U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2014, 08:35 PM

451 posts, read 608,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvncsunshine View Post
So I question whether or not Marvin Ridge and Cuthbertson also have trailers? I'm wondering if trailers are not being considered as a viable option because trailers are too "low-brow" for those schools. Granted, they are unsightly and sub-optimal in every respect, however they do serve a purpose. If Cuth and MR already have trailers then I apologize for my assumption. If not, then I have to wonder if that's another type of "not in my backyard" thinking. Furthermore if Weddington has had trailers for more than 5 years and is still using them.... Then I, like many, question the data, because presumably rather than getting their own trailers, MR And Cuth are sending their students to..... Weddington Trailers.
Anything at or near cap probably has trailers. Sandy Ridge ES=trailers. MRMS=trailers. Kensington ES=trailers. Even AIG kids get put trailers. Trailers don't discriminate.

I hear MRMS has those fancy air conditioned bathroom trailers with attendants that hand you fresh towels so the kids don't have to go inside to school for the bathroom. (That was a sarcastic comment meant to lighten the mood and not true).

Last edited by SunshineCJ; 01-17-2014 at 09:23 PM..

Old 01-17-2014, 09:20 PM

5,783 posts, read 8,411,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaxhawMike View Post
The majority of the Union County population is against redistricting... this board is probably the very worst place to come for accurate information. There are 3-4 posters, it's obvious who they are, that are either board members, UCPS facilities employees, or are just big fans of 'government knows best' and blindly follow the propaganda machine.

This isn't over and if we stick together we can beat it...

• Several months ago I posted that the new maps were coming and I was told I was just spreading rumors
  • As recent as 10 days ago I said Millbridge was at risk and was told I was just spreading rumors
  • A week ago I said that Wesley Oaks was in the same boat as Millbridge and I was told I was just spreading rumors
I stated all of those things as facts and as it turns out... well, they were true. I don't have all of the 2008 meeting minutes and I don't know all of the board members. But, I do have enough contacts inside UCPS to have been in the know on a few things and to know that it's not a done deal.

The last thing I'll say tonight is this... I said months ago that this wasn't really about enrollment. It's about $'s and test scores. I still stand by that and believe that as a community we can prove that to be the unquestionable motivation.
Were those logical conclusions or did you know through your contacts? Psychic? They only need 5 board members to be in favor of redistricting for it to happen.

The overcrowding is not like debating global warming or evolution, we see it happening. They need to do something. Arguing over how we got here or ulterior motives isn't helping anyone's case.

If they don't redistrict, what do they do? I know other options will be presented to the Board - I hope we hear some good ones. If the trailers idea is any indication of a "top choice", I'm concerned.

Old 01-17-2014, 09:24 PM

3,521 posts, read 2,233,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd Jedd View Post
Nope, sorry, the logic is there but the numbers do not support it. If they are going to bring Sun Valley to Cap level and leave Cutherbertson at 300 below watch level, it makes no sense. It cost $0 to leave 300 to 400 kids currently at Cuthbertson rather than moving them to Parkwood and Sun Valley.
As far as the feeder schools after redistricting, the same there. Most are left running way under Watch level with only one or 2 going over Watch level.
So why the whole sale shift east? To prep for more volume in Weddington/Cuthbertson/MR that they are not officially showing in their numbers? It seems likely.
The BOE would rather run all those clusters below Watch level and displace all these kids now to leave room for some mystery growth that their own report does not show happening (remember we're supposed to peak ~5% by 2018-2019 and the trend downward).
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc0789 View Post
Yes, I completely agree that is what they are doing. Can you blame them??? Do you really think ANYONE wants to go through this again? Isn't that why everybody is attacking them now, because they didn't have a crystal ball and plan 10 years out?
As my point goes sailing right over your head.

The very report they are using states that population plateaus in 2018. Yet they are leaving the 3 eastern most schools significantly under watch level. Not cap level.

For what? Just in case they are wrong?

But they're not wrong. The numbers are pretty close to spot on as you posted. So which is it? Were the numbers spot on from 2010? That would mean they did a poor job of redistricting last time since they feel they need to move 6000 kids this time around. So the numbers must be wrong. Or was it the job they did?

Please let us know where the problem was from the last report and the last redistrict. Because if the BOC did such a good job then, why is everybody attacking them now?

Old 01-17-2014, 10:23 PM

Quote:
As my point goes sailing right over your head.

The very report they are using states that population plateaus in 2018. Yet they are leaving the 3 eastern most schools significantly under watch level. Not cap level.

For what? Just in case they are wrong?
No-Because no one really lives out there (again no offense meant, its rural not suburban like the western part of the county) and the cost to bus students, both $$$s and student well being, would out weigh the benefits. Now if there was a true conspiracy theory to raise test scores, the BOE would bus as many kids from the Marvin cluster as they could to Forest Hills (again no offense) and have a really good lacrosse and dance teams allowing them the buy the vote of Kevin Stewart, a Forest Hills grad and District 2 Rep. (There may be a little sarcasm there to)

Quote:
But they're not wrong. The numbers are pretty close to spot on as you posted. So which is it? Were the numbers spot on from 2010? That would mean they did a poor job of redistricting last time since they feel they need to move 6000 kids this time around. So the numbers must be wrong. Or was it the job they did?

Please let us know where the problem was from the last report and the last redistrict. Because if the BOC did such a good job then, why is everybody attacking them now?
They did a poor job redistricting when Cuthbertson opened. They allowed Weddington Chase and a couple of others to stay in the Marvin cluster instead of moving them to Weddington as once proposed. They drew the lines too big for Cuthbertson. And these mistakes got compounded starting in 2011 when the migration from parts unknown and the housing market started to come back in the southern part of the Marvin cluster, (i.e. Chimneys) and Cuthbertson cluster came back (i.e. Quellin Cureton, Lawson, Millbridge, etc.). Sort of the same thing with SV. I think any time one moves lines you want to impact the fewest people possible. They did that and lost.

Old 01-17-2014, 10:45 PM

2,155 posts, read 3,370,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineCJ View Post
No-Because no one really lives out there (again no offense meant, its rural not suburban like the western part of the county) and the cost to bus students, both $$$s and student well being, would out weigh the benefits. Now if there was a true conspiracy theory to raise test scores, the BOE would bus as many kids from the Marvin cluster as they could to Forest Hills (again no offense) and have a really good lacrosse and dance teams allowing them the buy the vote of Kevin Stewart, a Forest Hills grad and District 2 Rep. (There may be a little sarcasm there to)

They did a poor job redistricting when Cuthbertson opened. They allowed Weddington Chase and a couple of others to stay in the Marvin cluster instead of moving them to Weddington as once proposed. They drew the lines too big for Cuthbertson. And these mistakes got compounded starting in 2011 when the migration from parts unknown and the housing market started to come back in the southern part of the Marvin cluster, (i.e. Chimneys) and Cuthbertson cluster came back (i.e. Quellin Cureton, Lawson, Millbridge, etc.). Sort of the same thing with SV. I think any time one moves lines you want to impact the fewest people possible. They did that and lost.
I'm still missing why they can't do trailers until this student "bubble" passes in a few years and/or there is time to build additions on to existsing schools.

Before MR and Cuthbertson were built they had trailers stacked up at Weddington like "Hollywood Squares", and they somehow survived.

Old 01-17-2014, 11:00 PM

It's not a student bubble it's plain old growth in Marvin, Cuthbertson, Weddington clusters. Developers, builders, buyers, and parents are all chasing the school ratings. Throw in a bunch of empty land and you have a problem.

The Weddington trailer farm as I understand it was a result of known schools being built. Marvin MS/HS in particular. Bonds approved, land purchase, etc., etc.

Right now, baring an act of God, there isn't going to be a bond issue or any other capital spending approved by the BoCC for the BOE.

Old 01-18-2014, 04:46 AM

985 posts, read 1,649,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvncsunshine View Post
Not buying this, but thank you for the information. Will check for myself and will apologize to you specifically if appropriate.
Well, I volunteered at MR middle for the lasst 3 years, I had 3 kids the first year in middle school and 2 the last two years.

The current 7th grade class is HUGE they are the biggest class the school has seen. Yes there are trailers, and they are okay the problem comes when a child needs to come into the building whether to go the bathroom or to see the nurse etc. All the oustide doors are locked so the kids have to walk up from the trailers into the front of the building.

I don't understand why the trailers do not have bathrooms, they did in Michigan where we moved from.

Yes the kids are 2 to a half locker this started last year, and with the size of the classes there is not much end in site.

They post earlier did not mention that starting last year lunch was made shorter to accomodate all the kids, each grade was split into 2 lunches so they have 6 lunch times at the middle school, followed by 6 "recess" times

And yes there are 40+ kids in classrooms same with the high school. I have 3 at the high school this year and many of their classes have 39 or more and one teacher. It was one teacher at the middle school level too.

So yes, go out and research the crowded MRMS. Why would you question if this was even true, it has been posted here in other threads LONG before redistricting was mentioned.

Old 01-18-2014, 05:53 AM

5,869 posts, read 7,703,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaxhawMike View Post
The last thing I'll say tonight is this... I said months ago that this wasn't really about enrollment. It's about $'s and test scores. I still stand by that and believe that as a community we can prove that to be the unquestionable motivation.
Would this be illegal even if it was true? Besides, shouldn't the cost be a major concern anyway? I think someone mentioned earlier that if they get the overall scores up they would be eligible for additional funding or something? Isn't that a good thing as that could then be used for issues such as the roof at Sun Valley?

People like to make generalizations like "Union County is full of great schools" when obviously this thread shows that a lot of people disagree with that. But in the end if the redistricting helps bring up the scores of the average and below average schools then overall it could be good for the county. Sure the growth might slow a bit in the NW portion but as has been said that might not be a bad thing. But it also might give people more inventive to buy in some of the other areas (plus if the rest of the scores are better if might reduce the backlash when the next redistricting happens).

Along those lines, most of the backlash over this is because of the same reasons you are accusing the BOE of using anyway. A large majority of what people seem to be saying is "don't move my kid from a school with high test scores to a school with low test scores." And yet as has been said by others I have yet to see a viable alternative. The one main Facebook page's recommendation is "wait til next year" (most likely when the page's creator's child would be graduated or something). Really? That's the best you've got?

Old 01-18-2014, 06:16 AM

305 posts, read 659,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mewith3 View Post
Well, I volunteered at MR middle for the lasst 3 years, I had 3 kids the first year in middle school and 2 the last two years.

The current 7th grade class is HUGE they are the biggest class the school has seen. Yes there are trailers, and they are okay the problem comes when a child needs to come into the building whether to go the bathroom or to see the nurse etc. All the oustide doors are locked so the kids have to walk up from the trailers into the front of the building.

I don't understand why the trailers do not have bathrooms, they did in Michigan where we moved from.

Yes the kids are 2 to a half locker this started last year, and with the size of the classes there is not much end in site.

They post earlier did not mention that starting last year lunch was made shorter to accomodate all the kids, each grade was split into 2 lunches so they have 6 lunch times at the middle school, followed by 6 "recess" times

And yes there are 40+ kids in classrooms same with the high school. I have 3 at the high school this year and many of their classes have 39 or more and one teacher. It was one teacher at the middle school level too.

So yes, go out and research the crowded MRMS. Why would you question if this was even true, it has been posted here in other threads LONG before redistricting was mentioned.
As a teacher (but not in Union), class sizes this large are not in the best interests of the students, esp. at the middle school level. I teach high school and have had classes of 42 and it was miserable. These were 9th-grade honors students, so good kids for the most part,. But it's hard to give anyone individual attention at those numbers, and a physically packed classroom means they are stuck in their seats the ENTIRE period as there is no room for group work or getting up and moving around to do fun, but educational activities. Fire or emergency drills, forget it! Took them forever to get out of the room. Also, there are never enough computers in a lab to accommodate that many kids so it becomes difficult to do the ancillary projects you can do with smaller classes.

Old 01-18-2014, 06:31 AM

985 posts, read 1,649,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somersmom View Post
As a teacher (but not in Union), class sizes this large are not in the best interests of the students, esp. at the middle school level. I teach high school and have had classes of 42 and it was miserable. These were 9th-grade honors students, so good kids for the most part,. But it's hard to give anyone individual attention at those numbers, and a physically packed classroom means they are stuck in their seats the ENTIRE period as there is no room for group work or getting up and moving around to do fun, but educational activities. Fire or emergency drills, forget it! Took them forever to get out of the room. Also, there are never enough computers in a lab to accommodate that many kids so it becomes difficult to do the ancillary projects you can do with smaller classes.
Yes, fortunately they all have a school assigned computer they take with them throughout the day
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or