Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2014, 10:10 AM

1,031 posts, read 2,425,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by raithfan View Post
I wrote that poorly (as I am want to do) but, jlat, I wanted YOUR "take" on the candidates...As a matter of fact and when this is all over I would appreciate all of your, our little Algonquin Round Table, opinions.

Jlat...You already said you weren't running
I'm still vetting...I worked on a campaign for one of the potentials, but I'm not sure that this time around I would do the same. I know that there are others that are pretty toxic, but might still have a enough pull in the east to get themselves elected.

Old 03-04-2014, 10:18 AM

631 posts, read 891,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINYTransplant View Post
Unfortunately this is the prevailing attitude as well regarding our national political scene. Sad.
Yes, it's everywhere and very sad. Regardless of what side anyone is on, its always a small group of people that actually pay attention and the rest are oblivious.

Old 03-04-2014, 10:39 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,022,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaxhawMike View Post
It's well known that John Collins sent out emails pleading with those in favor of redistricting to speak up at last nights meeting... what'd he get, 3? Wow, now there's some support.

I've had doubts about Dr. Ellis in the past but I believe she is doing the best she can. The BOE has put her in a terrible position. Webb on the other hand...
I'm surprised he got even 1 to be honest... Addressing the bus figures off his question was rehearsed. In the end, we shouldn't be shocked by this political theater stuff.

I agree on Ellis.

Old 03-04-2014, 10:40 AM

189 posts, read 326,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc0789 View Post

Maybe since Savage can make a motion to delay a vote that doesn't exist on the agenda, and Hodges can ask questions when there is only comments on the agenda and make campaign speeches when that isn't also on the agenda, the others can do whatever the hell they want to as well.

lol...what a pair those two!

Old 03-04-2014, 10:50 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,022,564 times
Quote:
From my understanding, the facilities committee will not address redistricting today. A committees only role is to vet things before they are presented to the board. It is at the board level already, for them to do anything at committee level at this point would not be right.

Maybe since Savage can make a motion to delay a vote that doesn't exist on the agenda, and Hodges can ask questions when there is only comments on the agenda and make campaign speeches when that isn't also on the agenda, the others can do whatever the hell they want to as well.

On a whole there seems to be some truth to the wild west of doing whatever they want... To get someone at a public hearing from the transportation department up at the podium to address the incorrect bus miles figures floating around was very surprising. So along these lines I don't think we should expect that they color in the lines with some things and not with others - committee level vs. board level, especially when 4 board members sit on the facilities committee.

The facilities committee could validate an updated proposal at 4pm, present to the BOE and counsel at 6pm in closed session, and then possibly present it publicly as another option during the planned agenda item to discuss relief for overcrowding. Meaning it could simply just be another option for the board to consider. Then again, nobody seems to know... either way it will be interesting to watch.

Old 03-04-2014, 11:16 AM

397 posts, read 664,491 times
Quote:

Actually, a group of FB loonies next to me were very loudly disputing, heckling, and criticizing every word. I actually had to let them know that they were being very rude to the speaker, after which, two young girls thanked me, as that was their 7th grade teacher and they felt so bad for him.

So sad that these two girls were able to sit respectfully through 47+ speakers that had opposing opinions, yet the majority of the adults in that room couldn't find the respect to sit through 3. I am outraged at the outrage.
That is what kills me about all of this. Thank you for speaking up and showing those 7th graders that manners still matter no matter what the opinion. I think the PW teacher last night impacted me more than most. Kinda like "Hi, hello folks. Our school has real teachers and real children and real families that live inside. Your negativity towards us DOES affect how we feel. Scores are not necessarily reflective of teachers and their level of compassion. Older, more run-down schools do not equate to being worthy of nothing more than demolition. In the midst of looking out for your own families and needs, you are forgetting that what you say is being heard by impressionable ears and felt by impressionable hearts." So to say that there are people not being affected by this is such BS. Anyone with eyes and ears who lives in this county is being affected in one way or another. I am outraged at the outrage as well cc.

Old 03-04-2014, 11:34 AM

398 posts, read 618,492 times
Quote:
From my understanding, the facilities committee will not address redistricting today. A committees only role is to vet things before they are presented to the board. It is at the board level already, for them to do anything at committee level at this point would not be right.

I couldn't agree more.

Actually, a group of FB loonies next to me were very loudly disputing, heckling, and criticizing every word. I actually had to let them know that they were being very rude to the speaker, after which, two young girls thanked me, as that was their 7th grade teacher and they felt so bad for him.

So sad that these two girls were able to sit respectfully through 47+ speakers that had opposing opinions, yet the majority of the adults in that room couldn't find the respect to sit through 3. I am outraged at the outrage.
And you are now my daughter's new hero CC

Old 03-04-2014, 11:43 AM

1,031 posts, read 2,425,706 times
BREAKING NEWS...they did not take the $3mil...

Old 03-04-2014, 11:48 AM

398 posts, read 618,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlat View Post
BREAKING NEWS...they did not take the $3mil...
There's a shocker.

Old 03-04-2014, 11:54 AM

631 posts, read 891,610 times
I don't think they vote tonight.

I would welcome any option put on the table that has some mix of what we've all discussed including some redistricting. If that is presented in a formal manner tonight, it would significantly change the conversation for the next few weeks. What if the student count goes down to 2900? The "zero reassignment" crowd will still call out conspiracies based on who is/isn't moved, but it could end up being a more rational solution. I'm hoping that's the case tonight.

If we end up rehashing the same things over and over, they are getting nowhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte