Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2014, 10:44 AM

985 posts, read 1,891,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooLogical View Post

Similarly, right now there are lots of people filling out the transfer forms. Many are going to use the same reason?!?!?!?!?! That's going to inundate UCPS with lots of invalid/emotional requests and some of the valid requests could be lost in the shuffle. Working parents that can't pick up their kids in time from after school, exceptional children that need specific care, etc. It makes it harder for the system to separate the real issues from the fabricators.
I saw this too, I hope they are able to efficiently weed through and read each one, and be able to pick out the cases that need to picked out. There are a few making this much harder for those trying to use the system correctly.

This is not to say those people should not be considered but everyone using the same hardship on the forms, not the best of ideas to get what you want.

It cries of the massive email all copying the same email letter, and then wondering why no one responds.

Old 03-11-2014, 11:08 AM

98 posts, read 163,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
I don't see anyone bashing Millbridge at least in here. Simply pointing out the fact that they were the only neighborhood that was accommodated.
Accommodated ? The front section was never moving just like ankiln forest, quellin,cureton only the back side Which has 24 elementary kids that half can't even go to the school on their own property?. Again theONLY community split. Also even the backside is over 11 miles away from where they were suppose to go. Marvin would of been closer.

Old 03-11-2014, 11:22 AM

136 posts, read 179,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
Were you replying to me...
My apologies, meant for nchammer but the buttons on this phone are too dang small. Mets fan already sorted it out.
I don't trust a word that comes out of the BOE or the BoCC. Furthermore, it seems that every time either of them speak, it ends up costing me tax $. In this case, I have #'s ( and it reassures me to check their math ). Like a good conservative, 'trust, but verify.'
Millbridge doesn't help the debate either way, I think it's one of the few things done right. About our new FB activists; I don't think we can turn our school system over to HOA's from big developments. Their time is better spent voting on where you can put your swing set and when you can mow your lawn.
I want bureaucrats that can efficiently run the county's services, and I want politicians accountable for successes and abject failures.

Old 03-11-2014, 11:24 AM

6,321 posts, read 10,269,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GONYMETS View Post
Accommodated ? The front section was never moving just like ankiln forest, quellin,cureton only the back side Which has 24 elementary kids that half can't even go to the school on their own property?. Again theONLY community split. Also even the backside is over 11 miles away from where they were suppose to go. Marvin would of been closer.
Whatever you want to call it, including all of Millbridge was the only boundary changed from the original plan. That's not bashing, it's stating a fact. In fact many people here have done exactly the opposite of bashing, congratulating Millbridge and criticizing the other board members for not fighting more for other neighborhoods.

Old 03-11-2014, 11:46 AM

98 posts, read 163,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
What happened to being cool and going with the flow?

I did look closely - Millbridge is currently 2 separate communities on 2 giant parcels of land with 2 separate entrances. No other community has that unique feature - that's why you wouldn't find any other examples. Millbridge was accommodated on the condition they build a road connecting the 2 separate communities. These are facts regardless of how you want to spin them. Why are being defensive about this?

and 2007 lines being "original"... really?
Have you ever seen 2 communities with the same name on the same property? No. Reason for that is because when the recession hit in 2009 Cuthbertson was ready to open and they knew it would cost to much to operate since the building process slowed down. So they re drew the lines to put kids in the school. I'm not sure if there was an over crowding issue in 2009. But in order to keep selling homes prices were lowered. So property was still bought high so couldn't drop housing prices and build on higher taxed lots. That's why the back section was started. That probably wasn't supposed to be started until the front was finished like every other neighborhood. If all was still strong back in 2009 I'm sure by now there would be some new schools. I used to live in Indian trail and went to Sun Valley and never had a problem there. Yes it's an old school that needs repairs. But aside from that the teachers and staff were great. I hear people talk about lower and poor homes in certain areas?? When I was in Indian trail the price points were good all over. Every area has lower prices. Every neighborhood had to adjust. Has anybody driven down near the Parkwood area? I've seen very nice homes on acres that are just amazing. And I'm sure they are expensive. I guess some get accustomed to a way of life and don't want to change. I've seen some so stubborn because they say oh ME and MY wife/husband could never live THERE but guess what? I know a few that had that attitude and lost their houses to foreclosure in the Rich neighborhoods and now bounce around renting. And yes they have to rent in neighborhoods they still can't afford because they are to proud. So they move every 6 months when they can pay their rent. Sometimes we all have to look outside of ME and MY and look at the BIG picture THEM (our kids) just my opinion. I have no ill will towards anybody here. Just wish the "oh Millbridge got excused" comments would stop.

Old 03-11-2014, 11:47 AM

343 posts, read 597,473 times
The road to connect the two sides of Millbridge has been planned for a while now. It's not like it was just introduced because of this redistricting. I am proud of my neighborhood for presenting a reasonable argument and for finding someone to advocate for us.

Old 03-11-2014, 01:30 PM

398 posts, read 612,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nchammer View Post
so in your mind its ok to give the BOE a pass for not listening to "valid" arguments because their email box was too full? really?
i think they listened to everyone. And heard several messages loud and clear. The fact that they did not agree and opted for a different solution does not mean they did not listen.

Old 03-11-2014, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nchammer View Post
that makes no sense....I don't live there, but how can one neighborhood dictate where they are going? I guess you are insinuating that WO was somehow given the choice of "if you be quiet you will go to Parkwood with the rest of the Cuthbertson people, but if you fight it, you get to go to sun valley"? When the original lines were drawn, the WO neighborhood was slotted for SV, not Parkwood. That's an oversight on the facilities committee, not the residents. Some speakers brought up the fact they were moving alone to SV. so the BOE should have proactively corrected it. There were MANY neighborhoods that campaigned to stay where they were, yet to only accommodation was given to the Millbridge neighborhood
You are correct. Many neighborhoods did campaign. I just think that Millbridge had a better campaign strategy. I can still recall...24 kids, connecting road, one community... presented factually with no emotion. And their "lobbying" wasn't confined to the meetings. From what I understand, they were very cohesive and presented themselves very professionally.

Can't recall any messaging from other neighborhoods

Last edited by raithfan; 03-11-2014 at 02:11 PM..

Old 03-11-2014, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GONYMETS View Post
Let me clarify something that " A Lot" of people seem to forget. Millbridge was NOT accommodated. Everybody is bashing this community and it's BS already. Everyone wants to look at MAPS? Good. Look closely then. Millbridge happens to be the "Furthest" yes that's right the furthest from where everyone keeps saying we should go. It's 12 miles and that's from the main entrance. Marvin is 3.6 miles and Cuthbertson is 4 . As far as the amendment everyone is complaining about. Millbridge was also the ONLY community split in half. So it only makes sense they wanted to stay together. If they cut every neighborhood in half you would have an argument . But they didn't. I'm not for all this stuff going on but it's getting old that all the blame is on Millbridge. Go look at the lines from 2007 and you will see where you ORIGINALLY went. That should be everyone argument if that's what you choose to do. Everyone is saying Millbridge is so big well what about Lawson? They just blew out across the street from them even though the one side is no where near done. Any questions about that? Nope. Heck what if Lawson filled Cuthbertson would everyone feel ok with that? I get how close they are and good for them. But stop throwing Millbridge out there like we are the problem. Build Cuthbertson Elementary and put a couple of mobiles at Marvin Middle Problem solved for a few years maybe. Look at the main problem causing this, it's Kensington. My neighbors can't even go to the school on Millbridge property? Lawson has 236 kids enrolled there. Like I said build Cuthbertson Elementary and you might see a big difference. But we all need to work TOGETHER not AGAINST each other .
Settle down Beavis...I'm a fan!

Old 03-11-2014, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooLogical View Post
Agree with you here. There were lots of good arguments at the hearings. Several of the neighborhoods could have stayed in their current cluster. The problem was that all that noise happened first, for weeks, in massive waves and with lots of incorrect info, accusations, and emotional pleas.

And I definitely don't let the BOE off the hook. They botched this from day one. But, they had heard so much noise, it was hard to pull out the rational arguments. They had enough. When the BOE announced the 2 public hearings followed the next day by their BOE meeting, it was evident to a lot of people that they wanted it over and were going to push it through in a shorter timeframe. The hearings were a show and those great arguments fell on deaf ears.

Similarly, right now there are lots of people filling out the transfer forms. Many are going to use the same reason?!?!?!?!?! That's going to inundate UCPS with lots of invalid/emotional requests and some of the valid requests could be lost in the shuffle. Working parents that can't pick up their kids in time from after school, exceptional children that need specific care, etc. It makes it harder for the system to separate the real issues from the fabricators.
This is my fear. That good people, with VALID reasons are going to get lost in the noise as people try to "clog the machine". I hope not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte