Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2013, 12:29 AM

2 posts, read 4,530 times

Advertisements

Hej all!

Gonna do something big for my lady in the approximation of 1 month. I'd like to take her to a jazz club or somewhere where there is live jazz and possibly food? Ideal attire is casual to dress casual and preferably on a Sunday night.. Any suggestions? Google isn't doing too much justice for me atm.

Thanks in Advance~

:O)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2013, 06:08 AM

1,462 posts, read 2,959,088 times
Vapianos is nice on a Saturday night

Old 12-27-2013, 05:33 PM

2,152 posts, read 6,801,149 times
There's a place called the Jazz Café in Ayrsley and maybe one in the University area also. I've never been and can't seem to find their website on Google, but there's a few links with their addresses.

Hope that helps.

Old 12-28-2013, 01:03 PM

645 posts, read 1,069,216 times
Dinner and Jazz music on most Fridays and Saturdays may still be "Blue" restaurant. It's uptown and up-pricey.

Old 12-29-2013, 08:47 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,806,558 times
As a huge smooth jazz fan...the jazz scene in Charlotte is a joke!

Old 12-29-2013, 09:35 PM

645 posts, read 1,069,216 times
You shoulda seen it twenty years ago! There was almost nothing! Occasional sets in Freedom Park.

You're not going to hear much live smooth jazz in Charlotte except at weddings. Most of the live jazz I've heard in Charlotte is mainstream, hard playin'. There aren't many outlets for most live music in Charlotte, but the vast majority of the guys I've heard are top notch players. And YOUNG!

In the Spring, stay tuned to the Phillips Place concerts. Last summer, I saw Arturo Sandoval (a Cuban defector from the early '80's) play the best mainstream and Afro-Cuban set I've heard since Dizzy Gillespie passed on.

I am waiting for Charlotte to host a Jazz and Heritage fair out at the racetrack. There are so many incredible and majorly INFLUENTIAL jazz players from North Carolina: Pianist Thelonius Monk from Rock Mount, NC; tenor saxophonist John Coltrane from Hamlet, NC; Trumpeter Woody Shaw from Laurinburg, NC; Drummer Max Roach and dozens others. Dizzy (I think) was from Cheraw, SC.

On the West side, there's Excalibur. There are a couple clubs uptown, and keep your eyes peeled for musicians appearing at The Music Factory and the Double Door. If you want jazz in Charlotte, patronize the few clubs we have. NC has a rich history and tradition of producing monstrously great players. There's certainly a whole stable of them chompin' at the bit waiting to be heard, but we've got to create the market for them to have venues to play in.

Apologies for going a little off-topic, but I am as passionate about jazz as i am about sports.

Old 12-30-2013, 05:50 AM

3,866 posts, read 4,279,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryBGood View Post
You shoulda seen it twenty years ago! There was almost nothing! Occasional sets in Freedom Park.

You're not going to hear much live smooth jazz in Charlotte except at weddings. Most of the live jazz I've heard in Charlotte is mainstream, hard playin'. There aren't many outlets for most live music in Charlotte, but the vast majority of the guys I've heard are top notch players. And YOUNG!

In the Spring, stay tuned to the Phillips Place concerts. Last summer, I saw Arturo Sandoval (a Cuban defector from the early '80's) play the best mainstream and Afro-Cuban set I've heard since Dizzy Gillespie passed on.

I am waiting for Charlotte to host a Jazz and Heritage fair out at the racetrack. There are so many incredible and majorly INFLUENTIAL jazz players from North Carolina: Pianist Thelonius Monk from Rock Mount, NC; tenor saxophonist John Coltrane from Hamlet, NC; Trumpeter Woody Shaw from Laurinburg, NC; Drummer Max Roach and dozens others. Dizzy (I think) was from Cheraw, SC.

On the West side, there's Excalibur. There are a couple clubs uptown, and keep your eyes peeled for musicians appearing at The Music Factory and the Double Door. If you want jazz in Charlotte, patronize the few clubs we have. NC has a rich history and tradition of producing monstrously great players. There's certainly a whole stable of them chompin' at the bit waiting to be heard, but we've got to create the market for them to have venues to play in.

Apologies for going a little off-topic, but I am as passionate about jazz as i am about sports.
Great post and on point. Given Charlotte's size and demographic composition, there should be more venues and options for live jazz and live music in general. I think as the city continues to grow that'll happen organically in and around the city much like it has in larger metros like Dallas, Atlanta and Houston. Midsize metros that are known for live music offerings (Austin, Nashville, etc) are not the norm. As you mentioned, Charlotte 10 years ago is much different than Charlotte today. For instance, the craft beer market has exploded and moving up in the ranks to compete with Asheville, RDU, etc. It was rather pitiful 10-15 years ago.

I think in the next 10 years you'll see things like downtown retail and consistent live music options finally blossom in the metro...nothing on the scale of Austin but representative for an area with over 2.5 million+ MSA.

Old 12-30-2013, 12:22 PM

550 posts, read 1,808,870 times
Jazz clubs? not really.
Jazz events? Sure!

Bechtler Museum was voted in Creative Loafing as the "best Jazz club" thanks to its Jazz at the Bechtler series - Bechtler Museum of Modern Art - Programs - Jazz at the Bechtler

Then there is the Jazz Room series held at the Stage Door Theater.
Events | Blumenthal Performing Arts

With either of the above, there are plenty of dining options nearby.

Double Door Inn has Bill Hanna's Jazz Jam every Tuesday night for something a little more rough around the edges.

Old 12-30-2013, 02:11 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,806,558 times
Would love for Charlotte to actually have a smooth jazz mainstream radio station, not HD or the music channels via your local cable provider. Bring some sophistication to the airwaves with artists such as Boney James, Keiko Matsui, Nims, Jeff Kashiwa...the list goes on!

Old 01-01-2014, 05:25 PM

2,742 posts, read 6,752,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
As a huge smooth jazz fan...the jazz scene in Charlotte is a joke!
I thought you moved? ”Letting go does not mean you stop caring. It means you stop trying to force others to.”

To the OP there are several restaurants in Charlotte that have live jazz, mostly on the weekends. You’ll want to call them to be certain. Here are some I would suggest, in this order….

Charlotte Steakhouse - South End | Sullivan's Steakhouse
Cajun Queen Restaurant, Charlotte NC-A New Orleans Restaurant & Bar
Villa Antonio | Italian Restaurant of Charlotte North Carolina
Welcome | Mickey & Mooch | Two Great Locations | Lake Norman and Arboretum
Blue Restaurant & Bar, Best Mediterranean Restaurant in Charlotte, North Carolina

If you’re also just a jazz lover, below are two groups that sponsor local events. You’ll want to join them on twitter or facebook because their sites aren’t always up to date.

JAZZ DIVA ENTERTAINMENT

thejazzarts.org

And my favorite local jazz band is 5thandyork Follow them on twitter to see where they are each week. You can catch them most weekends performing in the Ritz Carlton lobby. Very nice atmosphere, nice crowd of people. And if they’re not performing they’ll be some other act there. The Ritz-Carlton, Charlotte: The Lobby Lounge Restaurant There's a real nice restaurant there too called BLT Steak Charlotte, Steakhouse Charlotte, Charlotte Steak House, so another option might be for you guys to go there and then do the jazz in the lobby afterwards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte