Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2014, 07:02 PM

527 posts, read 744,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
Then why is student teacher ratio such a well respected statistic with regard to schools?
Good question. If you figure that out let me know, but in union county there is no correlation and that fact can't be debated.

I still haven't had someone tell me why there are empty seats at Parkwood High School yet they have students in unheated trailers... please explain cc, waxhawmom, or sunshine

Old 01-22-2014, 07:06 PM

451 posts, read 712,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by First and Ten View Post
The "Sure" would have sufficed for your answer. I didn't need the run down on your resume how you think you are "Parent of the Year"….Its good to know that you hold yourself in such high regard. I guess you feel at least one person should
So First, don't need to run down any resumes thanks to FB, what do you think the correlation is between test scores and home values is in your expert opinion?

Old 01-22-2014, 07:10 PM

527 posts, read 744,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooLogical View Post
If we're going to solve this by blaming the growth, then let's leave the cap, but get to the root cause. Anyone that bought or built a house to attend the Cuthbertson cluster since it was opened (2009) created the over crowding. That school was build for the people that were there in 2009 and not for others that might move in.
Sorry, but that's not even close to accurate. They couldn't even fill the CMS and CHS in 2009.

I won't go back through the history, but CMS and CHS parents were basically put on a guilt trip to invest in the schools... physically, emotionally, and financially. Because these were new schools we had to go above and beyond to build the stability and spirit that exists today. If you weren't a part of it you'll never understand it... so maybe I should stop trying to explain it.

Old 01-22-2014, 07:20 PM

141 posts, read 198,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineCJ View Post
So First, don't need to run down any resumes thanks to FB, what do you think the correlation is between test scores and home values is in your expert opinion?
You seem to love FB….Please point out to me where i claimed to be an "expert" in any of my posts. I don't believe i have, nor would i. I would not claim to be an expert in the field of education. I believe that home values are more closely tied to school ratings. Following that avenue of logic, Higher rated schools tend to have better test scores. I am not a realtor, but i believe its a safe assumption that a house in a school district of say a "10" will tend to appraise higher than the same exact house in a school district of say a "5", all other things being equal. Now i am sure you can find a few examples of where that may not be the case, but i am sure we can consider those outliers

Old 01-22-2014, 07:27 PM

98 posts, read 165,120 times
Just curious to who decides when and where to build new schools? And where the money comes from? I'm trying to figure out what will happen and when. Just say the original plan goes as planned. I think 34 out of 36 communities are going to Parkwood in the Waxhaw area. So that school will be at a watch next year. I recently learned that their are 4000 permits for houses in the Waxhaw area. Not that it would happen but just suppose it does and they build them next year. Where will all those kids go saying there was 1 child per household? Would they redistrict again so soon or build a school ? Living in NY we didn't have this problem probably because most of Long Island is built. Very little land left. But here in the Carolina's there is plenty of land so it seems like if the area calls for it a developer sees a piece of property, buys it and before you know it another 400 homes. But nobody seems to care enough to say no. Maybe they should have the same approach on neighborhoods as they do with schools. They won't build a new one as long as there is room in some. So maybe they shouldn't allow a new community to open or even an existing one to expand until the original one is full. And to be fair I say the same thing about my community, if there is no road connecting the front to the back then they should fill up the front and work their way back.

Old 01-22-2014, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GONYMETS View Post
Just curious to who decides when and where to build new schools? And where the money comes from? I'm trying to figure out what will happen and when. Just say the original plan goes as planned. I think 34 out of 36 communities are going to Parkwood in the Waxhaw area. So that school will be at a watch next year. I recently learned that their are 4000 permits for houses in the Waxhaw area. Not that it would happen but just suppose it does and they build them next year. Where will all those kids go saying there was 1 child per household? Would they redistrict again so soon or build a school ? Living in NY we didn't have this problem probably because most of Long Island is built. Very little land left. But here in the Carolina's there is plenty of land so it seems like if the area calls for it a developer sees a piece of property, buys it and before you know it another 400 homes. But nobody seems to care enough to say no. Maybe they should have the same approach on neighborhoods as they do with schools. They won't build a new one as long as there is room in some. So maybe they shouldn't allow a new community to open or even an existing one to expand until the original one is full. And to be fair I say the same thing about my community, if there is no road connecting the front to the back then they should fill up the front and work their way back.
All good points….problem is that town councils keep handing out building permits. Builders build and sell houses and are not required to pay for infrastructure and towns cannot force them to. Here is the thing that is ironic. there are a lot of people seemingly wanting to blame the developer, yet many of these people are probably living in a house that one of these builders supplied.

Old 01-22-2014, 07:36 PM

397 posts, read 664,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GONYMETS View Post
When they run out of room I don't see how they can't build new schools. We will wind up paying for them, yes? But its coming. And then yes, more shuffling.

Old 01-22-2014, 07:45 PM

137 posts, read 191,159 times
Can someone answer why they put so much stock into Greatschools ratings? If Parkwood is a 5 and Cuthbertson is a 9, do you think that means Parkwood has lesser teachers? Lesser administration? Lesser students? I'm a Parkwood graduate and I can assure you that you get the education you put the effort towards. If there are some students or parents at Parkwood less concerned about straight As than at Cuthbertson, how does that affect any student that IS as concerned? If you're a Cuthbertson parent sending your kid to Parkwood, if that kid wants to get straight As and a high SAT/ACT, they will have the exact opportunity to do so at Parkwood than they do at Cuthbertson. I bet the same is true for Weddington folks going to Sun Valley. If you're against redistricting, I completely understand your opinion if it's simply coming from wanting to keep your kids' friends together. If it's because you believe they'll receive an inferior education from Parkwood or Sun Valley, you're completely ignorant. Don't let a national site that knows absolutely nothing about the actual schools tell you otherwise.

Old 01-22-2014, 07:48 PM

397 posts, read 664,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by First and Ten View Post
The "Sure" would have sufficed for your answer. I didn't need the run down on your resume how you think you are "Parent of the Year"….Its good to know that you hold yourself in such high regard. I guess you feel at least one person should
Nah, nothing that grand. But a "sure" wouldnt have been sufficient to squash the loaded question at hand. Have a good night

Old 01-22-2014, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmarti78 View Post
Can someone answer why they put so much stock into Greatschools ratings? If Parkwood is a 5 and Cuthbertson is a 9, do you think that means Parkwood has lesser teachers? Lesser administration? Lesser students? I'm a Parkwood graduate and I can assure you that you get the education you put the effort towards. If there are some students or parents at Parkwood less concerned about straight As than at Cuthbertson, how does that affect any student that IS as concerned? If you're a Cuthbertson parent sending your kid to Parkwood, if that kid wants to get straight As and a high SAT/ACT, they will have the exact opportunity to do so at Parkwood than they do at Cuthbertson. I bet the same is true for Weddington folks going to Sun Valley. If you're against redistricting, I completely understand your opinion if it's simply coming from wanting to keep your kids' friends together. If it's because you believe they'll receive an inferior education from Parkwood or Sun Valley, you're completely ignorant. Don't let a national site that knows absolutely nothing about the actual schools tell you otherwise.
rmarti78….let me preface this by saying i did not attend Parkwood nor have my kids, yet i have had dealings with Parkwood students and parents. They are friends of mine and some of the nicest people i know. Now let me throw this fact out to you. I have many friends that are realtors. ALL of them have told me based on where i live, due to the redistricting, I have lost about $60,000 on my home value. So apparently there is some credence in where you go to school affects the price of your home. that is strictly financial but that does have a big impact on peoples lives
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte