Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2014, 05:27 PM

141 posts, read 198,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineCJ View Post
I truly hope your comment was in jest.

If you and the rest of your FB friends don't get relatively simple and straightforward sales price to square foot analysis then please go ahead and present your KISS math to the FB groups, to the BoE and use it for the basis of those potential lawsuits.

To those looking to purchase a home in the area I strongly recommend doing your own sales price to square foot analysis before purchasing any home.

I will try and keep it more simple in the future for the FB crowd by only using basic math principals like addition and subtraction. Advanced principles like multiplication and division will be avoided at all costs. Because here in Union County all that matters is $350K-$283K equals a big, big number...

KISS there Sunshine (or is it Cupcake)?

the difference between $340K and $283K is $57K

The difference between a 10 and 4 is 6

Its very simple math

Those are HUGE differences

I don't want my $340K to turn into $283K nor do i want my 10 to become a 4

Old 01-27-2014, 05:37 PM

1,226 posts, read 2,372,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlat View Post
That particular case is an anomaly as was the issue at Wesley Chapel. They knew that they were going to build new schools, had a plan for new schools, had the money earmarked for new schools and knew where the new schools were going. The trailers where simply a temporary measure until MR and Cuth got built. At that time it didn't make sense (and still doesn't) to do wholesale redistricting then have to do it all over again once the schools came online. They knew that they were putting tremendous tension on the system, but knew it was only short term. Now, they have no plan for new schools, have no money for new schools and can't figure out where the new schools actually should go? Cluster D? Cuthbertson ES? ???? Building a trailer farm like what was at Weddington or Wesley Chapel with no plan to mitigate, would be really bad. Putting some trailers in place for a short term, with a definite plan to mitigate does however makes sense.
right.... and even redistricting at the time wouldn't have helped, as the WHOLE county was over capacity. The goal of putting every kid in brick and mortar was still being met, with new schools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd Jedd View Post
I think I agree here. Does core capacity imply how many people can physically fit in the hall ways? During a tornado, the kids are not staying in the classrooms, they are being moved to the hallways, way from any windows. I would assume that the kids in trailers would go in the hall ways too.

And by the by, if 27 trailers are unsafe during weather events or having kids go to the rest room, one trailer is unsafe. It doesn't matter how many trailers there are. There is no logic in the fact that they can call 1, 2 or 5 trailers safe but any indiscriminate number after this first indiscriminate number as unsafe. The school then is as much as admitting that they are putting the kids in the trailers at risk if any kids over X amount in trailers is unsafe.
there has to be enough safe square footage, that is away from windows and doors, to fit everyone safely. If you have ever been in a school during a tornado watch, they pack them in pretty good.

Yes, it does matter how many trailers. Evacuating 2 trailers and evacuating 27 trailers in the event of a tornado might not make a difference to you, but when it is MY child waiting in a line if 500 kids trying to get in during a storm, it makes a difference to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waxhawmom75 View Post
I have no idea what the core capacity at Weddington MS was in 2006. If one was curious I'm sure they could look into it. Surely there has to be a defined number at which a school can operate safely. Are you disputing this? They cap a school when it exceeds this number. Makes perfect sense to me.
They exceeded core capacity. They did so at Marvin Elementary as well. By ALOT. They did it because it was very temporary, as a new schools were being built at the time. It was ridiculous.... but when you thought, good God, this is crazy, what is being done??? the answer was "new schools".
In this situation, people want to do the same, but the answer would be, "nothing, this is the new norm"

not acceptable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlat View Post
I don't think that they should put more tension on the system than the system can handle. That might mean they go over the abirtary "core capacity" if it made sense to do so and could be done with major impact. I am not talking about what they have at Kennsington today, or what they did at Weddington or Wesley Chapel. But if they used mobiles in conjunction with some of the other things mentioned AND had a solid and significant plan to handle incoming enrollees to the system and through the bubble, without sacrificing their own core tenant of keeping people in their neighborhoods, then using trailers to me, seems feasible.
Well, I do agree, I think, on what you are saying. I do think a certain level of trailers should be used to accommodate more kids and MINIMIZE the redistricting. Within core capacity.
I also think they should explore other ways to MINIMIZE redistricting. None of them are going to provide jaw breaking numbers to fix all this, so redistricting is necessary, in my opinion.

But if you can do other smaller things in conjunction to minimize the impact on these students, I think they have a legal and moral obligation to do so. I don't care if its 50 more kids.... with their "butterfly effect", that would put 50 kids in multiple clusters back where they came from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd Jedd View Post
Use for a specialize class like Horticulture I can see. Use for JROTC or IIS? If the school is not at capacity, why? We don't care about the safety of these kids?
It's in school suspension, maybe they are practicing natural selection. j/k.... had to lighten the mood.

Old 01-27-2014, 05:41 PM

631 posts, read 892,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by First and Ten View Post

Its very simple math

Um.... You do realize the one house is 3489 sq feet and the other is 3000 right? 500 sq ft difference? An appraiser takes that in as one of the Primary factors. At $100 per sq ft that's $50,000 of the difference.

So. Um. Ya know. Facts.

Old 01-27-2014, 05:45 PM

cc0789….if you are that concerned about having your child within the confines of brick and mortar, perhaps you could volunteer to move your little snowflake(s) to a school that isn't as crowded. you could help alleviate the overcrowding issue

Old 01-27-2014, 05:47 PM

1,226 posts, read 2,372,929 times
Quote:
I truly hope your comment was in jest.

If you and the rest of your FB friends don't get relatively simple and straightforward sales price to square foot analysis then please go ahead and present your KISS math to the FB groups, to the BoE and use it for the basis of those potential lawsuits.

To those looking to purchase a home in the area I strongly recommend doing your own sales price to square foot analysis before purchasing any home.

I will try and keep it more simple in the future for the FB crowd by only using basic math principals like addition and subtraction. Advanced principles like multiplication and division will be avoided at all costs. Because here in Union County all that matters is $350K-$283K equals a big, big number...
You know,my neighbor is selling his house in MR for 1,000,000. A Parkwood home goes for $283,000 like you said. So by currently being bused to Parkwood, he is losing.... well, a big, big number......(since we are completely ignoring the square footage you noted).

But my hat is off to you, trying to teach advanced (as in third grade) math... I'm still stuck on trying to teach a quote button.

Old 01-27-2014, 05:49 PM

6,319 posts, read 10,342,588 times
Quote:

Its very simple math

Well technically, isn't it a 9 to a 5 now?

Old 01-27-2014, 05:50 PM

451 posts, read 712,390 times
Quote:
Something very interesting i found on that "conspiracy" site (FB). I deleted the persons name, i didn't want to list it, but the person did post their name. It was in regard to the BOE claiming not enough $$$$ for mobile classrooms or the other options that were offered but dismissed as costing too much….Sunshine will probably dismiss it as propaganda:

From: Richard B. Helms [mailto:richard.helms@co.union.nc.us]
Sent: Friday, January 24, 2014 12:36 PM
To:
Subject: RE: Redistricting

M*.********, thank you for taking time to share your concerns. I agree that redistricting is not the answer. They have numerous other options. As for the funds, according to they own last audit they have $18 million dollars in fund balance and since July 1st we have given them an additional $8+ million. With $26 million in funds, I do not agree that they need money. Above the $26 million that they have, we have just committed to give an additional $9 million to make sure the roofs get fixed.

I would suggest that you go to the BOE and ask why these funds are not being used to protect our children. They have plenty of funds to address roofs and redistricting.

Richard B. Helms Sr.

Union County Commissioner

500 N. Main Street

Monroe, NC 28112

Phone: 704-283-3810

Mobile: 704-576-3357

Fax: 704-282-0121

Richard.Helms@co.union.nc.us
So here is the first of a few installments about UCPS finances and financial statements.

I say installments because its been more than a few years since I had to look at financial statements based on fund accounting. Government agencies like UCPS and not for profits (including private schools) operate according to fund accounting. In fund accounting, a fund is a self-balancing set of accounts, segregated for specific purposes in accordance with laws and regulations or special restrictions and limitations. There is a balance sheet, but it is a segregated balance sheet and there is no P&L. You can't necessarily take money from one pot and put it in another pot. It's like when you donate to your university, they always want you to donate to the general fund which can be spent anywhere instead of restricting it to capital purchases, the athletic department or a particular school (i.e. business school instead of the law school).

These are the June 30, 2013 audited Financial Statements for UCPS. (A lot of government agencies like UCPs have June 30 year ends because it matches their business cycle. I doubt there is a school system out there that has a 12/31 year end.)

http://finance.ucps.k12.nc.us/docume...5-13-Final.pdf

Financial Highlights
 The Board expended an average of $7,520 of state, local and federal dollars per pupil, while the state average was $8,033 for fiscal year 2012-2013. This ranked Union County Public Schools per pupil expenditure amount 106th out of 115 school governmental units in North Carolina.
 The Board experienced an increased average daily membership of 594 students. This represented a 1.5% increase over the previous year.
 The Board is renovating existing schools primarily financed with bonds approved in 2006 by the citizens of Union County to deal with obsolescence and the escalating age of some of its schools. Enrollment has increased over 1,800 students since our last schools were opened in 2009-2010.

Old 01-27-2014, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc0789 View Post
You know,my neighbor is selling his house in MR for 1,000,000. A Parkwood home goes for $283,000 like you said. So by currently being bused to Parkwood, he is losing.... well, a big, big number......(since we are completely ignoring the square footage you noted).

But my hat is off to you, trying to teach advanced (as in third grade) math... I'm still stuck on trying to teach a quote button.

cc, i truly doubt any of your neighbors have a $1,000,000 house….just a hunch tho

Old 01-27-2014, 05:52 PM

Quote:
So here is the first of a few installments about UCPS finances and financial statements.

I say installments because its been more than a few years since I had to look at financial statements based on fund accounting. Government agencies like UCPS and not for profits (including private schools) operate according to fund accounting. In fund accounting, a fund is a self-balancing set of accounts, segregated for specific purposes in accordance with laws and regulations or special restrictions and limitations. There is a balance sheet, but it is a segregated balance sheet and there is no P&L. You can't necessarily take money from one pot and put it in another pot. It's like when you donate to your university, they always as you to donate to the general fund which can be spent anywhere instead of restricting it to capital purchases, the athletic department or a particular school (i.e. business school instead of the law school).

These are the June 30, 2013 audited Financial Statements for UCPS. (A lot of government agencies like UCPs have June 30 year ends because it matches their business cycle. I doubt there is a school system out there that has a 12/31 year end.)

http://finance.ucps.k12.nc.us/docume...5-13-Final.pdf

Financial Highlights
 The Board expended an average of $7,520 of state, local and federal dollars per pupil, while the state average was $8,033 for fiscal year 2012-2013. This ranked Union County Public Schools per pupil expenditure amount 106th out of 115 school governmental units in North Carolina.
 The Board experienced an increased average daily membership of 594 students. This represented a 1.5% increase over the previous year.
 The Board is renovating existing schools primarily financed with bonds approved in 2006 by the citizens of Union County to deal with obsolescence and the escalating age of some of its schools. Enrollment has increased over 1,800 students since our last schools were opened in 2009-2010.
how does your post explain a possible conflict of interest?

Old 01-27-2014, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Well technically, isn't it a 9 to a 5 now?

Weddington not a 10? SV not a 4?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte