Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2014, 09:40 PM

3,519 posts, read 2,821,735 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaxhawMike View Post
Do you know much about the makeup of Cuthbertson? When CMS and CHS were built, kids from Marvin, Weddington, and Parkwood were made to come together. Cuthbertson is the most socioeconomic diverse school in the county.

Parents were told that because it was a new school without the history and support of other schools in the area that we needed to work extra hard, buy-in, and go above and beyond to form a sense of community and belonging for all of the different students coming together. We didn't just show up and enroll kids... we BUILT those schools and the spirit that comes with them.

Parents and students sacrificed to fulfill the vision of the Cuthbertson cluster. After all of that investment, time, money and sacrifice we are being patted on the head and told to run along. I'm sorry but that just doesn't sit well. Win or lose, we will fight just as hard to keep the cluster together as we did to build it in the first place.
This is true. Plenty of the folks at Newtown donated time and money to make that school what it is today - which included fund raisers for playground equipment, technology and even the electronic marquee in front of the school - were all done with donations. But that's OK, we'll be told that we did it for the good of the county school system, not just for our little snowflakes.

Old 01-20-2014, 09:50 PM

3,519 posts, read 2,821,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
Trailers will not work - they are a band-aid by pure definition, not cost efficient, and overcrowded schools are what we need to avoid. In the end, whether you realize it or not you're presenting a circular argument.

These are continued emotional arguments based on anecdotal "data"... You can't expect to run a county based on those factors. You are best served to find actual data to support your argument.

You're connecting 2 disparate discussion points and that's where the "conspiracy" lies... The BOE is tasked with improving education for the county. Scores are the only universal judge of that progress. So basically it's their job to improve scores at the schools. Now taking that and turning it into a "money" motive is a bit disingenuous.

Sure, a "few schools" were overcrowded... but that in reality translated into 3 clusters being overcrowded. Did you look at the forecasts pre-redistrict? The numbers required something drastic be done.

Seriously - keep contributing to this thread please. Voice of reason.
This is improving scores with slight of hand, a little hokus pokus. Nothing more, since there is no real net improvement. The kids at the lower performing schools didn't suddenly get better test scores. They got spread around as did as some of the higher performing kids to average things out. To say the BOE is working to improve test scores by doing this redistricting is a bit disingenuous.

Old 01-20-2014, 09:51 PM

137 posts, read 191,151 times
Curious as to whether any actual alternative has emerged yet from the anti-redistricting side? I've seen lots of grumbling about it, not a single realistic alternative yet. That's not to say there isn't one, just not one I've seen.

If you're anti-redistricting, unless you believe no overcrowding problem exists at all, do you have a better alternative? Note: The most popular one I've seen of "slowing down the process" or "wait until next year" is not an actual solution. Delaying a fix is not a fix. Three schools are capped already with more on the way.

Old 01-20-2014, 09:58 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,028,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaxhawMike View Post
Pay attention. The tides are already turning.
They're turning to which option?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd Jedd View Post
This is improving scores with slight of hand, a little hokus pokus. Nothing more, since there is no real net improvement. The kids at the lower performing schools didn't suddenly get better test scores. They got spread around as did as some of the higher performing kids to average things out. To say the BOE is working to improve test scores by doing this redistricting is a bit disingenuous.
I was only condoning in the context of being a side effect... not as a primary purpose.

The whole thing is a double negative. They can't not redistrict at this point.

Old 01-20-2014, 10:05 PM

137 posts, read 191,151 times
Has anyone done a whip count to see if you even have a shot of getting redistricting shot down?

My best guess:

Yes: Collins, Crowder, Pigg
No: Savage, Stewart

Those 5 are either on the record or have a long track record of voting for redistricting in Crowder's case. I'm not sure if Yercheck has said anything publicly yet, but chairs and vicechairs are usually on the same side, no? That would put him in the no camp leaving the three at-large members (Guzman, Helms, Hodges) as the swing votes. Guzman and Hodges are from Waxhaw, while Helms is from Monroe. I believe all three are Republicans.

Old 01-21-2014, 04:45 AM

397 posts, read 664,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmarti78 View Post
Has anyone done a whip count to see if you even have a shot of getting redistricting shot down?

My best guess:

Those 5 are either on the record or have a long track record of voting for redistricting in Crowder's case. I'm not sure if Yercheck has said anything publicly yet, but chairs and vicechairs are usually on the same side, no? That would put him in the no camp leaving the three at-large members (Guzman, Helms, Hodges) as the swing votes. Guzman and Hodges are from Waxhaw, while Helms is from Monroe. I believe all three are Republicans.
I've seen comments from Guzman that seem to lean towards yes.

Old 01-21-2014, 05:25 AM

396 posts, read 972,458 times
Quote:

My best guess:

I've seen comments from Yercheck that both say if anyone has any other solutions we would love to hear it but haven't seen anything viable yet and as of yesterday he is telling the "politicians" to be patient because they are exploring all other options first. So not sure which way he will go but he is playing both sides in the media right now.

Old 01-21-2014, 06:06 AM

985 posts, read 1,901,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GONYMETS View Post
They should at least have security during school hrs. That's something I didn't know. They should have security at all elementary school because of Sandy Hook. They have it in all Middle and High schools. Good point by your girl.
there is no security in the trailers at MRMS they leave the trailers to enter the building they come up through the front door but there is no fence etc.

Old 01-21-2014, 06:08 AM

985 posts, read 1,901,943 times
Quote:
Curious as to whether any actual alternative has emerged yet from the anti-redistricting side? I've seen lots of grumbling about it, not a single realistic alternative yet. That's not to say there isn't one, just not one I've seen.

If you're anti-redistricting, unless you believe no overcrowding problem exists at all, do you have a better alternative? Note: The most popular one I've seen of "slowing down the process" or "wait until next year" is not an actual solution. Delaying a fix is not a fix. Three schools are capped already with more on the way.
I agree many band-aid fixes as alternatives

Old 01-21-2014, 07:17 AM

1,513 posts, read 3,361,027 times
Wesley Chapel is voting on a resolution opposing the redistricting of the schools tonight 7 PM.

Village of Wesley Chapel, NC*

Not sure what effect this will have, if any, or any other areas in Union County affected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte