U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2013, 10:18 AM

527 posts, read 637,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc0789 View Post
Where are you getting all these conspiracy theories??? Don worry about little things like facts. The elementary schools need very little relief, if any. The population for those is going down, so they have some room for the new residents expected, that isn't what is prompting the change, its the middle and highschools. The middle schools are the ones that are ALREADY over capacity, and anticipating more..... so much for your "zero, zilch, nada" theory. For those of you interested in facts, here are the projected enrollment numbers:

http://fpc.ucps.k12.nc.us/documents/...cast012913.pdf

This was done last year, before all the new construction in Cuthbertson. The 20 day report for this year isn't out yet, but it is expected to be well above the forecast for Cuthbertson, and those projections are increasing for the future years. Marvin and Cuthbertson middle are already over capacity. If you would like to see for yourself, just drive by and see the trailers with your own eyes to add to your "research". Or are they sitting there empty just to trick you?? Again, these projected numbers were before the new building construction was approved for the new communities Toll and Pulte are building in the Marvin district, and the new homes in Cuthbertson, so those numbers are a low estimate.

While the highschools might not be overpopulated right now, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize what will happen next year when an eight grade class of 471 replaces a Senior class of 329, without even adding for the new student population.
All of this "new construction" that you are referring to has been long planned. The neighborhoods being built out were included in previous studies. The rate at which the houses are going up has picked up but the lots have been sitting empty for the last 4-5 years.

Regrading trailers... I was specifically told in 2011 by a representative of UCPS that trailers were a part of the plan and would be the first option prior to redistricting.

As far as your link... do you work for the facilities department? I find it interesting that the report is buried down in the facilities area vs. the main UCPS site under population forecast (last report there is from 2010).

Old 10-18-2013, 10:36 AM

6 posts, read 10,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
Was interested in this and did a little googling on the UCPS site. So far found these:

https://webcp.ucps.k12.nc.us/forms_m...t%20063010.pdf

https://webcp.ucps.k12.nc.us/forms_m...ull_Report.pdf

In which I found on this page, if you look around, you will see other reports:

UCPS - Enrollment & Ethnicity Information
Yes, if these numbers were accurate we would not be discussing redistricting at all, however these reports have not been that accurate. For example, the school report shows that Kensington will have 718 students this year while the school is closer to 1000 students and adding 100+ each year. Cuthbertson Middle is over capacity as of this year and adding students much faster than anticipated. There is no conspiracy here, the Cuthbertson district is growing much faster than anticipated and they need a solution quickly. Since there is not enough money to build new schools at this time redistricting is the solution.

I live in this area and hope my kids stay in the Cuthbertson district as I live less than a mile from the schools. I just don't see what other solution the district has at this time. I am also a graduate of Parkwood high school. While not a brand new school kids certainly are getting a quality education in the parkwood district as well.

Old 10-18-2013, 11:00 AM

1,226 posts, read 2,054,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaxhawMike View Post
All of this "new construction" that you are referring to has been long planned. The neighborhoods being built out were included in previous studies. The rate at which the houses are going up has picked up but the lots have been sitting empty for the last 4-5 years.

Regrading trailers... I was specifically told in 2011 by a representative of UCPS that trailers were a part of the plan and would be the first option prior to redistricting.

As far as your link... do you work for the facilities department? I find it interesting that the report is buried down in the facilities area vs. the main UCPS site under population forecast (last report there is from 2010).
Do I work for the facilities department?? LMAO.... no, I know how to type "population forecast" into a google search box..... and I stayed at a Holiday Inn last night. My kid has had trailers following his grade since kindergarten, so I became well acquainted with enrollment numbers early when I wanted to know why it seemed nobody else's kids had trailers but ours.

This "new construction" I'm talking by Pulte and Toll Brothers has just very recently been started. Not even one home finished yet, roads still being paved. I'm sure the lots have been sitting empty for 4-5 years, actually millions of years. There are tons of land sitting empty in the Parkwood dirstrict, too, that has the potential for tons of population growth. What does that have to do with student population planning??? You can't count your chickens until their hatched, or even layed.

Yes, trailers are indeed the first option prior to redistricting. Trailers are currently being used, and have been. First option, check. Now they move on to other options. Here is the Board's policy:

Quote:
Quote:

CRITERIA FOR PUPIL ASSIGNMENTS

In the elementary, middle and senior high schools the
criteria for pupil assignment will be based on utilization of facilities,
travel time from home, efficient operation of buses, continuity of attendance
lines, continuity of neighborhoods and otherwise as required by law.

1. Utilization: Capacity
    shall be based on the number of standard teaching spaces. Schools may operate
    above capacity through the use of mobile classroom units and/or special purpose
    classrooms.
  2. Stability: Stability of
    attendance areas is understood to mean that attendance areas should be altered
    only in accordance with standards adopted by the Board and made known to the
    community. These standards are:
    1. Redistricting (or reassignment en mass) more often than
      every three years should be avoided if possible. The Board may find
      redistricting or reassignment to be made necessary more frequently in order to
      fully utilize staff and facilities and to avoid overcrowding or under use of
      available educational facilities and curriculum.
    2. Prior to school opening in the fall, with the approval of
      the Board and proper public notice, the Superintendent may adjust school
      attendance lines. When adjustments are necessary, an attempt will be made to
      preserve small neighborhood groups and no geographic areas will be moved more
      than once between redistricting.
    3. Where residential developments cross over established
      attendance lines, developers, property owners, or residents may petition for
      changes in school assignment.
  3. Travel Time: Within the
    constraints of previously defined criteria, the school attendance areas should
    be drawn to minimize total travel time and distance.
  4. Busing: Within the
    constraints of previously defined criteria, an effort will be made to assign
    students to the closest school.
  5. Continuity: Where
    possible, attendance lines should be contiguous

Old 10-18-2013, 11:25 AM

cc0789, Thank you for all of the information. It certainly helps us all understand the situation... however, I can tell you that the information you are providing does not jive with what UCPS is telling people both on and off the record.

I did have to LOL at this comment though:

Quote:
There are tons of land sitting empty in the Parkwood dirstrict, too, that has the potential for tons of population growth.
I assure you going forward, without redistricting there will never be a population problem in the Parkwood disctrict.

Old 10-18-2013, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaxhawMike View Post
cc0789, Thank you for all of the information. It certainly helps us all understand the situation... however, I can tell you that the information you are providing does not jive with what UCPS is telling people both on and off the record.
Ok.... you can choose to believe what people say about some conspiracy theory and still believe what they say about Marvin and Cuthbertson middle not being overcrowded.

I will choose to believe population numbers, capacity limits, building permits, statistics, school board minutes, and the fact that our kids have some classes in trailers, some classes with over 45 kids crammed in one room with 2 teachers because there isn't enough rooms, band in conducted in a utility room where the noise becomes deafening, and have to have lunch in 15 minutes starting around 10:45 in SIX different lunch period because the school is not designed to hold that many kids in the cafeteria .

To each their own, I guess....

Old 10-18-2013, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Ok.... you can choose to believe what people say about some conspiracy theory and still believe what they say about Marvin and Cuthbertson middle not being overcrowded.

You aren't good with compliments are you? I appreciate what you are saying but I'll stand by my money and test scores statement as it came from a reliable person, that's the last I'll comment on it.

Old 10-18-2013, 04:17 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,147,016 times
To be honest, you both are probably correct. While there is down stream overcrowding at the elementary level at NTES and Rea View, it seems that capacity isn't as much of a problem at Cuthbertson as it is at Marvin ES, MS and HS. Making me think that the push is to move some students out of Marvin and into Cuthbertson and some of the outlying Cuthbertson students out to Parkwood. Also I've seen something recently about the Fed Ed Dept wanting schools to avoid mobile classrooms if at all possible (Parent Teacher mag I think). I think the underlying reasons here are to balance the enrollment between the three clusters (Cuthbertson, Marvin and Parkwood), both current and future and to up the scores and grad rates at Parkwood. I agree with the OP that there isn't a lot wrong with PHS (although I do know the athletic facilities are the pits) education wise, but there are a lot of issues at Parkwood Middle. I've spent some time over there. It's a bit scary.

Old 10-18-2013, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlat View Post
To be honest, you both are probably correct. While there is down stream overcrowding at the elementary level at NTES and Rea View, it seems that capacity isn't as much of a problem at Cuthbertson as it is at Marvin ES, MS and HS. Making me think that the push is to move some students out of Marvin and into Cuthbertson and some of the outlying Cuthbertson students out to Parkwood.
where are you getting your facts?? Cuthbertson overcrowding is projected to be worse than Marvins. There is no overcrowding issue at Marvin elementary.... In fact, this year's kindergarten was the smallest EVER. And that's with opening up the immersion program to Rea View and Sandy ridge. There is plenty of room, with entire classrooms being dedicated to reading enrichment and such. It is the middle school, and soon to be the high school that is the problem. It's the mouse passing through the snake issue. The elementary has already done their digestion. I think Marvin is fine the way it is. ...I don't see any changes being made there at all. Although there is overcrowding, it is a temporary issue that is being dealt with with their first line of defense. ....trailers. While not an ideal situation, it's just reality for the next few years at the middle school, and then four more years at the highschool. It would make no sense for them to change boundary lines to accommodate 3 or four abnormally large classes, when the current numbers aren't sustainable.
My point in talking about the overcrowding was in response to some posters comments about there being plenty of room at Marvin to put Cuthbertson kids. ... There just isn't.

Old 10-19-2013, 07:59 AM

1 posts, read 1,897 times
I was talking to one of the county official yesterday at the store. He said there's no overcrowding anywhere in the UCPS system. I asked him why there were so many trailers. He said there weren't any trailers, that was all a lie told by the school board to gain sympathy and get money.
I guess if he says it enough times, it'll become true...

Old 10-19-2013, 01:44 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,147,016 times
Quote:
where are you getting your facts?? Cuthbertson overcrowding is projected to be worse than Marvins. There is no overcrowding issue at Marvin elementary.... In fact, this year's kindergarten was the smallest EVER. And that's with opening up the immersion program to Rea View and Sandy ridge. There is plenty of room, with entire classrooms being dedicated to reading enrichment and such. It is the middle school, and soon to be the high school that is the problem. It's the mouse passing through the snake issue. The elementary has already done their digestion. I think Marvin is fine the way it is. ...I don't see any changes being made there at all. Although there is overcrowding, it is a temporary issue that is being dealt with with their first line of defense. ....trailers. While not an ideal situation, it's just reality for the next few years at the middle school, and then four more years at the highschool. It would make no sense for them to change boundary lines to accommodate 3 or four abnormally large classes, when the current numbers aren't sustainable.
My point in talking about the overcrowding was in response to some posters comments about there being plenty of room at Marvin to put Cuthbertson kids. ... There just isn't.
I'm trying to agree with you. There is overcrowding at Kennsington and at Marvin MS (that's a cluster ok?) Rea is projected to stay at capacity and go over for the next 4 school years. Trailers are being de-empashised to comply with fed ed mandates. I full realize that Marvin schools are at or over capacity. I am in that area as well as the Cuthbertson schools quite often. I also don't believe that overcrowding is the only reason for a boundary shift which is what the OP is talking about.

I'm not much for debating this and I'm not really trying to sell you anything about the redistricting that will happen. If you read the thread and my other posts, you simply have to do what I have done to get the information. It isn't posted on the internet so I don't have a link to post nor am I willing to quote a source. Sometime the info just isn't ready for prime time. Just do some real investigative homework before you start being so dismissive okay?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or