U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2014, 06:52 PM

985 posts, read 1,650,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
... but the only thing people seem to be hyping on are innuendo and rumours.

this is what irks me the most, and the rumors keep spinning.

I guess i just do not understand how else the BOE is supposed to go about this.

Where we came from redistrcited when they built 2 new middle schools, for reference that was the same year MRHS was built. And yes, you eventually went from a breand new middle to a rather old high school. They even took an old middle and made it a second building to the high school, the football field lies in between, and yes in Michigan weather kids bundle up, rain, snow, sleet and hail and march across the camps along the football plus extra to get from building to building. They are not new building at all and yes were in some need of repair. I also grew up with a mom that worked in our local school system in upstate NY, and redistricting went much the same there. It seems to be a common phenomena when people go through redistricting.

It too came with grousing and complaining and once again throwing around words between the supposed "haves" and "have nots". In the end no one moved everyone tried it, and low and behold it was not as bad as their imagination had told them it would be.

Another thing I cannot seem to wrap my thoughts around is why so many think it is bad to move schools? So many new people move into the district here all the time. We were new 3 years ago this very weekend. My kids while maybe a little nervous on their very first day actually said 3 months after moving here we should have moved sooner. You are never the "new" person for long here. So why, if the kids move with a group is this the worst thing possible? Many have moved into each cluster before them and there will be new kids after them and they won't be coming with some kids they know, they are just by themselves.

If only the parents would spin this in the most positive light they can and give it a chance or try it, maybe just maybe it won't be "the end of the world"

Now I realize not all people/children are adaptable to the same degree and for some it will cause some anxiety but if the home front puts a positive look on what is to come, it may just be okay.

In this case the house is the same, the neighborhood is the same, the friends do not have to lose contact they really only live a few miles away. It would be no different than your best friend deciding as a freshman to move to a private high school, it does not mean that the firnedship is over. Yes, you may have to work a little more at it or around things since they are not with you during the day but really it just broadens the group of who they know.

I sit at volleyball games where parents from one local school come and talk to our parents becuase the two girls up against each other have been friends since pre-school dance class. Do they see wach other all the time no, do they talk and keep in contact when they can, yes they do. Just look at it as a bigger network. I am not really buying the "it's the only school they have ever known" scenario. And eventually when they try a new club, a new sport, go to college etc they will remember what it was like to meet new people. People that are/were happy to meet them as well.

I know this is NOT the reason everyone is angry and I know there are mulitple things going on, but the news and other media seems to keep harping on this specific subject.

Last edited by uswith6; 01-18-2014 at 07:07 PM..

Old 01-18-2014, 07:01 PM

451 posts, read 608,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catonc View Post
That is what I have heard but I have not seen that for sure. It wouldn't suprise me.

And on another "have all the costs been looked at note" - bussing..... Right now a lot of the busses pull double or triple duty. I know that our elementary school bus picks up at 6:50 now, drops at our elementary school at 7am and is back in our neighborhood at 7:15 to pick up the high schoolers. With a change to our schools being twice as far away, there is no way the busses can drop at 7am and be back here in time to get the high schoolers to school on time. Our middle school bus is also used for a high school run and is already pushing the pick up times regularly. How are they going to do that when they have to go further in each direction? And our neighborhood and our cluster are not the only ones where the time and distance to the new schools is going to more than double. So where are the rest of the busses are going to come from?
Wow, you guys are privileged.

6:25AM pickup for a 7:05 drop off. 2.3 miles.

Old 01-18-2014, 07:11 PM

386 posts, read 839,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineCJ View Post
Wow, you guys are privileged.

6:25AM pickup for a 7:05 drop off. 2.3 miles.
Actually we have 2 busses for the same elementary school in our neighborhood. The first one is at 6:30 and the second is at 6:50. FTR my kids are done with elementary school but rode the 6:30 one when they did so those time don't impact me personally, it has nothing to do with privileged and doesn't answer my question. But thanks.

Old 01-18-2014, 07:24 PM

2 buses = privileged

Old 01-18-2014, 07:27 PM

Quote:
2 buses = privileged
No 2 busses just means a lot of kids in the neighborhood. Not sure where the privileged comes in

Old 01-18-2014, 07:30 PM

631 posts, read 736,501 times
Quote:
And this may sound mean-spirited but I would really like to know how many of the BOE members have school children and how many of them will be redistricted.
I think a better question would be were any of their houses near a boundary line and didn't get moved? And was that boundary line manipulated around their house to avoid them moving? People are looking for favors and conspiracies that might not be there.

If they were in the middle of an area that didn't get moved, I wouldn't count that up as a special favor. They just fell within an area that couldn't be moved or didn't need to be moved.

Old 01-18-2014, 07:39 PM

189 posts, read 276,469 times
Just FYI....Richard Yercheck posted on one of the Facebook pages that his house had indeed been redistricted. In addition, if you go to the UCPS homepage there is a new letter to the UCC from Yercheck as well. Attached to the letter is a plea from the Sun Valley High School Principal for help with the leaky roof.

Old 01-18-2014, 07:43 PM

Quote:
No 2 busses just means a lot of kids in the neighborhood. Not sure where the privileged comes in
My neighborhood has 1 bus, 1 stop, 1 time. My ES student would give anything for an extra 10, 20, 30 minutes of sleep.

Well almost nearly anything after talking about this with her.

2 buses, especially the 6:50 to pickup is privileged.

The bus argument isn't going to work with me or my ES.

Old 01-18-2014, 07:50 PM

Quote:
My neighborhood has 1 bus, 1 stop, 1 time. My ES student would give anything for an extra 10, 20, 30 minutes of sleep.

Well almost nearly anything after talking about this with her.

2 buses, especially the 6:50 to pickup is privileged.

The bus argument isn't going to work with me or my ES.
It wasn't an argument over what time the bus came. That wasn't the point. The point is how to get the same number of busses to do the same job when they have to go twice as far in the same amount of time.

Old 01-18-2014, 07:59 PM

631 posts, read 736,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooLogical View Post
I think a better question would be were any of their houses near a boundary line and didn't get moved? And was that boundary line manipulated around their house to avoid them moving? People are looking for favors and conspiracies that might not be there.

If they were in the middle of an area that didn't get moved, I wouldn't count that up as a special favor. They just fell within an area that couldn't be moved or didn't need to be moved.

Well interestingly enough Marce Savage is on a boundary line and her neighborhood didn't move. It's in the middle of MRHS, WHS and CHS so could have gone either way.

To her credit, she's been very outspoken and not in favor of redistricting. So I'm not going to call any conspiracies here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or