Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2014, 01:43 PM

1,826 posts, read 2,494,422 times

Advertisements

Yup thanks to net neutrality getting struck down they can legally choose to throttle certain activities. I have noticed the occasional extremely slow performance when trying to stream Amazon Prime at times even though it seems everything else I do on my computer is working fine. It also happens quite often when I'm streaming the Watch ESPN app on my iPad. Thanks Time Warner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2015, 02:05 PM

5,177 posts, read 4,789,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trademarked View Post
For the past few months I've struggled to get good quality video on netflix. I can stream it perfect from my phones data plan, but through Time Warner Cable it is terrible, even though I've used their own speed test verify that I have between 10Mbps-20Mbps at any time.

Big Cable is evil to the core, and I think they are limiting data for customers who use netflix in order to suppress their competition. Be aware!
Maybe they are taking a lesson from ComCast, and rate limiting NetFlix. Remember that the cable providers are also content providers. Of course they want to screw their competitors while also screwing their isp customers into paying more or buy the cable provider's competitive content.

Welcome to the REAL issue of net neutrality.

Old 01-26-2015, 02:09 PM

5,177 posts, read 4,789,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
Now that the Supreme Court has ruled in favor of Verizon in the case dealing with net neutrality, expect more delays and problems with Netflix. Netflix uses about 28% of the bandwidth available in America for streaming their video, so Verizon, Time Warner and others of their ilk, can implement a surcharge on Netflix and Amazon. Guess who will pay for it in the long run? You, of course! Welcome to the new world where corporations control everything!
You know what bugs me the most about the net neutrality issue? That the idiotlogue right frames it as a free market versus guuuuvment issue.

You hit the nail on the head, my friend.

Old 01-26-2015, 04:41 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,489,417 times
Sadly, in the long run, folks who try to pare their cable bill down by cutting back on the cable TV portion of it (dropping HBO and other premium channels and "extended tiers"), will find that TWC and AT&T jack up the internet costs to offset lost TV channel revenue. Any costs associated with the coming merger of Comcast and Time Warner Cable will be paid for by their "captive customers."

Already, the CEO of Comcast told customer service representatives to not let customers ask for discounts when their bill suddenly jumps up after "special offers" expire. Talk about corporate greed!

Old 01-26-2015, 07:53 PM

2,348 posts, read 3,463,022 times
Is the bigger problem greed on the TWC/Comcast/insert major cable company side or with the conglomerates that have the majority of the channels and dictate the price the cable companies basically have to charge in order to pay them for their content?

Old 01-30-2015, 12:41 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,489,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Howl View Post
Is the bigger problem greed on the TWC/Comcast/insert major cable company side or with the conglomerates that have the majority of the channels and dictate the price the cable companies basically have to charge in order to pay them for their content?
It's actually a problem with both sides. The cable companies nickle and dime you on increases in modem fees, box fees and overall programming, while CBS,ABC etc., gouge the cable companies for higher re-transmission fees. If you use an antenna, CBS and friends get nada and have to manage on what they make on their ad revenue. Greed is the modus operandi! I used to think WBTV should be called the Scott Clark Toyota channel as it seemed that every third commercial was theirs!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte