Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2014, 03:30 PM

51 posts, read 74,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooLogical View Post
Welcome Sean!

Thanks for joining and putting yourself out here.
Thanks, I hope to engage in the forum, learn from those with knowledge on shared topics, explain my positions when asked and clear up some misrepresentations if the situations arise.

I have been reading through the forum, will take me some time to catch up but so far city-data is very interesting to say the least.

Old 05-12-2014, 03:32 PM

124 posts, read 162,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMAHER View Post
Thanks, I hope to engage in the forum, learn from those with knowledge on shared topics, explain my positions when asked and clear up some misrepresentations if the situations arise.

I have been reading through the forum, will take me some time to catch up but so far city-data is very interesting to say the least.
Welcome to the forum Sean!

Old 05-12-2014, 03:44 PM

136 posts, read 181,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaHelms View Post
Looks like CAPSMEMBER is picking our brains.
Quote:
Originally Posted by waxhawdoc View Post
And CAPS goes on like a zombie - angry, vicious, and searching for brains.
At least we're talking about brains for once...

We'll know that CAPS has a change of heart when it has a change of leadership. I think the 'deafening roar' they expected turned out to be a muffled complaint at the polls last week. Now some have decided to let some outside air into the echo chamber. I'm all for civic engagement, and I hope our new CAPS friends learn to effect government positively as a vocal minority - not issue empty threats about payback when they win the helm.

We3 has become Me1, and there will be no steamroller on the BOE. Time to learn the art of coalition-building. They ran on a rebranding strategy, let's see it! No Trojan Horse will get past this group.

Old 05-12-2014, 03:54 PM

46 posts, read 68,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCTaxPayer View Post
Interesting, when the page was initially put up the goal was $1200. Now that there has been $1120 in contributions the goal has been changed to $2500. Now I have to wonder as one of the main CAPS people demanded that loans to campaigns must be repaid before the election, I think they were scrutinizing Clint as he loaned $8000 to his campaign and I think someone else's previous campaign, anyway, it'd be curious to know if Tracy's $5000 loan to her previous campaign run has been paid back and if Lance's $1500 loan has been paid back. It was demanded that it be paid back with donations and contributions to the candidate. Just an interesting thought.
Tracy spent $5,000, but Stony didn't even send out mailers and still managed to beat her.

She may have 13 people support her runoff, but that doesn't mean she has support to win. It's the same people I've seen on other threads who can't accept the fact that the county won't change for them. The same people who are going to vote for Sandra Peterson for sheriff because animals are more important than people. The same people who complain that the county won't pay for new schools, but at the same time want to make the BOE pay to defend their lawsuit. Now they want to make the tax payers pay for a runoff election, because gosh darnit, they have lost property values and hate the fact that they don't have Southpark style shops and restaurants in downtown Waxhaw.

Old 05-12-2014, 04:02 PM

43 posts, read 57,027 times
hello all! I am a lurker here and have been around for quite some time. I have wanted to post several times, but time and work have kept me lurking and holding my opinions to myself. I have been keeping up with both sides of the debate (here and on FB) as my children have been redistricted and will be changing schools this fall. I so enjoy reading this site as calm, logical, and civil (ish) debate seems to prevail here....haha. I enjoy that there are folks here posting from both sides that seem logical and respectful.

My family is moving forward and trying to help our children get excited about the new school, new friends, and new community. Teaching my children to adapt to new situations is a skill I am constantly teaching them; I was hoping I wouldn't have to teach it to them on this scale at this point in their lives; however, it is a critical life skill, & I believe it is inevitable if you know anything about the county and its growth....so we are embracing it. We also knew we were buying into a county school system when we moved here almost a decade ago from Charlotte, not into any particular school. Will I embrace another redistrict in three years? Not likely. I am a fan of a long-term solution; however, I believe that at this point the false hopes brought on the by the CAPS initiative makes life for the children trying to move on more difficult. I often hear people complaining that CAPS does not represent all of Union County as they say, but I wonder if CAPS realizes that they do not even represent the 5800 redistricted? Maybe that is not their goal, but if it is they are misdirecting their energies.

I could not agree more that the energy and effort going into CAPS and litigious matters would be better spent on impacting the community and our schools for positive change.

I will say this....I do find this this crew quite interesting and fun - I am pretty convinced some of you are BOE or BOCC members (which I think is great because you can feel out what people really think without them worrying about who you are). Others here I'm fairly certain are some of those attacked on the FB sites (God bless you for having the guts to speak your mind in that format). I love the random profiles people create sometimes to send a message (usually about Stewart), but it's like whoever does that thinks we're not intelligent enough to figure that out for ourselves, which is just annoying. Also, don't they know we are smart enough to tell when they create a new profile just to look like a new person? I am also pretty sure that our CAPSMEMBER is a main player or main player's spouse at the very least....no facts here, so please don't brow beat me. These are just my impressions based on my experience reading posts on both ends for a long time.

I could be very wrong, but regardless.....it seems we have many intelligent people on this site from both "sides" who could truly make a POSITIVE difference in the long term (without suing & wasting any more tax dollars & without expecting elected officials to resign or reverse decisions). You cannot have a meaningful dialogue with people you are attacking/stalking/spamming/suing- they have to be on guard because you are attacking/stalking/spamming/suing them (gosh, there were so many more I could include, but I will stop there). If you want to have a meaningful dialogue - drop the suit and start moving forward in a positive direction.

Sean - glad to see you over here - I think you are a good guy, & I have a lot of respect for you.

and Jimmyd - I love your posts, but it is tired of me trying to increase your rep as well

Look forward to piping in more often.

Old 05-12-2014, 04:35 PM

631 posts, read 892,576 times
Lots of new faces! Welcome aboard. I've found this to be a great place to chat although we always have some oddballs here and there. (Myself included).

One thing that makes this forum effective is our moderator. If people start posting with multiple user names, if someone attacks a person, name calling, etc you could see the site close for a period of time and the comments removed. It really does help.

Old 05-12-2014, 04:46 PM

398 posts, read 619,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooLogical View Post
Lots of new faces! Welcome aboard. I've found this to be a great place to chat although we always have some oddballs here and there. (Myself included).

One thing that makes this forum effective is our moderator. If people start posting with multiple user names, if someone attacks a person, name calling, etc you could see the site close for a period of time and the comments removed. It really does help.
As TooLogical just said...beware of Sunny, keeper of the flame. And as oddball-in-chief I have been swatted more than once.

Great perspective from all the new folks. Sean, I think you will find very reasoned discussion about you on here. Look forward to hearing more. Let's keep it civil...if you just feel the need to explode I have some great FB links. Hope....great letter. I've normally gotten notes like yours in DMs. It refreshing to see your great attitude.

Time for dinner....

Old 05-12-2014, 04:47 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,628,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaxhawMike View Post
LOL, right on cue with the deflection... no debate around the real issues, just another illustration of people that ignore reality and struggle with simple logic and reading comprehension.
What issue? If you wish to have an honest debate, then make some sort of point and we will discuss it. I have yet to see you do this.

Old 05-12-2014, 04:49 PM

398 posts, read 619,088 times
Hope...also, sorry you have to go thru the stress of a school move but I hope you and your kids find a great experience at your new school(s?).

Old 05-12-2014, 05:01 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,628,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPSMEMBER View Post
You guys have it right, I'm here to see what the redistricting supporters think, and maybe to answer some some questions about CAPS. .....
"Redistricting supporter" is a label that you are using to incorrectly characterizes anyone who doesn't support or agree with CAPS. It's more equivalence logic that attempts to legitimize CAPS where no legitimacy is deserved. The courts have ruled against you and you have cost this county plenty in costs for the nonsense and the decisive tactics.

The point, as I have said several times now isn't that you are for or against it. I assume that most wish they didn't have to do it. The point is that most have accepted redistricting as a necessary facet of a school system dealing with growth and not enough money to build new schools. It's happened, people have accepted it, and have moved on.

I don't like to speak for other people, but I don't think anyone you are calling a "redistricting supporter" has any questions about CAPS. We already know where you are coming from and where you are going.

IMO, if you guys want some legitimacy then it's time you close down the organization, quit trying to stir up a hornets nest, accept the reassignment, and if you are concerned about the future, work to manage the issues that caused it to happen.

Last edited by WaldoKitty; 05-12-2014 at 05:05 PM.. Reason: clarity
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte