Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2014, 07:16 PM

6,321 posts, read 10,248,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlat View Post
Actually to take that metric a bit further:

Participation Rate
Parkwood 62% -> Avg. Score 1023
Cuthbertson 84% -> Avg. Score 1041

Granted the scores are similar, but the number actually taking the test as a larger delta. Not every student takes the test.
I had posted the closeness of the SAT scores earlier. I think SAT scores are a pretty good way to compare and of those taking the test, 18 points really isn't much difference. But your comment just goes back to the argument that there is a higher percentage of kids at Cuthbertson than Parkwood that come from a family environment that has the ability to place more emphasis on academics; that doesn't mean the teachers are any better (in fact I also posted earlier that Parkwood actually had some favorable teacher stats compared to Cuthbertson) or that you can't get just as good of any education at Parkwood as you can at Cuthbertson.

Old 01-23-2014, 07:43 PM

625 posts, read 479,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooLogical View Post
I went and read more about it and here are some other highlights:
  • There are petitions because people don't want to move to another district
  • The caps have been in place for 3 years (the item above just references the 13-14 year). There's even a short city-data thread about it.
  • They are looking at expansions at the HS and MS too if I read correctly.
  • "Superintendent Chuck Epps said that recent discussions with Fort Mill, Tega Cay and York County planners show an estimated 10,000 new homes coming to 32 developments in the next few years, and he’s trying to stay ahead of the curve." Quote from Oct 2013 YIKES!
  • “People have invested their life savings into buying into the neighborhood because of the schools. They pay the high taxes,” wrote one person who signed an online petition contesting the changes. “How is it appropriate to come along and change the school assignments?” Hmmmm... this sounds vaguely familiar...
The redistricting happened, there was some stink about some of the neighborhoods going to certain schools, they shifted some lines and now everyone is pretty much happy. Most kids will remain within their neighborhood school with the outer neighborhoods moving to a different school or one of the new schools and not a large change in commute time.

The only complaint was that one school would have a much higher number of kids on "free or reduced price lunch" which is an indicator or poverty level and sadly lack of parental involvement.

The thing with Fort Mill is that its a town, not a county. So, redistricting doesn't happen at a county level (York) and kids don't need to be shifted to Rock Hill or York, which have lower rated schools and much greater travel distances in the opposite direction of most of the parents' commutes.

Living in Fort Mill, we pay higher property taxes than the rest of the county. Also, the builders are required to pay an impact fee to the town ($2500) for every new house built that goes into school infrastructure.

My son will start school this fall and I'm sure that by the time he reaches Middle School there will be at least one more school (there are currently three) and there may be one more HS by the time he reaches HS (there are two). There are many young families in the area and the numbers keep increasing.

Maybe a consideration for UC is to start looking at changing things to be at the local level of the towns, though that would mean higher taxes for towns like Indian Trail, Marvin, Weddington and Waxhaw. Would residents be opened to that?

Coming from NJ where our property taxes were sky high because schools are funded based on local property taxes at the town level with no county support I'm not sure people would want to go that route.

Old 01-23-2014, 07:49 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,411,856 times
Dr. Ellis' report to the board is up on the UCPS site. Pretty interesting perspective, and really hit home where she stands on the redistricting issue. Those that are in favor of the redistricting, will be high fiving, those against....well.

http://www.ucps.k12.nc.us/documents/...ment%20BOE.pdf

Old 01-23-2014, 08:08 PM

6,150 posts, read 9,967,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlat View Post
Dr. Ellis' report to the board is up on the UCPS site. Pretty interesting perspective, and really hit home where she stands on the redistricting issue. Those that are in favor of the redistricting, will be high fiving, those against....well.

http://www.ucps.k12.nc.us/documents/...ment%20BOE.pdf
I had to leave early, but did see the entire presentation... I felt she was very clear on 2 things overall - their funding is extra tight (BOCC cut their budget on a line item) and they were prepared to implement any option at the Board's direction. I thought she gave a fair assessment of each option orally, she "liked" some of them. But, I see how you'd look at the materials thinking she's "for redistricting".

The problem is that the overall picture is the problem. Every option other than redistricting will cost money - even simply leaving the caps short term. Extra buses and trailers - which aren't free... and they'd have to cap more schools - only to redistrict 2015 anyway. So basically throwing that money away. Building a school will take between 2 and 3 years.

Short of someone standing up and offering to cut a check, I don't see a way out. Heck, I left early - maybe an angel fell from the sky.

Old 01-23-2014, 08:10 PM

137 posts, read 188,750 times
It's pretty clear that the redistricting will happen. The only two against it on the board are Savage and Hodges from all accounts now and UCPS administration like Dr. Ellis is in favor as well.

Old 01-23-2014, 08:28 PM

397 posts, read 658,059 times
Tight funding. Safety concerns. Overcrowding. Stressed principals. No cost redistricting proposal (at least financially). I think its safe to say this is happening...

Old 01-23-2014, 08:30 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,411,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waxhawmom75 View Post
Well that is great, really it is. But wanting the best for our kids is completely different from implying they are above others because they make great grades. And sometimes when all we focus on are scores and statistics, we lose sight of the human beings that make up those numbers. Kids should be more than numbers and scores. And most importantly is the reality that many kids WILL have to change schools. What message is being sent to them with regards to this change? I can only hope the best one possible. Good luck to you and your family
thanks when do I get the bill for the counseling session?

Old 01-23-2014, 08:31 PM

6,150 posts, read 9,967,565 times
Looks like they're posting updated maps...

UCPS -Student Reassignment Presentation Materials

Old 01-23-2014, 08:40 PM

451 posts, read 703,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
I had to leave early, but did see the entire presentation... I felt she was very clear on 2 things overall - their funding is extra tight (BOCC cut their budget on a line item) and they were prepared to implement any option at the Board's direction. I thought she gave a fair assessment of each option orally, she "liked" some of them. But, I see how you'd look at the materials thinking she's "for redistricting".

The problem is that the overall picture is the problem. Every option other than redistricting will cost money - even simply leaving the caps short term. Extra buses and trailers - which aren't free... and they'd have to cap more schools - only to redistrict 2015 anyway. So basically throwing that money away. Building a school will take between 2 and 3 years.

Short of someone standing up and offering to cut a check, I don't see a way out. Heck, I left early - maybe an angel fell from the sky.
Those damn numbers again.

Did they seem prepared? More than people thought they would be?

Haven' t had a chance to look at the stuff. Busy with other numbers today.

Last edited by SunshineCJ; 01-23-2014 at 09:17 PM..

Old 01-23-2014, 08:58 PM

44 posts, read 66,651 times
As someone who is thinking of moving to union county and has to buy before the new school year starts i am watching this closely. I have no doubt that it is happening, and to be honest for those worried about property values you will be better off getting this over with. I certainly will not buy in UC until this thing is voted on. If they punt the decision for a year I will be buying elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte