Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 09:53 PM

642 posts, read 1,170,228 times

Advertisements

It is highly likely that TWC is throttling Netflix. TWC hate Netflix.

Trouble is, TWC's cable offering is dead but just does not know it yet. As soon as Netflix gets to show the SuperBowl or similar it will finally be game over.

I am not having Netflix throttling problems as yet but from now on, I will surely be on the lookout for it and will unfailingly report it to TWC at length.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2014, 06:31 AM

1,241 posts, read 2,321,287 times
I streamed a movie last night on Netflix over TWC and it was HD. Could be your equipment or throttling. TWC should be able to tell you if they are throttling you.

Old 01-07-2014, 08:27 AM

564 posts, read 1,453,848 times
I am running basic roadrunner with a dlink cloud router and a Dlink cube booster down stairs and have full signal. Use Google Chromecast for Netflix and it is always fast with a perfect HD picture. I love the Chromecast and did notice the picture is much better through the cast then it is through the TV app.

Old 01-07-2014, 08:40 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,609,285 times
If you do a Google search for Time Warner throttles Netflix, you may find a fix that helps you.

Old 01-07-2014, 09:50 AM

467 posts, read 1,496,342 times
Just to reiterate, other streaming services look great, it's specifically a netflix and time warner combination. It seems to happen more during peak hours, but when I do a bandwidth test I still have PLENTY of bandwidth (10-20Mbps) available. I put a request in to technical support to look into the issue but of course I've heard nothing and will have to go through the entire process again.

Old 01-08-2014, 09:34 AM

4,139 posts, read 11,488,479 times
Hmmmm…..I haven't noticed any problems and we use a lot of Netflix with TWC. We use a LOT of internet per month too. I will have to watch for it.

Old 01-08-2014, 03:15 PM

539 posts, read 1,498,123 times
You could try this:
Block Time Warner Cable Stream Throttling : DotA2

Old 01-13-2014, 09:37 AM

227 posts, read 392,618 times
No problems here. I have Time Warner in Huntersville, and I have a roku set up with each of my televisions. I never have quality issues with Netflix, or any other streaming service.

Old 02-04-2014, 09:17 AM

227 posts, read 392,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unthought_known View Post
No problems here. I have Time Warner in Huntersville, and I have a roku set up with each of my televisions. I never have quality issues with Netflix, or any other streaming service.
Well, I think this thread jinx'd me! I moved into my house in late-September and Time Warner was fine for several months. Right around the time this thread started, I noticed that my connection has gone downhill.

I have a roku on each of my tv's with the Time Warner App, so that I can watch tv without paying monthly for a cable box. Over the last month, I constantly get "Loading Channel" messages. I tried watching True Detective on demand, and I couldn't get through 3 minutes before giving up because it would constantly buffer. Netflix is spotty, and watching shows through Plex is no longer an option.

I did a speed test last night at around 7pm and got 0.74 Mbps download on one test, and about 1.5 Mbps on another test. This is with Turbo, which should be up to 20 Mbps. I tried rebooting the modem and router, but that didn't help. I'll try plugging directly into my modem, but both my modem and router are about a year old and they're highly rated, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Oh, one more thing. I received a mailer that said I can boost my internet for $10. I called them and asked for the next level of internet, and they said it's only available if I re-bundle everything and add phone service. WTF?

Old 02-04-2014, 11:46 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,489,417 times
Now that the Supreme Court has ruled in favor of Verizon in the case dealing with net neutrality, expect more delays and problems with Netflix. Netflix uses about 28% of the bandwidth available in America for streaming their video, so Verizon, Time Warner and others of their ilk, can implement a surcharge on Netflix and Amazon. Guess who will pay for it in the long run? You, of course! Welcome to the new world where corporations control everything!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte