Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2014, 02:48 PM

1 posts, read 1,299 times

Advertisements

Monroe City Schools is well under capacity and the scores have been horrible for over a decade. We should solve the whole problem by closing Monroe's schools, converting them all to " magnet" schools The few students left should be parceled out to other schools. Break up the cluster. There would be enough inflow of motivated students to alleviate the crowding of the other schools. This would preserve property values, help the tax base, and reduce a lot of stress for families. Fewer students would be impactec this way.

Old 01-24-2014, 03:02 PM

6,321 posts, read 10,335,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
Let me say this in case I'm coming off heartless... the BOE should adjust the current proposal based on feedback from the communities and where true factual data and logic dictate those adjustments. They need to listen to the communities taking a constructive approach - if they don't, I will line up to throw rocks, too.
Which communities are taking a constructive approach?

Old 01-24-2014, 03:09 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,022,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Which communities are taking a constructive approach?
I honestly don't know as I'm not "in the know"... I'm just trying educate myself and one thing I took from reading a bunch about the previous redistrict process, the BOE did make adjustments before approving the final lines.

Some of the things I read here and heard last night make sense to me as constructive and logical. People rarely say where they live, though. On the flip side, other things I read here and heard last night were emotional non-sense. I'm guessing the latter gets tuned out - justifiably so... all I'm saying really.

Old 01-24-2014, 03:12 PM

149 posts, read 535,843 times
quote:
Yes, I am worried about divides. As the ONLY neighborhood going to SV, the WO kids are at an enourmous disadvantage.

I have seen this repeated several times my different people.
When I look at the spreadsheets, it seems like the total number of kids moving from Cuthbertson to Sun Vally from Wesley Oaks and the Glen of Wesley Oaks is about 400 or so. It's one of the larger communities?
I honestly think your kids will have plenty of familiar faces at the new school.
Not trying to be unsympathetic, but I don't understand why this keeps coming up as a unique hardship for one subdivision.
If this goes through, all the kids will have to adjust. It seems like kids from the Wesley Oaks neighborhoods will have plenty of neighbors to help them.

Old 01-24-2014, 03:19 PM

397 posts, read 664,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwand2014 View Post
Waxhawmom75, please calm down. You seem angry whenever you post. You also seem very condescending when people do not agree with this "plan". We all should be able to state what our thoughts are without the attitude you seem so eager to display.
I have talked with several faculty and administrators as I do business with them. They will tell you off the record that they are in fact not in favor of this. Parkwood teachers I have spoken with will tell you this. This is disruptive to all kids involved, not just mine. My brother teaches at SV and he tells me this off the record. He does not mention this to anyone else as he loves being employed!
I would agree with you that there are parents of Cuthbertson and Weddington families who have been out of line. No school or kid should be treated that way. We are all not like that. We all want what is best for our kids.
Yes, I am worried about divides. As the ONLY neighborhood going to SV, the WO kids are at an enourmous disadvantage. Not all of our kids are extroverts and some do not make friends easily. The first year of high school is a challenge academically and socially, so yes, it does concern me that my daughter will not have a single face to look to that she recognizes. I would like to accept this reality, it just does not make any sense to single out one neighborhood.
It has been stated that people think mobile units are unsafe. So, if we redestrict and get the numbers back in line, are we going to see the mobile units disappear from our schools. No way. Not going to happen. Mobile units, unfortunately, are here to stay. My son is in one everyday. He seems fine. No issues. Leaves 2 times a day for AIG.

Oh, I'm not angry at all. I just find it frustrating when people focus only on the issues that affect them and leave out pertinent facts/issues that apply to others. Also, when folks want to compromise safety for such things as chinese classes and introversion well, I just don't understand that way of thinking. I agree that mobile units are here to stay, but they are not ideal and not as safe as being in the building. And an influx of trailers does not address issues with exceeding core capacity.

Old 01-24-2014, 03:26 PM

7 posts, read 10,042 times
Allow me to clarify. The glen at WO has 47 kids. We are part of WO, but separated by a road. Really a distinct neighborhood.

Old 01-24-2014, 03:44 PM

141 posts, read 198,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waxhawmom75 View Post
Oh, I'm not angry at all. I just find it frustrating when people focus only on the issues that affect them and leave out pertinent facts/issues that apply to others. Also, when folks want to compromise safety for such things as chinese classes and introversion well, I just don't understand that way of thinking. I agree that mobile units are here to stay, but they are not ideal and not as safe as being in the building. And an influx of trailers does not address issues with exceeding core capacity.

No it doesn't, but they are being used. Yet some officials claim that as alternative to redistricting they can't use mobile units because they are not safe. one board member said it was a major concern….so whats the message, they don't care about kids that are already in them, their safety really isn't a concern, its just going forward that its a safety concern?

Old 01-24-2014, 03:52 PM

396 posts, read 971,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by First and Ten View Post
No it doesn't, but they are being used. Yet some officials claim that as alternative to redistricting they can't use mobile units because they are not safe. one board member said it was a major concern….so whats the message, they don't care about kids that are already in them, their safety really isn't a concern, its just going forward that its a safety concern?
Or it's only a concern in certain parts of the county?

Old 01-24-2014, 03:58 PM

141 posts, read 198,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catonc View Post
Or it's only a concern in certain parts of the county?

good question….i don't know….if they aren't safe, why are they in use at ANY school?

Old 01-24-2014, 04:09 PM

397 posts, read 664,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by First and Ten View Post

I agree with you that the statement last night confused things. I can only hope that it was meant that too MANY trailers impede on safe evacuation, emergency procedures, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte