Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 10:00 AM

644 posts, read 1,429,961 times

Advertisements

To the op....I am from NY live in Atlanta now, but lived in Charlotte for 8 months from may 2010 to Jan 2011 and I experienced more racism in charlotre than I have anywhere else (except Alabama). People there are VERY cliquish and not as open minded as I would have thought. RDU is better but not big enough. I hope you make a wise decision. Savannah is a beautiful city, but is more "typical traditional south". But its on the coast which is a plus!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2014, 10:39 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,890,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajjam View Post
To the op....I am from NY live in Atlanta now, but lived in Charlotte for 8 months from may 2010 to Jan 2011 and I experienced more racism in charlotre than I have anywhere else (except Alabama). People there are VERY cliquish and not as open minded as I would have thought. RDU is better but not big enough. I hope you make a wise decision. Savannah is a beautiful city, but is more "typical traditional south". But its on the coast which is a plus!!!
Let's be clear: you lived and worked in Monroe, a small town on the outskirts of Charlotte that no one has a reason to visit or even travel through. I seriously doubt you could name three instances of actual racism that you experienced within Charlotte itself--at least not something that you couldn't experience anywhere else. I lived in the Charlotte area for several years, and I'm a Black guy with locs (or "dreads" as some call them); I've been all throughout the city and in different places in the metro area and have even had interaction with the cops due to speeding/traffic violations and the only instance of racism I think I may have experienced is bad service from a young White waitress at an Uptown establishment. Somehow I doubt that your experience was like the Selma to Montgomery march in the 8 months you were there while mine wasn't anything even remotely close to that in the nearly 8 years I lived there.

And it's interesting that this "racism" claim is popping up now. As many complaints as you've lodged against Charlotte in the past, never once have you said anything about racism until now. That's very odd; as a Black person, that would be at the very top of the list of negatives I'd mention about a place I didn't like if that were true.

Last edited by Mutiny77; 01-07-2014 at 10:47 PM..

Old 01-08-2014, 01:47 AM

3,866 posts, read 4,273,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Let's be clear: you lived and worked in Monroe, a small town on the outskirts of Charlotte that no one has a reason to visit or even travel through. I seriously doubt you could name three instances of actual racism that you experienced within Charlotte itself--at least not something that you couldn't experience anywhere else. I lived in the Charlotte area for several years, and I'm a Black guy with locs (or "dreads" as some call them); I've been all throughout the city and in different places in the metro area and have even had interaction with the cops due to speeding/traffic violations and the only instance of racism I think I may have experienced is bad service from a young White waitress at an Uptown establishment. Somehow I doubt that your experience was like the Selma to Montgomery march in the 8 months you were there while mine wasn't anything even remotely close to that in the nearly 8 years I lived there.

And it's interesting that this "racism" claim is popping up now. As many complaints as you've lodged against Charlotte in the past, never once have you said anything about racism until now. That's very odd; as a Black person, that would be at the very top of the list of negatives I'd mention about a place I didn't like if that were true.

Maybe he/she should try living 40+ miles away from Atlanta then make a comparison. rural Georgia is still very much rural Georgia. And note the I am from NY not NYC reference as if to imply NYC. Some of my fake relatives used to try that one to make people believe they were from NYC.....lol, I am from "NY".

For those of us southern Black people with relatives up-norf and have experienced/lived up-norf know NY state and/or NYC got problems with race relations. As if though rural NY or mid-size cities in the state of New York or anywhere else are light years ahead of Charlotte with respect to race relations, hell-to-no from personal experience.

Although racism exists, people experience what I call small-town/metros attitudes (reticent to fast-pace change) which are more prevalent in the traditional smaller metros throughout the US. Inferring that race relations in today's Birmingham is worse than Rochester is ridiculous and perception, not reality.

Old 01-08-2014, 07:18 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,638,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
Maybe he/she should try living 40+ miles away from Atlanta then make a comparison. rural Georgia is still very much rural Georgia. And note the I am from NY not NYC reference as if to imply NYC. Some of my fake relatives used to try that one to make people believe they were from NYC.....lol, I am from "NY".

For those of us southern Black people with relatives up-norf and have experienced/lived up-norf know NY state and/or NYC got problems with race relations. As if though rural NY or mid-size cities in the state of New York or anywhere else are light years ahead of Charlotte with respect to race relations, hell-to-no from personal experience.

Although racism exists, people experience what I call small-town/metros attitudes (reticent to fast-pace change) which are more prevalent in the traditional smaller metros throughout the US. Inferring that race relations in today's Birmingham is worse than Rochester is ridiculous and perception, not reality.
My wife is from NC but lived in Alabama for most of her life. She was shocked to find blatant racism in S.Philly and NYC. She even had a professor at Temple use the N word in grad school.

I always laugh when some people from my burb outside of Pittsburgh talk about how scary the South is when it comes to racism.... all while witnessing 4 or 5 acts of blatant racism right in front of us. Ignorance is everywhere but I have to remind them how segregated northern cities are and most of the towns outside of city are country as hell...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte