Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2014, 07:12 PM

1,226 posts, read 2,372,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by waxhawmom75 View Post
So many transfers from Weddington to Sun Valley. So many transfers from Cuthbertson to Sun Valley and Parkwood. Wow, you're not kidding. I had no idea it was going to entail SO much.
How about the transfers from Weddington to Monroe???? That is a hard pill to swallow.

Weddington lost Wesley Chapel entirely.

Wow, just wow.

Old 01-14-2014, 07:40 PM

451 posts, read 711,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd Jedd View Post
And come down off your moral high horse. It has nothing to do with money as you imply. It's all about test scores. Maybe if the grades of Sun Valley and Parkwood had better test scores, we wouldn't mind as much. But they don't and test scores and graduation rates are the only way to compare schools straight up. Your attitude is the one that needs adjusting. You seem to have a chip on your shoulder about people who make more money than you and you're casting your ill conceived perceptions on anyone who suggests a different opinion on the matter other than yours. "We're snobs because we don't want to associate with the people of lower income on the other side of the county". Nice. It's all about the grades hot shot. They don't lie.
It's not about the "grades and graduation rates" and all of you are smart enough to know it but don't want to say it.

Grades and graduation rates are a factor of what?

Facilities? Cuthbertson and Weddington schools are newer and nicer than Parkwood/Sun Valley therefore have higher grades.

Intelligence? Cuthbertson and Weddington kids are smarter than Parkwood/Sun Valley kids.

Teachers? Cuthbertson and Weddington have better teachers than Parkwood/Sun Valley.

Is this really the argument people want to make for not redistricting because the district can fix the facility issue and the teacher issue just by busing the Weddington/Cuthbertson kids to Sun Valley/Parkwood and vice versa or do we want to mention the unmentionable?

Old 01-14-2014, 07:45 PM

631 posts, read 891,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 28173 View Post
WC is closest to Wedington schools where it used to belong...
Agreed and good call! I was just using the example someone else posed. Glad they are back in Weddington.

Old 01-14-2014, 07:56 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,425,706 times
Stunned and disappointed. And for a general pessimist like me that says a lot. I really thought that they would have come up with a more evenhanded and fair plan. Feel really bad for the kids, especially doing this right at finals time.

Old 01-14-2014, 08:24 PM

527 posts, read 743,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlat View Post
Stunned and disappointed. And for a general pessimist like me that says a lot. I really thought that they would have come up with a more evenhanded and fair plan. Feel really bad for the kids, especially doing this right at finals time.
Stunned and disappointed is a great way to describe how a lot of us are feeling tonight. After studying the maps and affected neighborhoods for a while I have to say that even if I was on the committee and felt like we needed some shifts, I would be 100% embarrassed to present what they proposed tonight. It's a complete train wreck. I'd be shocked if the BOE approved it as is... but then again I'm shocked they even came up with such a plan.

Old 01-14-2014, 08:40 PM

48 posts, read 60,695 times
When is the meeting that allows public questions or input?

Old 01-14-2014, 08:46 PM

18 posts, read 32,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaxhawMike View Post
Stunned and disappointed is a great way to describe how a lot of us are feeling tonight. After studying the maps and affected neighborhoods for a while I have to say that even if I was on the committee and felt like we needed some shifts, I would be 100% embarrassed to present what they proposed tonight. It's a complete train wreck. I'd be shocked if the BOE approved it as is... but then again I'm shocked they even came up with such a plan.
n

Don't be too shocked if it is approved, the school doors open again in 8 months and bus routes are planned over the summer, leaving little time for changes. The board will roll it right through with little or no changes.

Old 01-14-2014, 09:18 PM

103 posts, read 162,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northunion View Post
The board will roll it right through with little or no changes.
And those that vote for it with little or no changes will suffer the consequences on their re-election day. Thankful for social media that informs, educates and holds everyone accountable.

Old 01-14-2014, 09:33 PM

93 posts, read 184,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaxhawMike View Post
I agree with your sentiment, the boundary lines are ridiculous.These maps look like political gerrymandering.

Before I am berated for being bitter, my district went from one highly rated cluster to another. I'm not concerned with the impact on my family. In fact, I believe it improved the desirability of our location. However, I am embarrassed for the BOE who are displacing so many families with such a tactless plan.

Old 01-14-2014, 10:11 PM

451 posts, read 711,840 times
I was surprised by the hard push east thru Weddington and across perceived political/social boundaries (Weddington Chase in Marvin and Wesley Chapel as a whole) which leads me to think that it will stick. Looks like they went basically subdivision by subdivision starting with Sandy Ridge ES and the dominoes fell from there.

These guys did after all win a $91M judgement against the the county. You may think they are stupid but they know some pretty good lawyers and I think they were consulted as part of this process.

Those who think that they can "vote out" those responsible with Facebook/Twitter/etc. don't understand the make up of the BOE (what district they are from and when they are up). There are 9 members (6 districts and 3 at-large).

District 1 = John Crowder (Monroe+74 east) = Term Expires November 2016
District 2 = Kevin Stewart (Southern UC, Waxhaw to the east) = Term Expires November 2016
District 3 = Richard Yercheck (Stallings/Monroe) = Term Expires November 2014
District 4 = Rick Pigg (North Eastern UC) = Term Expires November 2014
District 5 = John Collins (Weddington) = Term Expires November 2016
District 6 = Marce Savage (Marvin) = Term Expires November 2014
At-Large = Michael Guzman, Term Expires November 2016
At-Large = Christina Helms, Term Expires November 2016
At-Large = Sherry Hodges, Term Expires November 2014

4 up for re-election in 2014 (District 3=Stallings/Monroe, District 4=Eastern UC, District 6=Marvin, At-Large=1). Districts 3, 4, and probably even 6 are safe with the plan as is. So that leaves a District 2, District 5 and an At-large to try influence. Maybe District 2, but gasp, Kevin Stewart actually graduated from Forest Hills HS and lives in Wingate. John Collins, District 5=Weddington, is 2016 is actually being responsible is leading the plan and therefore will be hated, but he is safe because he is 2016. Right now I see a 5 (1,3,4,5,At-large) - 4 (2,6,At-large,At-large) vote with redistrict passing. Marce Savage in District 6 could go either way but Marvin is safe so it really doesn't matter.

The east side of the county is more than just something you drive thru on the way to the beach.

Settlement with UC and Bond Issue with tax increase in fall 2014 for school repairs and new clusters.

Move on and make the best of it for yourselves and most importantly for your kids.

Last edited by SunshineCJ; 01-14-2014 at 10:29 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte