Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 01:34 PM

67 posts, read 192,546 times

Advertisements

and one more thing: do the math on the taxes...it was only a few hundred dollars difference a year, so pretty nominal in the grand scheme. We are very happy we are in Cornelius (or Davidson) vs. Mooresville if you want the small town feel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2014, 01:52 PM

86 posts, read 220,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiToNC View Post
and one more thing: do the math on the taxes...it was only a few hundred dollars difference a year, so pretty nominal in the grand scheme. We are very happy we are in Cornelius (or Davidson) vs. Mooresville if you want the small town feel.
Thank you! So Mooresvile feels a lot larger than those two towns? I guess I will see that when I get down there in a few weeks. It's so hard- I am pretty sure I will want the convenience of Cornelius and Davidson but for our price range there is not much ($425K) that is new and/or updated to our liking. Coming from CT it's been all about fixing things and updating things in our house on a budget since everything is so expensive. The appeal of a new home already done to our taste is hard to deny- I am more willing to find an older home at a lower price and gut the kitchen, put down new floors, etc and make it to our taste but my husband is less willing. I tell him that will take less time than building a new house! I guess we will see how we feel when we get down there.

You also said you don't go downtown for entertainment a lot which surprised you. I can relate- life is busy with young kids. But I do hope to get out- maybe not always to downtown, so is there a lot to do- lots of places to dine, etc. for a 40-ish couple?

Wish there was a Trader Joe's there (far from me now- would love to have one closer) but I did hear a Whole Foods is going in!

Thanks again!!

Old 01-05-2014, 01:55 PM

Also, is it hard to get a boat slip on Lake Norman if you live in Cornelius or Davidson? And if you don't live in a boat community?

Old 01-05-2014, 02:15 PM

ChitoNC- saw your post of things to do on the other thread. Sounds great! The Peninsula looks beautiful. There are a couple of houses that I liked- probably the smallest ones in the neighborhood Are there a lot of kids in the 8/10 range? Where we are coming from in CT I feel like all the women talk about is tennis, their last marathon, etc. Don't get me wrong- I like to play tennis and shop and entertain but I like to get beyond the surface- looking for a little more substance, down to earth, humorous place...so what you said about snootiness does worry me a bit.

Old 01-05-2014, 05:56 PM

2,221 posts, read 4,389,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slctnc View Post
ChitoNC- saw your post of things to do on the other thread. Sounds great! The Peninsula looks beautiful. There are a couple of houses that I liked- probably the smallest ones in the neighborhood Are there a lot of kids in the 8/10 range? Where we are coming from in CT I feel like all the women talk about is tennis, their last marathon, etc. Don't get me wrong- I like to play tennis and shop and entertain but I like to get beyond the surface- looking for a little more substance, down to earth, humorous place...so what you said about snootiness does worry me a bit.
Many women that migrate to Charlotte pick up tennis, playin leagues. I've been on grievance committees for tennis, wife is on tennis committee of some Charlotteleagues. If you think it is popular in CT, it is 10 times more popular here.Women tennis and drama go hand in hand, can't avoid it..

Old 01-05-2014, 06:03 PM

Yes - Mville seems bigger. it's where all of the big box stores and chain restaurants are: best buy, target, walmart, Dick's, Marshalls, etc. - so everyone from Davidson, Cornelius, & much of Huntersville all need to go up there every week or two. Davidson and Cornelius have zoning restrictions that don't even allow new chain restaurants to come in.

Nightlife: as i mentioned in the other post, we are one of the youngest in the neighborhood (of 900 homes!) and mostly hang out with couples in their 40s. Christmas parties, tiki parties, boat tie ups, etc. are plentiful if you fall in with the right crowd. We met most at the local or neighborhood parks & kids school activities. Bars with bands, DJs, etc. are all to be found, and typically the crowd is 35-45 (the Rudder skews younger). You don't have to live in the neighborhood to join the Peninsula Club (they have a social/pool membership) or Yacht Club - both have regular parties, events, & happy hours. Big Tennis clique at the Peninsula Club, i hear. And yes, a yoga pants, starbucks wearin, big luxury SUV driving culture...but not everyone, and you luckily get to pick your friends . But you will see snobbiness as diversity is limited. I don't think 'down to earth' is an adjective used in Cornelius much...and you'll certainly find folks with money who don't flaunt it, but more who will only focus on watches, cars, purses, clothes, etc. 90% of the couples we've met have moved from the NE like you, so things will feel very familiar.

If you are looking for a boat slip, the Yacht Club may be a good idea to hit the social & boat slip birds with one stone. It's not hard to find a slip to rent on LKN, typically $100-200/mo depending on location/commitment - check craigslist.

You will rarely find new/newer homes unless you look to the fringe of growth, putting you pretty far from the lake. The homes in the area are typically built well and in great shape, but need updating as you mention. The Peninsula was built in 1992-1996, so wallpaper, brass fixtures/hardware, and old kitchens/baths are plentiful. The good news is they probably need more of a facelift update than gutting. Location is everything if you want to be near the lake, and you'll pay for that (and the brass is free!). I do have some friends leaving Cornelius (smaller subdivision) and building new up in Mooresville off of Perth road, so you aren't crazy (and they'll get a boat slip...probably same price range).

Good luck to you though! Keep the questions coming, happy to help.

Old 01-05-2014, 06:13 PM

3 posts, read 4,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slctnc View Post

Welcome to NC, we relocated from CT to Mooresville this past July and very happy. We have our youngest in Mooresville high school and couldn't be happier with the move. We don't live on the lake, but there are plenty of places where you can dry dock your boat (for alot less than ct) and enjoy the water. Plenty to do as well.

Again, WELCOME!

Old 01-05-2014, 06:14 PM

i hope that last post didn't scare you off when describing the people - we've certainly met life-long friends here and LOVE the area/people. I'm an avid mountain biker, camper, and frisbee golfer...who just happens to live in a big house in a fancypants area. I'm the liberal in the room wearing the $40 Timex...not everyone is as i describe above, and again, you get to pick your friends .

Old 01-05-2014, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiToNC View Post
i hope that last post didn't scare you off when describing the people - we've certainly met life-long friends here and LOVE the area/people. I'm an avid mountain biker, camper, and frisbee golfer...who just happens to live in a big house in a fancypants area. I'm the liberal in the room wearing the $40 Timex...not everyone is as i describe above, and again, you get to pick your friends .
Are you kidding? We've cancelled our move based on your last post! Just kidding...my husband and family like a good balance...we certainly like to have fun parties and get togethers but at the same time we like quiet family movie nights- I can't deal with being so focused on a social life. I would prefer to have a few good friends that we hang out with a lot. It sounds like a lot of what goes on here is what goes on there...I guess it's everywhere. I guess you can either participate or not- I just hate that most of these social groups are either full time participation or you're out of the loop- kwim?

Maybe Cornelius and Davidson are too small for us? They sound very similar to where we are coming from. We live in a town on the water, about 18k, no big box stores....maybe it's too 'everyone knows everyone' for me. I also want to be close to shopping, etc- but you do have Birkdale close by, something I sure don't have here. Something to think about. I have a feeling most of the people we will meet/hang out with will be either neighbors or people we get to know through our kids sports teams.

Thanks so much again for your help! I will keep the questions coming

Old 01-05-2014, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZnGuy View Post
Many women that migrate to Charlotte pick up tennis, playin leagues. I've been on grievance committees for tennis, wife is on tennis committee of some Charlotteleagues. If you think it is popular in CT, it is 10 times more popular here.Women tennis and drama go hand in hand, can't avoid it..
Ugh! Why?? I just don't understand the drama! Grown women playing tennis- it's not like we are playing for a chance to be in the US Open- I want to play for fun! And then have a cocktail after!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte