Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 12:45 PM

32 posts, read 131,234 times

Advertisements

My fiance and I may be moving to the Charlotte area by the first of the month. We've been doing a little research on towns to look in, and the ones we like so far are Mount Holly, Clover, and Fort Mill. Anyone have any thoughts on these areas?

We're in our 20's, I'm just out of college with a possible job offer in Charlotte, we have a 13 month old, and we like small towns. We're originally from New England, born and bred - I know some areas are more of a draw for transplants and some areas prefer to keep to themselves. We want to live somewhere friendly!

Also, any suggestions of areas on the northern side of Charlotte? I'm not sure yet where the job will be located in the city, or where my territory will be once I'm in the field, so we're trying to choose a variety of areas to look at. Someone mentioned Indian Trail in my previous post (titled "Another 'We might be moving' Post").

Any thoughts on these areas would be great! TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2007, 12:47 PM

4,729 posts, read 19,359,985 times
Clover is too far from Charlotte and still pretty country. FM has a lot of transplants (self included). Mt. Holly is nice, but not as many transplants as the rest of the Charlotte area. Commute from Indian Trail to downtown Charlotte is a mess.

Old 11-27-2007, 12:52 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,308,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groove1 View Post
Clover is too far from Charlotte and still pretty country. FM has a lot of transplants (self included). Mt. Holly is nice, but not as many transplants as the rest of the Charlotte area. Commute from Indian Trail to downtown Charlotte is a mess.
Dittos to everything you just said

Although it is worth mentioning, I really think Clover is a nice place - just too far for a commute to Charlotte everyday, that's all. Mt. Holly would be most affordable of all those mentioned.

Old 11-27-2007, 01:01 PM

3,364 posts, read 9,981,089 times
Put my comments on here, we had looked at houses in all off the above.

Clover was nice but a little too far for the commute.

Agree with mt. holly being most affordable

Parts are older and every now and agin on the outskirts a new development springs up.

At the time off looking there was nothing for us in For Mill so we ended up in steele creek approx 200 yards from Fort Mill.

A lot will depned on your price range and possible commute.

Old 11-27-2007, 01:27 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,780,561 times
Try York, SC. It's a charming small town not too far from Clover.

Old 11-27-2007, 02:52 PM

2,445 posts, read 7,419,550 times
Another vote for Mt. Holly. It's friendly, affordable and convenient to Charlotte.

Old 11-27-2007, 03:27 PM

153 posts, read 466,292 times
The Fort Mill and Clover Schools rank better than those located in area 42/3. I know you only have a 13 month old at this point but schools will also drive the appreciation as a by-product of demand. Fort Mill offers an easy commute with Stellar schools. Indian Trail is a good area with affordable housing also.

Try this site:

GreatSchools.net

Old 11-27-2007, 05:46 PM

12,642 posts, read 15,532,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckyanne View Post
My fiance and I may be moving to the Charlotte area by the first of the month. We've been doing a little research on towns to look in, and the ones we like so far are Mount Holly, Clover, and Fort Mill. Anyone have any thoughts on these areas?

We're in our 20's, I'm just out of college with a possible job offer in Charlotte, we have a 13 month old, and we like small towns. We're originally from New England, born and bred - I know some areas are more of a draw for transplants and some areas prefer to keep to themselves. We want to live somewhere friendly!

Also, any suggestions of areas on the northern side of Charlotte? I'm not sure yet where the job will be located in the city, or where my territory will be once I'm in the field, so we're trying to choose a variety of areas to look at. Someone mentioned Indian Trail in my previous post (titled "Another 'We might be moving' Post").

Any thoughts on these areas would be great! TIA!
You've picked areas from the 4:00 to12:00 position....have you looked at Kannapolis or that area?

Old 11-27-2007, 07:14 PM

221 posts, read 721,305 times
We moved to this area from Florida and have found nothing but friendly people. I think that you would be surprised by how many people live here that are actually from the north. There are also many small towns to choose from that all have have charm that you are looking for.

In my opion your home should be relative to your job so that you commute is not a nightmare. Personal commuting experience.....Mount Holly is must closer of a commute to Uptown. There are many other small towns near there such as McAdenville, Belmont, Lowell. Clover and Fort Mill have many pluses but your commute will be longer.....Steele Creek is close to south carolina and has good shopping.

As far as the north side.....Huntersville and Concord are very nice as well.

You have tons of options open to you and you will know the area is right for you once you see it....... happy hunting.

Old 11-27-2007, 07:59 PM

32 posts, read 131,234 times
Thanks for all the info! I'll investigate some of the other towns you guys suggested as well.

The reason I'm looking for ideas on all sides of Charlotte is that the first few months of the job will have me in an office, and then after that I'll be working from home traveling around a specified area...and I don't know yet where that area will be. They just told me the "Charlotte area", and from what I know about the company that could be anywhere.

Schools are definitely of interest to me, in fact I asked about them in another post and got some peculiar answers...But, I figure if worse comes to worst then we can always move before my son gets to be school age. That's one of the pluses of relocating while he's small!

Thank you again for all your help!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte