Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2014, 09:28 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,022,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlat View Post
I've said this before, I read FB purely for the entertainment value. The one time I posted and spoke out against the rally plan, I got smacked pretty hard. There are definitely whackoos on there, but at the same time, there are some people that post there that are smart, articulate and really want do everything they can to hold their elected officials accountable for their actions. A lot of the anti-forced busing groups that I have met with and talk to regularly aren't even on FB for the very reasons we have all seen. Many, like me, just lurk and have a good laugh. There are way better avenues to communicate and discuss ideas and such other than FB.

I think what you'll see is really 4 factions that are either more vocal or less, depending on where your own personal feelings fall: 1) those that say no to forced busing and will go all out to try and change the game 2) those that understand the bigger picture, but would like to see the BoE minimize the disruption and consider ways to improve the educational foundation of all students accross the system. 3) Those like the SV lady last night that don't want increase in taxes no matter what the ultimate cost. 4) those that have no skin in the game either way, but may have an opinion one way or another.

It would have probably been better if the anti forced busing faction, didn't take to FB and used other ways of communicating or closed their group like the Parkwood folks did. But they didn't and let everyone see every comment good and bad. Social media can be useful, but it is only as good as those typing the messages. I wonder what we will all do for entertainment once this all gets resolved?
We crossed quoted posts... lol

I think you have nailed the factions. I consider myself in #2 because I feel you have very succinctly and clearly put my feelings into 1 sentence.

The BOE's job is to represent the 4 factions appropriately... make the sausage.

I also agree on your last part... so many have posted in the heat of the moment on these open groups and they haven't factored in that those are out there forever. This is very short sighted considering the end goal is not "VOTE NO"... they don't seem to realize that a vote (yes or no) is only kicking off the future battles ahead for the county. The journey is only beginning to get UCPS where we all want it to be in the future.

Old 03-04-2014, 09:31 AM

398 posts, read 618,492 times
Quote:
I've said this before, I read FB purely for the entertainment value. The one time I posted and spoke out against the rally plan, I got smacked pretty hard. There are definitely whackoos on there, but at the same time, there are some people that post there that are smart, articulate and really want do everything they can to hold their elected officials accountable for their actions. A lot of the anti-forced busing groups that I have met with and talk to regularly aren't even on FB for the very reasons we have all seen. Many, like me, just lurk and have a good laugh. There are way better avenues to communicate and discuss ideas and such other than FB.

I think what you'll see is really 4 factions that are either more vocal or less, depending on where your own personal feelings fall: 1) those that say no to forced busing and will go all out to try and change the game 2) those that understand the bigger picture, but would like to see the BoE minimize the disruption and consider ways to improve the educational foundation of all students accross the system. 3) Those like the SV lady last night that don't want increase in taxes no matter what the ultimate cost. 4) those that have no skin in the game either way, but may have an opinion one way or another.

It would have probably been better if the anti forced busing faction, didn't take to FB and used other ways of communicating or closed their group like the Parkwood folks did. But they didn't and let everyone see every comment good and bad. Social media can be useful, but it is only as good as those typing the messages. I wonder what we will all do for entertainment once this all gets resolved?
Well...I was hoping you, jlat, would lead the charge on the new BOCC candidates!! Can't wait to hear everyone's impressions/opinions

Old 03-04-2014, 09:32 AM

1,031 posts, read 2,425,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
I'm hoping Mr Stewart's committee brings it and it's bigger than "ones twos"... Speaking frankly and openly, politically they need to take the shock value of 14% or 5,800 away. They need to make a serious dent in that number to win some of the fence riders. If they are willing to concede 5 years worth of forecasts, they can significantly cut the numbers down.

Correct if I'm wrong, but without an "Approval" on the agenda right now for redistricting wouldn't they need to propose and vote on modifying that agenda before they can put anything up to vote?
I dunno anymore. Part of me thinks that they have one last card to play before the vote and that the grand plan might be coming, part of me thinks that genie is so far out of the bottle that they just want to cut and run.

On tonight's agenda they do have an item that reads, "Discussion of Options to Alleviate Overcrowding". I suspect this is where the facilities group gets their grand show. I don't know that they could do the official vote tonight, but I think it would pretty much be the done deal at that point and the April vote would just be a formality. Everybody on either side wants this over and done with.

Old 03-04-2014, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raithfan View Post
Well...I was hoping you, jlat, would lead the charge on the new BOCC candidates!! Can't wait to hear everyone's impressions/opinions
No sir, I will work tirelessly behind the scenes for any candidate that represents what I feel are the best interests of the county (so far none of the potentials come close), but like I said before my BS meter just doesn't go that far to the top

Old 03-04-2014, 09:45 AM

Mary Ellis...big picture.
Take away your feelings for this issue (if possible)..
Would you agree/disagree that if you look at her record and the county schools overall. Has she done an overall good job?
I personally think she has. Any system that people look to for a reason to locate has got to be a good systems. Does it need tweaking...of course but overall...A.

I keep thinking of unintended consequences of all of this. Mary Ellis is getting calls from other areas (with higher pay) to leave. She is here because this is home. Do you really think the district wants to lose her? You can have your opinion on the current situation but she runs a buttoned-up organization operationally.

Old 03-04-2014, 09:47 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,022,564 times
Quote:
No sir, I will work tirelessly behind the scenes for any candidate that represents what I feel are the best interests of the county (so far none of the potentials come close), but like I said before my BS meter just doesn't go that far to the top
I would like to hear who you would support for the BOCC... maybe not now or here, but I think you have a perspective that is important for all of us to hear. I will say that anyone running as "a block" immediately scares me and I have serious reservations about that approach we see already emerging for the upcoming BOCC election.

Same for the BOE.

Old 03-04-2014, 09:49 AM

Quote:
I wrote that poorly (as I am want to do) but, jlat, I wanted YOUR "take" on the candidates...As a matter of fact and when this is all over I would appreciate all of your, our little Algonquin Round Table, opinions.

Jlat...You already said you weren't running

Old 03-04-2014, 09:53 AM

527 posts, read 743,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
where else can we really see those tinfoil hats... "Plants" from the BOE to speak for redistricting - "Paid" or "Threatened" to speak in favor. lol.
It's well known that John Collins sent out emails pleading with those in favor of redistricting to speak up at last nights meeting... what'd he get, 3? Wow, now there's some support.

Quote:
Would you agree/disagree that if you look at her record and the county schools overall. Has she done an overall good job?
I personally think she has. Any system that people look to for a reason to locate has got to be a good systems. Does it need tweaking...of course but overall...A.

I keep thinking of unintended consequences of all of this. Mary Ellis is getting calls from other areas (with higher pay) to leave. She is here because this is home. Do you really think the district wants to lose her? You can have your opinion on the current situation but she runs a buttoned-up organization operationally.
I've had doubts about Dr. Ellis in the past but I believe she is doing the best she can. The BOE has put her in a terrible position. Webb on the other hand...

Old 03-04-2014, 09:54 AM

189 posts, read 326,710 times
Quote:

This is highly subjective and depends entirely on perspective. Speak with staff members of UCPS, maybe those from Cuthbertson Middle School, to see how much of a 'buttoned up organization she runs'?

Old 03-04-2014, 10:07 AM

Quote:

I think she's an academic. I think she was way over her head with forced busing. It would have been smarter to bring in a independent 3rd party to weed through the fud. McKibben makes a living doing exactly what Ellis was trying to do.

When she came on after Dr. Davis retired, I was pretty positive. She seemed like she knew what she was doing and had a somewhat successful tenure at PW, but now I don't know. I think her demeanor during meetings and the fact that she has complained about not having enough staff, working too many hours and basically putting everything on the backs of the BoE starts to make me wonder. I found her comment that successful parents make successful children and that it didn't matter where they sat, pretty telling. My stance all along with this is the environment in which children go to school does make a difference in their overall outcome.

If she's getting recruited, then by all means I think she should pursue her options. At times like this, the job probably sucks. Maybe 90% of the time, she gets to focus on the system and how to make it better, but now, I can imagine that this has been all consuming. I would have just really liked it if she seized this opportunity to really bring some innovation and creativity into the mix and she didn't do that. She went cheap and I think the BoE pressured her to do so. That to me, doesn't show me a lot of leadership and is just doing the bidding of the BoE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte