why is that? Like everyone keeps telling me it's a great school. So you would think if you went there before you can go back and see some familiar faces right? Millbridge opened and it was Marvin Ridge 3.5 miles then Cuthbertson 4.1 miles now Parkwood 12 miles? Doesn't make sense. Look at the distance maps we are 1of 2 furthest away. Everybody else is within 8 miles.so who's really getting the shaft?

Old 01-16-2014, 02:59 PM

98 posts, read 145,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiLShorty4lyfe View Post
This is just my personal story but I lived on a small farm with my horses in my yard, but in the Parkwood district. I loved living out in the country. In order to get my child into a higher achieving school district I sold a horse, took on costs of boarding another, moved to a .25 acre lot in a subdivision, and settled my wants and needs to ensure my childs were met. This is simply not right to now displace us for people who do not live here yet. I don't feel selfish, I made the choice based on my child. Elitist? I don't feel better than anyone, I loved living in the country. Entitled? I feel entitled to send my child to the school we moved here for.
Well I'm glad you wanted better for your child. That's all we want for ours. It's nice to hear from someone that had the experience. Well said.

Old 01-16-2014, 03:08 PM

631 posts, read 739,200 times
I hear you GONYMETS! You definitely came in with an expectation and its been flip flopped on you.

Does anyone know know what year New Town opened? I'm guessing a lot of families that used to be zoned to Parkwood never actually attended Parkwood? There are lots of new houses in that New Town zone and many were with younger children. I doubt any MS or HS kid today ever started at Parkwood, moved to CHS and is now back at Parkwood, but I could be mistaken. The bulk of kids in that age group living in that area never knew Parkwood as their home school.

Old 01-16-2014, 03:15 PM

5,905 posts, read 7,763,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GONYMETS View Post
do you think it's fair that my community should be the one redistricted ?
Wait I thought you were "fighting it as a county"?

Old 01-16-2014, 03:15 PM

451 posts, read 610,252 times
New Town ES was August 2007.

More facts.

People should just look back to 2008 when the lines were drawn for Cuthbertson and some people were upset leaving MRMS/HS or wanted in Cuthbertson and out of Parkwood.

Forget fighting redistricting with this petition and that petition it's about the amendments for subdivision trading, grandfathering and any other issue you think is valuable. This what people need to be thinking about and planning for. John Crowder and John Collins will likely drive the process as they were there back in 2008. Bitching about the BOE/staff via e-mail, social media, or actually at the public meetings isn't going to help your cause when the amendments come up by the way. If you think the subdivision vs. subdivision fighting is bad after 2 days just wait until the public meetings and as we get closer to March.

April 15, 2008...

STUDENT REASSIGNMENT PROPOSAL
FOR MIDDLE SCHOOL/HIGH SCHOOL “C”

Dr. Davis presented information requested by the Board following the April 8th Public Hearing on the Student Reassignment Proposal for Middle School/High School “C.” Following discussion of the information, Carolyn Lowder made a motion to approve the superintendent’s recommendation and allow Quellin, Anklin Forest, Cureton Renaissance and an identified unaffiliated area to stay at Marvin Ridge. John Crowder seconded. The motion failed with a 2-6 vote. Dean Arp, John Collins, Sharon Gallagher, Kimberly Morrison-Hansley, Kim Rogers, and Richard Weiner opposed. John Parker was not present for the vote.

Sharon Gallagher then motioned to approve the superintendent’s recommendation with the exception that all of New Town Elementary be assigned to Middle School/High School “C” and no juniors be grandfathered to Marvin Ridge High School. John Collins seconded.

Before the vote, Kim Rogers offered an amendment to the motion that would allow all of Quellin to remain at Marvin Ridge, Heathwood, Trails End, Locklyn Heights, Magnolia Ridge, and an identified unaffiliated area be assigned to Middle School/High School “C,” and allow juniors at Marvin Ridge the choice of remaining at Marvin Ridge. Richard Weiner seconded. The vote on this amendment failed with a 1-7 vote. Kim Rogers was the only supporting vote. John Parker was not present for the vote.

Richard Weiner then offered an amendment to the motion that would allow Heathwood, Trails End, Locklyn Heights, Magnolia Ridge, and an identified unaffiliated area to go to Middle School/High School “C.” Kim Rogers seconded and the motion to amend passed with a 6-2 vote. John Collins and Sharon Gallagher opposed. John Parker was not present for the vote.

Kim Rogers then offered another amendment to the motion that would allow grandfathering of Marvin Ridge juniors. Carolyn Lowder seconded and the motion passed with a 5-3 vote. John Collins, Sharon Gallagher, and Richard Weiner opposed. John Parker was not present for the vote.

Carolyn Lowder offered another amendment to the motion that would include Brantley Oaks as part of the “C” attendance area. Richard Weiner seconded and the motion carried with a 6-2 vote. John Collins and Sharon Gallagher opposed. John Parker was not present for the vote.

The Board then voted 4-4 on the original motion with approved amendments. Dean Arp, John Collins, John Crowder, and Sharon Gallagher voted in opposition. John Parker was not present for the vote. The motion failed due to lack of majority.

Kimberly Morrison-Hansley then motioned to approve the superintendent’s recommendation with no split feeder at New Town, no grandfathering of Marvin Ridge juniors, and include the Heathwood block of subdivisions in the Middle School/High School “C” attendance area. Carolyn Lowder seconded.
Before the vote, John Collins offered an amendment to the motion that would delete the Heathwood block. Sharon Gallagher seconded and the motion to amend passed with a 5-3 vote. Kim Rogers, Richard Weiner, and Dean Arp opposed. John Parker was not present for the vote.

The Board then voted 6-2 to approve the newly amended motion. Kim Rogers and Richard Weiner opposed. John Parker was not present for the vote. The motion passed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or