U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2014, 07:20 AM

133 posts, read 287,802 times

Advertisements

I have read this thread as it has grown since last week. I attended the Facilities Committee meeting at the Walter Bickett Education Center when this redistricting plan was proposed. More alternatives to relieve the overcrowding need to be presented in more detail so that the discussions/debate can include all options. Right now as it stands, I feel redistricting is the only option but is the only option that has been presented to the public.

I think the BOE will not request building more schools right now. Why? because the current BOCC board and BOE board have a rocky, difficult, etc., relationship especially with the pending lawsuit from last years budget. How can the BOE request new money for schools from the BOCC when (1) there are spaces at other schools that have yet to be utilized and (2) they have NOT settled the lawsuit yet. The BOCC are holding some of the roof repair money as a carrot to settle the lawsuit.

From my involvement in my child's PTO (along with every PTO in the county) I was there at BOCC meetings when we were fighting for teacher assistants when Dean Arp was chair of the BOE. There was some animosity between the two boards even then. From what I could observe, there was some level of distrust between the boards even then BUT they were able to get to the table and avoid the courtroom in order to work out their differences.

So I encourage anyone to attend tonight's BOCC meeting and speak at public comment if you're so inclined. These two boards need to get past this lawsuit mess and start working together for a long term solution. And do what is better for all of the students of Union County which includes the schools who have trash cans out on rainy days to the overcrowded ones.

Old 01-21-2014, 07:21 AM

631 posts, read 735,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagomichauds View Post
Wesley Chapel is voting on a resolution opposing the redistricting of the schools tonight 7 PM.

Village of Wesley Chapel, NC*

Not sure what effect this will have, if any, or any other areas in Union County affected.
Aside from making the mayor and council members look good, it doesn't do or guarantee anything. They could actually be in favor of the redistricting and still pass a resolution against it because it is meaningless.

Old 01-21-2014, 07:25 AM

133 posts, read 287,802 times
What is the solution for the overcapacity schools? Whatever it is, I feel will only be a short term fix. So what then?

I think that all of the boards- BOCC, BOE, and all of the municipalities need to come together and at least get on the same page specifically when it comes to growth. I understand that they are independent and do not require permission to govern but need to recognize and acknowledge the decisions that the towns make have an effect and indirectly impact their neighboring towns/jurisdictions and infrastructure.

Old 01-21-2014, 07:33 AM

5,782 posts, read 8,406,929 times
Quote:
Wesley Chapel is voting on a resolution opposing the redistricting of the schools tonight 7 PM.

Not sure what effect this will have, if any, or any other areas in Union County affected.
This is nothing more than Wesley Chapel's elected officials gaining favor with their constituents. When the redistricting happens they can say they did all they could...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom of 3 girls View Post

So I encourage anyone to attend tonight's BOCC meeting and speak at public comment if you're so inclined. These two boards need to get past this lawsuit mess and start working together for a long term solution. And do what is better for all of the students of Union County which includes the schools who have trash cans out on rainy days to the overcrowded ones.
I was wondering this myself - excellent point... why is everyone looking to beat up the BOE and give the BOC a pass?

Old 01-21-2014, 07:37 AM

98 posts, read 145,421 times
Quote:

Yeah can't wait to hear that proposal....I'm sure Millbridge will be mentioned again as the outcast. Seems that whole area wants that. Maybe they will mention the petition at the school as well.

Old 01-21-2014, 07:38 AM

451 posts, read 608,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooLogical View Post
Aside from making the mayor and council members look good, it doesn't do or guarantee anything. They could actually be in favor of the redistricting and still pass a resolution against it because it is meaningless.
What does Waxhaw say? A lot of conflicted interests there.

What does Indian Trail say? More conflicted interests.

Marvin may not say it's in support of redistricting but it is also not in support of the current cap or overcrowding situation at Sandy Ridge ES or MRMS. And they see the cap coming at MRHS.

--------------------------------------------------
Just look at the letter from Marvin's Mayor.

Commissioners.
As elected officials of the Village, we are limited on what we can do within the County school system.

However, we (current and past council) have continually expressed our concerns about the explosive
growth in our area. Our part in controlling growth is through our ordinances which limit the density of
our community to less than one housing unit per acre. We will continue to enforce these ordinances that
limit the number of homes that can be built which, in turn affects how many students attend our schools.

Currently there is no reporting mechanism on growth. One of our main concerns is with the limited
amount of information the County and School Administration is receiving to accurately project the
number of homes being built and the number of students in each respective town. It is our belief that
through an accurate reporting mechanism the County will have a better understanding of “true growth”,
and be in a better position to fund appropriate areas.

The Marvin Village Council will continue to work diligently to attempt to keep the Marvin cluster
together and propose that the Board of Education seek alternatives where possible. We will do what we
can to ensure our residents’ concerns are addressed and to protect our community. We encourage you to
contact the members of the Union County Board of Education with your thoughts and suggestions to
help remedy this situation. The Board of Education website is located at Union County Public Schools - Preparing All Students to Succeed.

Respectfully,
Joe Pollino, Mayor

Last edited by SunshineCJ; 01-21-2014 at 07:53 AM..

Old 01-21-2014, 08:00 AM

631 posts, read 735,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
This is nothing more than Wesley Chapel's elected officials gaining favor with their constituents. When the redistricting happens they can say they did all they could...

I was wondering this myself - excellent point... why is everyone looking to beat up the BOE and give the BOC a pass?
Maybe there is a conspiracy going on. Perhaps the BOE intentionally agitated the masses to get them to vote out the BOCC in the spring Primary? if that's the case kudos to them!

Old 01-21-2014, 08:22 AM

1,226 posts, read 2,048,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineCJ View Post

Marvin may not say it's in support of redistricting but it is also not in support of the current cap or overcrowding situation at Sandy Ridge ES or MRMS. And they see the cap coming at MRHS.

--------------------------------------------------
Just look at the letter from Marvin's Mayor.

Commissioners.
As elected officials of the Village, we are limited on what we can do within the County school system.

However, we (current and past council) have continually expressed our concerns about the explosive
growth in our area. Our part in controlling growth is through our ordinances which limit the density of
our community to less than one housing unit per acre. We will continue to enforce these ordinances that
limit the number of homes that can be built which, in turn affects how many students attend our schools.

Currently there is no reporting mechanism on growth. One of our main concerns is with the limited
amount of information the County and School Administration is receiving to accurately project the
number of homes being built and the number of students in each respective town. It is our belief that
through an accurate reporting mechanism the County will have a better understanding of “true growth”,
and be in a better position to fund appropriate areas.

The Marvin Village Council will continue to work diligently to attempt to keep the Marvin cluster
together and propose that the Board of Education seek alternatives where possible. We will do what we
can to ensure our residents’ concerns are addressed and to protect our community. We encourage you to
contact the members of the Union County Board of Education with your thoughts and suggestions to
help remedy this situation. The Board of Education website is located at Union County Public Schools - Preparing All Students to Succeed.

Respectfully,
Joe Pollino, Mayor
What does this even mean?? Can someone translate? Keeping the cluster together??...does that mean he wants to keep packing then in like sardines?

Old 01-21-2014, 08:26 AM

985 posts, read 1,649,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc0789 View Post
What does this even mean?? Can someone translate? Keeping the cluster together??...does that mean he wants to keep packing then in like sardines?
I read it the same way as you did, pack 'em in

Old 01-21-2014, 08:33 AM

71 posts, read 71,677 times
I think he means, leave our expensive Marvin neighborhoods alone, and draw the lines somewhere else. I doubt he wants to keep the cluster together as much as the Village of Marvin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or