Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2014, 01:14 PM

398 posts, read 619,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaHelms View Post
http://citizensforadequatepublicscho...E_Exhibits.pdf

Exhibit C shows Hillegas' and Bernards' public information requests. They read more like Request for Production of Documents in a lawsuit than public information requests. It is unduly burdensome to expect more than a dozen people to provide all texts, voicemails, instant messages, emails, personal notes, meeting materials, documents, etc. on a score of topics. No wonder their public information requests hasn't been answered yet. I for one don't like money being wasted on UCPS employees spending weeks answering questions for individuals going on a fishing expedition.
Precisely. A fishing expedition. Hours of work so one person can hope to get (or cause) a "gotcha".

Old 03-25-2014, 01:23 PM

18 posts, read 22,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raithfan View Post
Precisely. A fishing expedition. Hours of work so one person can hope to get (or cause) a "gotcha".
And another reason CAPS loses the vast majority of UC residents. Most residents do not want our administration to have to spend their time on this. They want it focused on actually educating our children and improving our schools.

Old 03-25-2014, 01:29 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,029,147 times
wow - look at that exhibit... So when the judge rules they don't have to produce this laundry list, what then?

I don't get it.

Old 03-25-2014, 01:39 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,029,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaxhawMike View Post
So to you a "neighborhood school" is defined as all kids in the neighborhood going to the same school no matter how far away it is?

As hard as it is to swallow, I can get past the obvious agenda, political motivation, and disengenous tactics of the BOE. What I can't stand is when ordinary citizens, assuming that's what the supporters of the plan on this site are, blindly following Yercheck's lead.

Let's assume for a minute that every single person in UC agreed that redistricting was necessary. Fine. That doesn't change the facts of the situation.
  • BOE did not uphold their core values
  • BOE violated the neighborhood schools concept
  • Administration changed their story on MCR's (we can do it.... remember)
  • The definition of "Core Capacity" (and the related watch/cap levels) and the calculation was misleading... and to this day makes no sense what so ever. How is it possible that a school (Prospect in this example) can add 17% more students between watch and cap, but CHS can only add 5.5%?
  • Busing kids further is not free to tax payers... bottom line
  • Less than full transparency to the process, specifically the safety committee
  • Planned vote, to the surprise of at least 2 BOE members
  • BOE and Administration have not been forthcoming in responding to FOI requests
Again, assuming redistricting was needed and agreed to by all citizens, I can't for the life of me understand how people here can defend the actions of this bunch of clowns.
Mike - these "facts" are pretty silly and I don't get your expected end game. You need to focus your obvious hate for the BOE towards the elections.

- core values? /slap wrist, naughty
- violated neighborhood schools concept? say what?!
- trailers? administration said they could do it - BOE said no. what's the issue?
- capacity... they set it, you don't like it.
- the Savage play! brilliant... it's free to the county.
- they are within legal rights and I never heard of a safety committee.
- planned? the 2 BOE members "surprised" are to blame.
- FOI? did you see that list?! should they do what, hire someone to comply?

There's no smoking gun here... being bad at ones job is not grounds for legal action. You fire them and hire someone else.

Old 03-25-2014, 01:39 PM

527 posts, read 744,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
wow - look at that exhibit... So when the judge rules they don't have to produce this laundry list, what then?

I don't get it.
The judge can rule UCPS and the BOE exempt from FOI?... um, no. Can only rule against expediting.

Old 03-25-2014, 01:41 PM

631 posts, read 892,514 times
http://citizensforadequatepublicscho...E_Exhibits.pdf

Who are we kidding? The ultimate goal of the plaintiff's is to have the judge pick one of the alternatives in Exhibit G. It would be fun to have the judge review the options and say "You can't do that!"

Old 03-25-2014, 01:46 PM

just to get us started on the next 100 pages...

The North Carolina Public Records Law is designed to guarantee that the public has access to public records of governmental bodies in North Carolina. The first statute was passed in 1935. Records include all documents, no matter the physical form, "made or received pursuant to law or ordinance in connection with the transaction of public business by any agency."
Anyone can request public records and no statement of purpose is required. There are no restrictions placed on the use of records and there is no time limit for a response. Section § 132-6 of the North Carolina Public Records Law states that a custodian of public records shall make them available "at reasonable times and under reasonable supervision by any person, and shall, as promptly as possible, furnish copies thereof upon payment of any fees as may be prescribed by law."
Public Records Law G.S. §132-1
Exempt: Confidential legal communications; criminal investigations; and intelligence information.

Old 03-25-2014, 01:51 PM

527 posts, read 744,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
Mike - these "facts" are pretty silly and I don't get your expected end game. You need to focus your obvious hate for the BOE towards the elections.

- core values? /slap wrist, naughty
- violated neighborhood schools concept? say what?!
- trailers? administration said they could do it - BOE said no. what's the issue?
- capacity... they set it, you don't like it.
- the Savage play! brilliant... it's free to the county.
- they are within legal rights and I never heard of a safety committee.
- planned? the 2 BOE members "surprised" are to blame.
- FOI? did you see that list?! should they do what, hire someone to comply?

There's no smoking gun here... being bad at ones job is not grounds for legal action. You fire them and hire someone else.
You could have started and stopped by saying you never heard of the safety committee... tells me all I need to know. Much like your understanding of FOI.

Old 03-25-2014, 01:53 PM

this is a favorite... G.S 132-9

[SIZE=3](d) If the court determines that an action brought pursuant to this section was filed in bad faith or was frivolous, the court shall assess a reasonable attorney's fee against the person or persons instituting the action and award it to the public agency as part of the costs. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]Can't we all just get along...[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]

Old 03-25-2014, 01:53 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,427,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCTaxPayer View Post
Which it's perfectly ok with the ones fighting it as long as it's not THEIR child in that shed with the leaky roof! These sheds with the leaky roofs were put off and put off while schools were built on the western side of the county with the proverbial excuse "sorry, we don't have any more money to fix your leaky roofs, fire alarms that don't work, bleachers that might fall down while full of parents/students and you might break a leg or worse during that fall, to rid your school of mold etcetcetc" with a little condescending pat on the head to boot. This group is more than willing to keep spending taxpayer money to continue this fight while the older schools repairs still go on the back burner. If you want to blame someone for this redistricting and your falling home values then blame the right freaking people, go stand in front of your local municipality town councils and demand THEY fix your overcrowding issue by putting a moratorium on issuing those building permits with the developers they are in bed with. Local municipalities accounted for 70% of the building permits last year, NOT the BOCC and most certainly NOT the BOE. They are only having to have to deal with the mess created by YOUR local governments, y'all voted these people into power NOT the rest of Union County. This group sucked up to Frank Akimus patting him on the back, hailing him a hero and sucking at his teat when he was spouting lies out both sides of his mouth. It just pumped up his ego so much that hey, I can take over the fixing of the schools, building of the schools and get us out of that $91 million dollar judgment by doing so! So what did that accomplish, splintering and pushing the BOCC and the BOE even further apart and making a budget negotiation for next year once again a living nightmare for UCPS/BOE to get funding in order to actually get things repaired once again. Yea, that group deserves a big ole pat on the back, sarcasm intended.
LOL simply love posts like this. Every time someone points to what goes on over on FB, I look at things like this and chuckle.

Here's some facts. In 2006, $174mil in bonds were PASSED by voters in the UC by a 60% margin. There were no "demands" for new schools, the sitting BOE (pre current BOI), proposed this bond package that was approved to go to vote by the BOCC.

In that package there was money for:

• Three elementary schools and 1 mid/high school cluster (Cuthbertson)
  • A design package for additions, renovations for New Salem ES
  • Monroe High's stadium
  • Weddington's Football Stadium upgrades as it became a 4A school
  • New Transportation Faclitiy
  • Classroom additions at Marvin ES
  • Design Packages for new ES M&N (neither have been built)
  • Design Packages for new MS/HS Cluster (at Porter Ridge, has not been built)
  • Additions and renovations for Wesley Chapel Elementary
Don't see any money here for roofs, but had there been, I am pretty sure that it would have passed. BTW both Collins and Crowder were on this board, and VOTED FOR this package.....

Now let's look at something else:

This is from the minutes of the June 20, 2006 BOE board meeting.

'"Dr. Davis reported that the county commissioners fully funded the operational budget for UCPS, and all but $1 million of the capital budget."

Was there money in that budget for leaky roofs? If so, it was approved by the BOCC except for $1mil. If it wasn't in the budget, then whose fault is that? The people that you seem to constantly blame for the leaky roofs not being fixed? So since 2006, there has not been 1 request for a new school. Cluster D was shelved as was ES I & L (I think), even though the money was approved for it. Eight years have gone by, don't you think that if the BOE thought your leaky roofs were a priority, then they would have gotten some money out of the county for it? In testimony given at the trial, it was mentioned that the BOE in fact asked for money for the roof and that ask was approved, yet the BOE used the money for other purposes???

Now, lets go a bit further. This $174mil that was passed by 60% of the voters (btw, I don't think that 60% of the county just lives in Waxhaw, but I could be wrong about that.) was passed based on the county’s attempt to restrict growth. The BOCC had just lifted a 15-month moratorium on subdivision permits to pass an Adequate Public Facilities ordinance. The APO was to force developers into either delaying construction until area schools are built or paying a fee of $15,000 per new home. Rather than waiting for schools to be built, the developers would have simply payed the fee and then pass it along to any newcomer's in the form of higher prices. With the APO in effect, the taxpayers of the UC went along supporting a school bond as long as they believed that the county’s school construction burden would soon fall on someone else’s shoulders, namely developers and newcomers. But then what happened? The BOCC wrote a sorry APO that was so full of loopholes that it was totally trashed in court. Coincidence? Don't know, but did the BOCC may any attempt to strengthen the APO? Has any sitting BOCC tried to do another APO? NO. They have sat idly by until the lid flew off the pot, and now 5800 kids have to go sit in the shed with leaky roofs because Raithfan's granny wants to sit in the front room and watch Wheel of Fortune. (no offense to Raithfan or his granny).

There's plenty of blame to go around. The BOE are about as dysfunctional and leaderless as they come. I've never seen as bigger bunch of egotistical people that couldn't solve the daily jumble if their lives were in the balance. The BOCC never has been more than a bunch of political hacks and major player wannabees. Each town has their own extra special politicians that are better suited for clean up duty after the annual pokeberry equestrian parade than running any type of municipality.

As for this fight, parents have the right to do what they feel is best for their kids. I wouldn't begin to tell you how best to parent your kids, nor would I ever except criticism from you on my parenting decisions. Those that sit on the sidelines during this and poke at those that are standing up for their kids have little credibility. They've done more to drive a wedge between neighbors and neighborhoods than any amount of social media postings, protests or lawsuits. As for taxpayers picking up the tab for this fight. This long time UC taxpayer has no problem with it. If there is no oversight with the current BOI, then darn right I support anyone that stands up to their assclownery. I've said it before, I would have been more than happy to join the fight against leaky roofs had I been made aware that this was as significant of an issue as it seems to be. However, since I've been called a white racists elitist snob, I'll probably just sit that one out.

Last edited by jlat; 03-25-2014 at 02:04 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte