Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2014, 08:38 AM

527 posts, read 744,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
No, like I said - that's an example... Feel free to read through the comments yourself.

Of course, none of this means anything to you - but when someone's job is threatened for disagreeing and "what to do with them" is insinuated as a threat that says volumes to me.
Of course it means something to me because everyone opposed to redistricting is getting thrown into a pot with 2 or 3 crazies.

I haven't looked at the facebook stuff in a while but what I saw a while ago wasn't much different than what was being posted on the Parkwood Pride page.

Old 03-03-2014, 08:44 AM

149 posts, read 536,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaxhawMike View Post
The sooner the better. I actually hope that someone will make a motion to amend tomorrow nights agenda and push for a vote.

That's it? Maybe it's just me but that fluff wouldn't stop me from speaking.
What stops me from speaking is twofold.
1. It is not a 'vote'.
Despite the claims of the FB folk about 'winning' 50 to 0, the Public Hearings are just a procedurally required additional venue for your voice to be heard. My voice has been heard via the emails I have sent to the BOE. (Which, by the way we all answered, despite the county email system being jammed up with the JUST SAY NO spam campaign.)

2. I don't want these people to know my name.
Some, certainly not all, but some of those opposed are making this an 'us vs them' issue. I wont jeopardize personal friendships or acquaintances merely to shout out in a public forum. THe BOE knows my views, that's all that matters.
Honestly, some of these people scare me. The threats are out there, documented on FB if you care to read them. I for one don't find value in antagonizing the angry, irrational folks out there.

Although I really don't think ANY of our viewpoints come into play much. The BOE is making a decision based on facts, not emotions.

I also wish they would just have the vote so we can all move on.

Old 03-03-2014, 08:54 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,029,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaxhawMike View Post
Of course it means something to me because everyone opposed to redistricting is getting thrown into a pot with 2 or 3 crazies.

I haven't looked at the facebook stuff in a while but what I saw a while ago wasn't much different than what was being posted on the Parkwood Pride page.
I'm not throwing you in that pot... I'm just trying to explain why I (or some people I know) have concerns speaking publicly or posting about this on FB.

Regardless of your dismal of these posts, these groups have shown they are looking for ways to escalate this... this week it was the State BOE getting spammed with emails. They do this knowing full well that the State BOE can't do anything, they have 0 power over local issues. But, they don't care - emails are being rained down... and this isn't "2 or 3 crazies" doing that - the group is being sucked in using multiple email addresses. 50 people with many email accounts mean literally hundreds of emails per hour. They set-up a macro option for these email where people can send these emails to everyone on a predefined list with only a click of a mouse. So what will it be next week?

If there's a 0.000000001% chance that my employment can be impacted in any way, that my boss could find his way on this spam list with my name some how - why would I engage the "fluff" (as you call it)?

Old 03-03-2014, 09:10 AM

9 posts, read 14,795 times
Does this post qualify as intimidating and threatening enough WaxhawMike?
FB post by RW (I ought to print his whole name to call him out, but I won't) to an ordinary citizen---"is there a false statement? "we" take screen shots of every post, prior to the edits... but interesting comment nonetheless"

And if you believe his “we”, there is more than one in this tin foil hat crowd. Can we please get them some meds? I need to find a pic of him, so I don’t make the mistake of sitting near him at the meeting tonight.

Old 03-03-2014, 09:20 AM

397 posts, read 664,980 times
My thoughts on this... the innuendos, the threats, the harassment - all human nature. You learn so much about people when they are stressed. Most people adapt and move through things without going completely ape ****. But then there are... "the others". I personally am not intimidated by the frenzied ones - have gotten all kinds of ridiculous messages on facebook and find it mildly amusing at best. By all means show up at my front door and we'll take it from there. But the truth is that there truly are people who snap everyday. So who REALLY knows what anyone is capable of doing when stressed. If you feel concerned or threatened, then there is probably a perfectly reasonable explanation as to why! Why demand that people stand at a podium and speak when they don't feel comfortable or don't feel it is necessary. Sweep you own doorstep before sweeping others'. As others have said, I feel emails to the appropriate representatives are more than appropriate based on the circumstances. It's a school redistricting for god's sake, not an apocalyptic human rights issue. I personally think in the end that the most reasonable and practical decisions will be voted on and life will carry on. Those who don't like it will have to build a bridge and move on over it (or blow a gasket and reap the consequences of their own behavior). Let's get this thing voted on already and move the **** on.

Old 03-03-2014, 09:32 AM

985 posts, read 1,902,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waxhawmom75 View Post
My thoughts on this... the innuendos, the threats, the harassment - all human nature. You learn so much about people when they are stressed. Most people adapt and move through things without going completely ape ****. But then there are... "the others". I personally am not intimidated by the frenzied ones - have gotten all kinds of ridiculous messages on facebook and find it mildly amusing at best. By all means show up at my front door and we'll take it from there. But the truth is that there truly are people who snap everyday. So who REALLY knows what anyone is capable of doing when stressed. If you feel concerned or threatened, then there is probably a perfectly reasonable explanation as to why! Why demand that people stand at a podium and speak when they don't feel comfortable or don't feel it is necessary. Sweep you own doorstep before sweeping others'. As others have said, I feel emails to the appropriate representatives are more than appropriate based on the circumstances. It's a school redistricting for god's sake, not an apocalyptic human rights issue. I personally think in the end that the most reasonable and practical decisions will be voted on and life will carry on. Those who don't like it will have to build a bridge and move on over it (or blow a gasket and reap the consequences of their own behavior). Let's get this thing voted on already and move the **** on.
^^applause!^^

and yes, there have been screen shots saved of EVERYTHING posted at (united) that is wrong on so many levels. I guess people could be doing it here too. I would like to think that if someone was doing as such they would tell the group, but I realize not everyone would.

Old 03-03-2014, 09:33 AM

631 posts, read 892,576 times
Fact Check Question:

Under the current reassignment proposal does anyone have to physically drive by one school to get to their reassigned one? I've seen this a lot lately, and I don't recall anywhere on the maps where that will happen. Some are claiming driving by 2-3 other schools on the way to theirs. Anyone?

Old 03-03-2014, 09:54 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,029,147 times
This thread has become the rare bird where people can openly debate the subject without fear of retribution... there is nothing stopping anyone from joining the conversation here - we know key players know that this thread exists. It's being read by both sides.

The problem is that folks can't make broad unsubstantiated statements (or indirect threats) here - they'll get questioned instead of the handful of likes they have become used to... Social media continues to allow them to think they are the only opinion that matters.

The "crazies" (as Mike calls them) wouldn't last in a true debate. They prefer to excel unquestioned in the echo chamber where they get to use cyclical arguments like why their emails aren't being answered - in the midst of the hundreds they are spamming to each member per hour. I get it... makes them feel good. But it doesn't validate their points.

Old 03-03-2014, 09:55 AM

398 posts, read 619,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooLogical View Post
Fact Check Question:

Under the current reassignment proposal does anyone have to physically drive by one school to get to their reassigned one? I've seen this a lot lately, and I don't recall anywhere on the maps where that will happen. Some are claiming driving by 2-3 other schools on the way to theirs. Anyone?
I'm sorry but this is such a red herring. I sure wish it was easier to sort fb by poster. I've seen several posts where person A is so upset at the long drive and on another thread the same poster is planning to send their kids to private school or to charter school. All farther away than reassigned school (and the farther in the same direction for the charter).

Old 03-03-2014, 09:57 AM

631 posts, read 892,576 times
Regarding the 5800, I'm anxious to see what the final number ends up at. We've all agreed that it was too high from the start, and had anyone presented an alternative that included some reassignment, this might be over by now.

- 701 students are being reassigned ES, but staying in the cluster. According to the Savage Plan, that's ok and shouldn't be part of the 5800.
- Approx. 1200 rising 10-12's could be grandfathered in (estimated).
- There are neighborhoods that could/should be moved back, but I don't know how many of those will impact the final count. Less than 400 if I took a guess, as I don't see many large neighborhoods being able to do so.
- Regarding the noise, how many will speak tonight about being moved from MR to Wedd or Cuth? That's similar to the Hollister argument last week. Those groups have been very quiet overall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte