Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2014, 07:21 PM

397 posts, read 664,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaxhawMike View Post
I haven't been in UC for that long but I've been lead to believe that most of the previous redistricting was due to a new school being built and that nothing of this magnitude has ever been done (again, unless it was due to a new school). Is that not correct?

Where are the many? With the exception of a few that continuously post on this forum they sure are being quiet. I do agree that there is a rational reason behind the upheaval... redistribute $'s and test scores.

Earlier today I was at the store and ran into a friend that had just moved. I asked them if they were impacted by the redistricting and they said "no, we rent so we can just move again".

Darn shame that people invested in the county get screwed while renters and newcomers skate on by.
New school, old school - they all can divide friends, neighborhoods, and uproot familiarity. My daughter changed schools 4 times while living in the same home so I am quite familiar with all of this. By the way, a "newcomer" is relative. You may be viewed as a newcomer by someone else, yes?

Old 01-26-2014, 07:30 PM

451 posts, read 712,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by First and Ten View Post
i think most people are "anti-redistricting", not just the ones at the meeting. Does anybody really want to be moved out of their school or see someone else moved out?
Can we generalize anymore?

15% redistricted (and that number will go down), 85% not redistricted.

Quote:
I get there is a selfish attitude of "as long as its not me, go ahead and move someone else", but i think that is a vast minority opinion
"Selfish attitude"? "A vast minority"?

Wait, wait $60k is involved.

Quote:

Sunshine….i said that after the "proposed" lines came out and my neighborhood was redistricted from a current school to a different school. Friends of mine are realtors and casually talking i was told my house is probably $60K less if it goes to this new school. I didn't say it was a FACT, i am not looking to sell, i am just stating what was told to me. So to answer your question, it would be "redistricting plans"….i might add it would be $60K less if/when the redistricting plans become final and if my neighborhood moves. I am not selling, i am not going anywhere. I love my neighborhood. It is just a bit disconcerting if i was looking to sell and if i did lose 60K, i would be upset
The propaganda echo chamber is on full blast. Even more so now with PTO's deciding without votes, polling, surveys that they are against redistricting via newsletters. Hear the unchallenged FB community roar about numbers disproved on this thread and 2009 BoE redistricting goals quoted as fact by current BoE members only again to be contradicted here even before they were used. If that every happened in a real public or private company board meeting they would have been confronted and corrected immediately. Not the political circus that went on last Thursday because one adult wasn't there.

Copy, paste every FB # analysis or crazy conspiracy theories from whatever HOA or Angry Dad you want over here. And myself and others can objectively analyze them and point out the errors, weaknesses and usually tear them to shreds. Just post them back for the snowflake counting crowd, because if they can't see the forest through the trees, they obviously can't see above an inch of snow.

Last edited by SunshineCJ; 01-26-2014 at 07:38 PM..

Old 01-26-2014, 07:36 PM

141 posts, read 198,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waxhawmom75 View Post
New school, old school - they all can divide friends, neighborhoods, and uproot familiarity. My daughter changed schools 4 times while living in the same home so I am quite familiar with all of this. By the way, a "newcomer" is relative. You may be viewed as a newcomer by someone else, yes?
so is it safe to say you were in favor of redistricting EVERY time your daughter was moved? Or are you of the mindset because it has happened to you, let everyone else feel your daughters pain too?

Old 01-26-2014, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineCJ View Post
Can we generalize anymore?

15% redistricted (and that number will go down), 85% not redistricted.

"Selfish attitude"? "A vast minority"?

Wait, wait $60k is involved.

The propaganda echo chamber is on full blast. Even more so now with PTO's deciding without votes, polling, surveys that they are against redistricting via newsletters. Hear the unchallenged FB community roar about numbers disproved on this thread and 2009 BoE redistricting goals quoted as fact by current BoE members only again to be contradicted here even before they were used. If that every happened in a real public or private company board meeting they would have been confronted and corrected immediately. Not the political circus that went on last Thursday because one adult wasn't there.

Copy, paste every FB # analysis or crazy conspiracy theories from whatever HOA or Angry Dad you want over here. And myself and others can objectively analyze them and point out the errors, weaknesses and sometimes tear them to shreds. Just post them back for the snowflake counting crowd, because if they can't see the forest through the trees, they obviously can't see above an inch of snow.
So you are saying its just propaganda and that redistricting will have absolutely no effect on property values? are you claiming that?

Old 01-26-2014, 07:45 PM

451 posts, read 712,390 times
Quote:
So you are saying its just propaganda and that redistricting will have absolutely no effect on property values? are you claiming that?
Are you saying that property values, most importantly your property value, is more important than overcrowding the snowflakes potentially impacting their safety, security, learning and most importantly their future, not your future...

Old 01-26-2014, 07:47 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,513,090 times

Old 01-26-2014, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineCJ View Post
Are you saying that property values, most importantly your property value, is more important than overcrowding the snowflakes potentially impacting their safety, security, learning and most importantly their future, not your future...

dont deflect….you made a claim that it was propaganda…..so i asked you point blank. I will ask it again. Is i your claim that redistricting will have no impact to property values? 2 choices, yes or no

go back to my posts….i have NEVER said property values or my property values were the MOST important thing. All i said was, they would be impacted….you seem to be calling it propaganda

Old 01-26-2014, 08:07 PM

527 posts, read 744,552 times
Quote:
sure, if a newcomer can be classified as someone that owns a house, owns a local small business, pays local taxes, coaches, is a member of several fund raising committees, and serves with several non-profits... then yes, I am a newcomer... Similar to someone that doesn't live here yet but may, at some point in the future, buy a .20 acre lot in Lawson and commute into Charlotte.

Old 01-26-2014, 08:13 PM

103 posts, read 162,402 times
Quote:
I think it's fair to say that most people at the meeting were anti-redistricting. Thereby making them the majority at that particular meeting. That meeting does not speak for the entire county. I thought Hodges asked some good questions and I appreciated her representing the voice of those concerned. The excessive reactions from the audience were really annoying, however. And the whole cupcake comment... Umm? I mean aren't people encouraging their kids to come to these meetings? I don't think the adults are behaving well enough to drag the kids along for the show. It's all just so embarrassing to me - from the news to the social media to the behavior at the school board meeting. Can't wait for this all to be over so everyone can move forward.....
Obviously that meeting did not speak for the entire county. I think Hodges presented herself in a professional manner and asked questions to satisfy her knowledge and those of her constituents. I think her demeanor and presentation was a ton more professional than Mr. Stewart's tact. I was not that impressed by Dr. Ellis either. Her body language and her repeated "we can do that" spoke volumes. I personally think that Dr. Webb came away as the most impressive presenter and handled all questions calmly and in a voice and tone that one would expect from a person in that position.

Old 01-26-2014, 08:16 PM

98 posts, read 165,099 times
A little off topic. But I'm amazed at how in all of Charlotte over 92,000 people have looks at this thread and over 1300 replies. Next closest thing was about 19,000 views people asking if Charlotte was boring.... Lmao. Come on down to Union county the excitement has only begun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte