Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2014, 10:19 AM

1,226 posts, read 2,372,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by catonc View Post
My understanding is they went back into closed session because they were told by the BOCC during the meeting that they were "misinformed" and there were no strings attached to the $3M other than it had to be used for MCR's so they went back behind closed doors to re-discuss. I guess we may never know for sure what was discussed though since it is attorney client privilege.
Exactly. But, yes, we will know...eventually. minutes are still taken in closed sessions, and released when confidentiality is no longer an issue. Of course, that will be way past most if the county's attention span. So some of us, will know... some will never know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMARIA View Post
These are the 4 items that Mary Ellis and staff were asked to research.
Grandfather all kids was one- I didn't catch that it was only until the natural transition, but I may have missed that part.

1. research Marvin Ridge/Cuthbertson/Porter Ridge clusters elementary splits (k-2,3-4.5-6)
2. look at grandfather everyone, how many schools would be capped , additional buses and transport cost
3. 5 year plan for construction of new buildings or additions to existing /fixing of existing
4. clean up boundary lines in redistricting as it stands now to keep tiny neighborhoods in current schools

If I misheard, please correct me.
grandfather until gradual transition. If not, that is just called capping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaxhawMike View Post
Woohoo, thread back open and all my old friends still here.

My guess is that a very likely outcome is that all existing students will be grandfathered, not address based caps, but sitting students will stay in their cluster if they can provide their own transportation. I'm guessing this is why they wanted to consult with the attorney after last nights meeting... to make sure that approach wouldn't pose a legal problem.

At a minimum they will grandfather all sitting high schoolers.

Didn't I tell you guys a while back that Kevin Stewart had some ideas?... still batting a 1.000
I think you are very confused.

Quote:
Originally Posted by catonc View Post
Correct me if I am wrong but this plan only allows the kids to stay in their schools until they "graduate" to the next school? So current 8th graders would still go to their redistricted high school? Still doesn't help my kids if that's correct.
You are correct.

Old 02-19-2014, 10:27 AM

1,031 posts, read 2,425,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waxhawmom75 View Post
You were the one who asked for advice on how to explain/present all of this to your kids, yes? Why ask and then take insult with suggestions? My family has been through this before. My daughter has been redistricted many times before. This is not the first time this has happened in Union County history and it won't be the last. So, yes. I can "make that kind of statement and really be serious about it". And if my son had to change schools next year, he would be doing it along with 6000 other kids (hardly a small tank of select fishies that are getting picked on as you suggested).
Not taking insult, I just can't believe you put this stuff out there with a straight face.

Old 02-19-2014, 11:41 AM

527 posts, read 743,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc0789 View Post
I think you are very confused.
Everyone that doesn't agree with and 100% support moving 6,000 kids is terribly confused in your eyes.

I just report what I hear.

Old 02-19-2014, 11:50 AM

397 posts, read 664,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlat View Post
Not taking insult, I just can't believe you put this stuff out there with a straight face.

And I can't believe how predictable some people are. The "not a problem until it's MY problem mentality", then looooooook out world, 'cause not on my watch will I be subjected to such treatment! What "stuff" have I put out there that is so amusing? The concept of putting on big boy pants and spitting out the binky, perhaps?

Old 02-19-2014, 12:12 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,425,706 times
Quote:
And I can't believe how predictable some people are. The "not a problem until it's MY problem mentality", then looooooook out world, 'cause not on my watch will I be subjected to such treatment! What "stuff" have I put out there that is so amusing? The concept of putting on big boy pants and spitting out the binky, perhaps?
First your attitude that this in not a big issue, is certainly amusing. No big deal, we've been through it many times, as you put it. Forced busing is really okay, not a bad thing, certainly not shipping the kids off to the 3rd world. Life sucks, so deal...all amusing. Put'em on the bus and get them the heck out of my kids school, they'll be just fine, really amusing. I beleive that you called me naive a while back because I questioned the learning enviornment of these title 1 schools. I'm really sorry that I just can't be as complacent as you when it comes to my kids. I value their future lives way more than that.

Until now, did I step up about these schools that were turning into crapholes? No, but that's on me and I will certainly own that. How about you stepping up about this useless and unnecessary forced busing initiative? But I also don't know that I've heard outrage about it from the communities in which these schools are in. I am not saying it hasn't happened, but it isn't something that I have personally come in contact with.

ROFL on the big boy pants...if you only knew. I'll let your comments there stand on their own. They are more telling than anything else that you have posted.

Old 02-19-2014, 01:35 PM

2,773 posts, read 5,159,064 times
Quote:
Both you & cc0789 are bulling anybody who is against the redistricting. As a result this thread will get locked again (as it should).

Please, please try to abstain from personal attacks against the posters who have a different opinion. Reason most of us are here, it is to find out what will happen to our kids next school year, not to prove others are idiots.

Old 02-19-2014, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28173 View Post
Both you & cc0789 are bulling anybody who is against the redistricting. As a result this thread will get locked again (as it should).

Please, please try to abstain from personal attacks against the posters who have a different opinion. Reason most of us are here, it is to find out what will happen to our kids next school year, not to prove others are idiots.
I disagree with you. I am not a bully. I am opinionated and tired of seeing the negative, selfish statements from the community that I live in. It is sad to me that grown folks are acting this way. The slander, the boos, the facebook attacks, the politics, the snake in the grass tactics. What good does it do on this thread to stay quiet? Is this not related to the topic of redistricting? It is affecting ALL of us at this point!! The television, you tube, facebook, newpapers, reporters, etc are all making our county a not so desirable place to live right now!! I don't like seeing the divide. I don't like seeing the "us against them" mentality. There truly ARE bitter people out there that are somehow angry and upset at families who are NOT going to be affected!!!! Seriously??? Why??? Misery loves company I guess. I say put your energy towards coming up with a solution. Not another problem.

Last edited by waxhawmom75; 02-19-2014 at 02:18 PM..

Old 02-19-2014, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlat View Post
First your attitude that this in not a big issue, is certainly amusing. No big deal, we've been through it many times, as you put it. Forced busing is really okay, not a bad thing, certainly not shipping the kids off to the 3rd world. Life sucks, so deal...all amusing. Put'em on the bus and get them the heck out of my kids school, they'll be just fine, really amusing. I beleive that you called me naive a while back because I questioned the learning enviornment of these title 1 schools. I'm really sorry that I just can't be as complacent as you when it comes to my kids. I value their future lives way more than that.

Until now, did I step up about these schools that were turning into crapholes? No, but that's on me and I will certainly own that. How about you stepping up about this useless and unnecessary forced busing initiative? But I also don't know that I've heard outrage about it from the communities in which these schools are in. I am not saying it hasn't happened, but it isn't something that I have personally come in contact with.

ROFL on the big boy pants...if you only knew. I'll let your comments there stand on their own. They are more telling than anything else that you have posted.

I never called you naïve. Find where I said that. I didn't. I said that some folks are naïve as to what goes on in their clusters of choice and assume that their kids are safer there. There is violence there too. And drug deals. And things need repair. And you get my gist. I want roofs to be repaired and holes to be filled and more kids in brick and mortar. THAT is my focus. I also don't want schools to be unsafe and at 120% capacity. I hear that you have your own issues such as long bus rides. But there is an entire county to consider and a BUDGET. I don't believe that spending money to keep kids at their home school trumps leaky roofs, and a lack of fencing around MCRs, and unsafe bathroom facilities. So just what do you propose to solve all of this? And how much would that cost? And would it address everything that needs to be addressed? That's my point. Complain all you want, but please have a constructive/doable/feasible/fiscally-responsible solution (otherwise it is just counter-productive complaining). That's why Marce Savage irritates me so. She doesn't bring anything tangible to the table. Just her own feelings and her dislike of redistricting.

Last edited by waxhawmom75; 02-19-2014 at 02:40 PM..

Old 02-19-2014, 02:23 PM

451 posts, read 711,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooLogical View Post
They did meet at 4:00 to discuss the BOCC offer and when they consulted with the county attorney they were told there were strings attached. I'm not sure if "county attorney" means a BOE one or a BOCC one. Anyone know?

Once they learned that they unanimously voted it down.

During the meeting Aikmus and Thomas went berserk on FB and texting the BOE saying there were no strings. People were asking to see that in writing but nothing was shared aside from the original letter. We reviewed that on this forum and the last paragraph clearly stated the terms should be similar to the repair money offered a month ago. That had lots of strings with it. 7 terms if I recall tied to the lawsuit.

They needed to get additional clarity on that item since it's completely different than what they heard 2 hours earlier.
BoE has inhouse:
Michele Morris and contracted
Schwartz and Shaw from Raleigh

BoCC has inhouse:
Ligon Bundy
Recently hired another firm for the appeal.

My understanding is that Bundy sent the repairs agreement to the BoE counsel Tuesday morning for review. If the repairs agreement was based on the original repairs proposal letter I would say there were terms attached to the $3M for trailers.

$3M Trailer Letter: http://protectucps.files.wordpress.c...k-2-4-2014.pdf

"...If this is agreeable to the Board of Education, we would propose that our understanding be reduced to a written agreement similar to that currently under development for additional roofing appropriations. We look forward to your response.If this is agreeable to the Board of Education, we would propose that our understanding be reduced to a written agreement similar to that currently under development for additional roofing appropriations. We look forward to your response."

Roof Repair Letter: http://www.co.union.nc.us/Portals/0/...021%202014.pdf

"...This proposal should not be considered an offer to settle the appeal of the jury's verdict rendered last year, Instead this is an offer to address the roofing needs. The terms of this proposal are:

1. Regardless of the outcome of the appeal, the $5,357,859 appropriated by Union County in October, 2013 will be credited to pay the balance of the UCPS capital outlay request contained in its 2013-2014 budget request.

2. Union County would immediately appropriate to UCPS the additional amount of $9,578,595 to be used solely for those roofing projects identified in the spreadsheet attached to your January 14, 2014, letter, plus the emerging roofing project at Parkwood High School further described in the letter. UCPS would use its best efforts to expedite the repair and/or replacement of these roofs prior to the end of the current fiscal year.

3. In the event Union County does not prevail in its appeal of the portion of the judgment related to capital outlay and the judgment is affirmed, UCPS would credit the amount of $14,936,454 against the jury award for capital outlay, which amount is the sum of $9,578,595 plus the $5,357,859 already appropriated by the Board of Commissioners.

4. In the event Union County prevails in its appeal of the pot1ion of the judgment related to capital outlay and UCPS is not entitled to a retrial of the capital outlay portion of its claim, or is entitled only to a retrial of the portion of the 2013-2014 capital outlay request that Union County did not fund when it adopted its 2013-2014 budget, UCPS would credit the amount of$5,357,859 against the 2013-2014 capital outlay budget request, in full satisfaction of its capital outlay request for the fiscal year 2013-2014.

5. In the event Union County prevails in its appeal of the capital outlay portion of the judgment and UCPS is entitled to, and pursues, re-trial on capital outlay, the amount of $14,936,454 would be credited against any subsequent capital outlay judgment rendered against the County on re-trial.

6. The terms of this arrangement would need to be reduced to a written agreement executed by both parties and approved by the court, if necessary."

Old 02-19-2014, 03:08 PM

985 posts, read 1,900,869 times
Tweet from Dedrick Russell: Just in:@UCPS_MonroeNC attorney says the county rejected offer from school district to pay $91M verdict over a length of time WBTV News

adding: Reporting on conditions within a capped school: http://www.wbtv.com/story/24767013/o...-middle-school
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte