Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2014, 08:14 AM

631 posts, read 892,514 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by waxhawnewbie1 View Post
Kitty, I agree with you, but there are degrees with everything. The UC BOE has always been pretty activist, moving kids around every few years. It's getting worse as the purse strings tighten up and federal funds and the like become more and more tied to lousy "objective" performance standards.

Be very, very careful talking about "first world problems" and mocking the "plight" of those driving a few extra miles in their SUVs. If kids get hurt in those few miles next year, you don't want to be the one standing there taunting them. Driving is the most dangerous thing we do every day, and the BOE seems more concerned about a rash of tornadoes.

Remember, the whole county is going through this for SUV drivers and the like who haven't even moved in to our western mega-neighborhoods yet. Unfortunately, "for the good of all" mainly means for the good of them. Pretty soon we are going to be paying for entire clusters for single neighborhoods.

If you can get millions for dumping coffee on yourself, there's a chance redistricting might not be such a sure thing. And if I was the BOE, I wouldn't start counting my $91 million just yet.
They were activist for building new schools??? That's what nearly all of the past redistricts were about, so I'm not sure how that's social engineering. If anything, there'd be a claim of the opposite. Why didn't the east and rural areas get the new schools to balance everyone out?

I always struggle with the "people who haven't even moved in yet" argument. How many new homes and neighborhoods have been built after PRHS, MRHS and CHS and so many other schools opened? If you built a house AFTER those schools were opened then you are also part of the problem. You hadn't moved in yet, but they saved you a seat. I posted a long time ago, that if people really want to take that stance, the solution should be we pull up everyone's closing date for their house, and the oldest owners get to pick their school first. There would be a whole bunch of people including some plaintiffs that moved into UC in the past 2-5 years (after the new schools were up) that would be eating their words.

We moved in 12 years ago and we were certainly part of the problem that caused the demand for the new schools. My street is packed with kids that all hit the elementary school within 2 years of each other.

Old 05-22-2014, 09:22 AM

631 posts, read 892,514 times
Timely article in the Observer today about the growth in Charlotte and surrounding areas
Census numbers show Charlotte now 16th largest city in U.S. by population | CharlotteObserver.com
"Union County towns near the Mecklenburg line, such as Waxhaw, Indian Trail and Stallings, remain a lure for residents, Chesser said. But some of the region’s growth is shifting across the state line.

After Waxhaw, the South Carolina towns of Tega Cay, Fort Mill and Lancaster had the highest growth rate in the area last year. Easy access to U.S. 521 and jobs around the Ballantyne area help stoke that growth, Chesser said."

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/201...estimates.html
This is a neat interactive map. The one on the left has a big dark green circle on Waxhaw with its 9.2% growth from '12-'13.

Old 05-23-2014, 07:42 AM

549 posts, read 680,439 times
What we've all been waiting for---a CAPS update:
Latest Developments | Citizens For Adequate Public Schools | Union County Residents Fighting To Protect All Of Our Children
CAPS Finalizes Legal Strategy

Posted on May 22, 2014 by Site Admin

CAPS finalizes legal strategy and updates our community.
CAPS would like to update the community on our legal case against the Union County Board of Education. Since the BOE’s March 4th 2014 vote to redistrict, CAPS and our community had decided that this action was unwarranted, outrageous, unacceptable and as we intend to prove, illegal.
We have heard your stories of neighbors leaving Union County, parents having to explain to their children that they can no longer keep their current school mates and the worry of extended bus routes and safety issues. We also understand that overcrowding is an issue for some of our schools but the BOE’s plan does nothing, except kick the can down the road. Also, the BOE plan puts additional stress on our older schools, some of which are still waiting for much needed repairs.
Since the commencement of the discovery process, CAPS, its officers, volunteer parent-attorneys, its legal team and some of our brightest community members have been pouring over 2,700 discovery documents. In the last month alone parent volunteers have devoted at least 1,000 hours looking into this material, as well as building some very interesting narratives that have developed. CAPS has pooled all of this information and we now believe we have our plan in place to move forward.
Based on information gained from Discovery as well as the continuing supply of information and documentation we are receiving from fellow parents, we believe we have a very strong case.
While the schedule is still being worked on, outside counsel is currently in the process of sending our deposition requests and questions to the BOE attorneys. We expect the BOE to make these witnesses available in a timely manner. Once the depositions are completed, we will immediately schedule a hearing for the preliminary injunction. It is also possible the judge could order us into mediation.
Our plan is in place and we are ready to move forward. We will continue to keep our community updated as we move through this final push.
Finally, while we are confident in our position, we still need your help! Our target for our legal fund was $80,000 and we are just under 50% of the way there. There has been an incredible amount of time donated by parent/attorneys and regular parents alike. However, if we are going to be able to see this through to the end, we need to raise additional funds. Please consider donating to CAPS as we move forward toward the finish line.

Old 05-23-2014, 07:46 AM

549 posts, read 680,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaHelms View Post
To summarize---CAPS needs more of your money.

Old 05-23-2014, 08:09 AM

113 posts, read 150,136 times
Quote:
That was my interpretation of the “Press Release” as well. We do not have anything of any real substance – but would like to continue fishing. Please send money – and by the way – you will also need to fund the attorneys for the BOE – but this will simply be applied via a tax increase.

Old 05-23-2014, 08:45 AM

136 posts, read 181,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyd1 View Post
That was my interpretation of the “Press Release” as well. We do not have anything of any real substance – but would like to continue fishing. Please send money – and by the way – you will also need to fund the attorneys for the BOE – but this will simply be applied via a tax increase.
The Defendant's motion to dismiss and answer requests that attorney's fees and costs be awarded... CAPS fundraising is still needed, please give! (Don't pass this cost on to the generous taxpayers, we'd rather spend $ on schools). I'm glad CAPS will be able to pick up the tab.

Old 05-23-2014, 09:59 AM

527 posts, read 744,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmarti78 View Post
Why won't those that harp on Parkwood's test scores give a theory as to why they're lower? It's shockingly easy to see why. Parkwood won academic awards as recently as 2007. Cuthbertson opened in 2009 and took the wealthier parts of Parkwood along with them. Wealth has a correlation with better test scores because parents can afford things like tutors easier. Why is this is a difficult concept for people? With many of those same areas coming back to Parkwood, isn't it reasonable to expect scores to rebound to where they were before?
If the wealthiest part of Parkwood was sent to Cuthbertson then how can, as we've been told in this thread, the home values be comporable? Don't wealthier people typically spend more on homes? I'm having a hard time finding my way through this maze of logic provided by supporters of the "plan".

It's funny to see someone mention 2007 as recent. When we toured PHS a month or so ago they had a banner hanging showcasing they won an NC school of excellence award in........ 2005.

Old 05-23-2014, 10:02 AM

527 posts, read 744,628 times
Quote:
As someone that has been outspoken and supportive (financially and otherwise) of CAPS, I'm extremely disappointed in this latest update. If they've got something they need to spill it or they'll never reach the $80k. It's silly to think they are hiding their strategy from the BOE attorney when they are about to submit their deposition questions that will cover everything they've discovered anyway.

Old 05-23-2014, 10:27 AM

113 posts, read 150,136 times
Yes – While not a supporter – If I were a supporter - Prior to sending in more money I would want to understand their game plan. I get the sense they are stuck. What does their timeline look like ? They have been raising funds for quite some time and are currently at 44% percent of the goal – based on current run rate – school will be in session prior to reaching 100% - how far can they go with what they have ? How much have they spent? If I send in $100 and they do not raise $80k – what happens to my money ? If they do raise the $80k – how far will that get them ? What if I send in money and the motion to dismiss is granted? Do I get a refund – or do they have the right to reallocate as they see fit.

Just seems like a money pit that has not returned anything for the investment.

Old 05-23-2014, 10:55 AM

149 posts, read 536,079 times
It's almost seeming a bit manipulative at this point - periodic vague accusations dangled to encourage donations from desperate,upset people. CAPS is actually quite NON transparent, ironic considering the accusations they have made about the BOE. I wonder how many more months it will take them to publish their long promised financial disclosures.

Outside of the dramatic and horror filled world of the FB pages, many I have spoken to have moved on to acceptance, and are actually excited about their new schools. I think actually visiting and speaking with current parents of the new schools has alleviated alot of the fear. It makes me happy for the kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte